Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The old 'dinosaur' codec is much easier to work with as computers don't have to decode it first, and tends to produce better images. It's just large in file size is all.
Sure, but that battle's over.

These days, all phones and AFAIK all DSLRs use h264.

01-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sure, but that battle's over.

These days, all phones and AFAIK all DSLRs use h264.

Not saying they don't. Am saying they provide higher bit rates to provide the same high quality video in this newer format. Pentax haven't come to the party on that front.

Olympus and Sony both do high bitrate video options, WITH sensor based stabilisation. Time for Pentax to catchup, let alone pass the competition.
01-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3 has 18Mbps, right? My Sony A7 only does 24.

Olympus/Panasonic FTW.
01-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The K-3 has 18Mbps, right? My Sony A7 only does 24.

Olympus/Panasonic FTW.

Without starting this all again, other manufacturers are looking after their customers long after the cameras release date. Adding completely new core functionality and not just fixing bugs present at initial release and ensuring compatibility with new products...

From DPReview :

Sony continues to embrace the feature-adding firmware trend by adding high bitrate video recording to its a6000 mirrorless camera. Firmware v2.0 adds the ability to record in the XAVC S format to the 16-month-old camera, offering 50Mbps shooting at 24, 30, or 60p (and PAL equivalents). Aside from the updated firmware, a Class 10 SDXC card is the only other thing you'll need to get started.
As always, we're impressed to see a manufacturer adding features to a camera that's already so far into its lifespan - especially for a camera that received our Gold Award in its original state, so was already considered excellent. The update also promises to improve the camera's startup times.

01-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Steve had a Sigma OS lens, but from memory you had to keep some button pressed the whole time to power it / enable it. That's a point that deserves more investigation, IF you can successfully find a sigma Pentax mount lens WITH OS build in.
Yes,that was true and in reality it was absolutely no problem whatsoever being that the only time you need OS was when hand holding the camera.
I have since sold all my Pentax gear and lenses to move to Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkII with the 5-axis IBIS system. And it's so good!
01-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes,that was true and in reality it was absolutely no problem whatsoever being that the only time you need OS was when hand holding the camera.
I have since sold all my Pentax gear and lenses to move to Olympus OM-D E-M10 MkII with the 5-axis IBIS system. And it's so good!

Always like to hear the feedback Steve. That Olympus system, and now Sony too, sounds like what Pentax had years ago and threw away.

What button did you have to hold down please? I forget.
01-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Without starting this all again, other manufacturers are looking after their customers long after the cameras release date. Adding completely new core functionality and not just fixing bugs present at initial release and ensuring compatibility with new products...

From DPReview :

Sony continues to embrace the feature-adding firmware trend by adding high bitrate video recording to its a6000 mirrorless camera. Firmware v2.0 adds the ability to record in the XAVC S format to the 16-month-old camera, offering 50Mbps shooting at 24, 30, or 60p (and PAL equivalents). Aside from the updated firmware, a Class 10 SDXC card is the only other thing you'll need to get started.
As always, we're impressed to see a manufacturer adding features to a camera that's already so far into its lifespan - especially for a camera that received our Gold Award in its original state, so was already considered excellent. The update also promises to improve the camera's startup times.
What about my A7, then, Richandfleur?

Pretty selective example - and from the same company! ☺

01-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #23
Pentaxian

What about my A7, then, Richandfleur?

Pretty selective example - and from the same company! ☺

What about it?

I'm comparing similar price point models from Sony, Olympus and Pentax.
They all feature sensor stabilisation technology, but two of them use this in video mode and have much higher bitrate options, at roughly 2.5x better than Pentax.
And one of them added this ability to it's camera, for free, over a year later.
01-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

What about it?
I thought you said Sony cared about me and would improve it after I bought it! ☺

Look, you *know* firmware can not do anything the hardware already couldn't do.

The a6000 must *always* have been capable of that bitrate, but perhaps it was not tested or the software not updated at the release date.

No firmware update will give you h264 on a K-x because there is no encoder for it on its circuit board.

The Pentax FF will possibly have 4k video, if not at first but later through an update because as of October last year Fujitsu made this available on their Milbeaut 8 chipset.
01-11-2016, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

What button did you have to hold down please? I forget.
½ press on the shutter button.
01-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I thought you said Sony cared about me and would improve it after I bought it! ☺

Look, you *know* firmware can not do anything the hardware already couldn't do.

The a6000 must *always* have been capable of that bitrate, but perhaps it was not tested or the software not updated at the release date.

No firmware update will give you h264 on a K-x because there is no encoder for it on its circuit board.

The Pentax FF will possibly have 4k video, if not at first but later through an update because as of October last year Fujitsu made this available on their Milbeaut 8 chipset.

You could pick a hundred different cameras to talk about, but I'm referring to those in a similar class to Pentax's current offerings.
An early FF offering from Sony doesn't fit the bill, sell it and buy something from Sony that does.
I can't sell mine and buy something more capable from Pentax, as they haven't touched their offering in years.

I'm not saying software can create what the hardware can't support, but Pentax haven't offered new functionality in firmware updates for a very long time.

I would like to think that the K-3 had enough grunt to power a higher bit rate in video mode.
Don't reference a K-x, that's adding nothing to the conversation.
By contrast current camera comparable offerings from Sony and Olympus do have sensor shift working during video mode (like Pentax once did in the K-5/K-7 era), and they offer high bit rate options also.
Pentax, simply, don't.

---------- Post added 01-12-16 at 04:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
½ press on the shutter button.
Thanks,

I wonder if that's related to focussing?

Which makes me wonder if you could remap that button to something else also.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your sensor stabilisation now
01-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

sell it and buy something from Sony that does.
According to you, that shouldn't be necessary.

You can't have your DPR cake and eat it, too. 😉
01-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #28
Pentaxian

According to you, that shouldn't be necessary.

You can't have your DPR cake and eat it, too. ��

Move on, stop trolling.

I've never said Sony provided all features to all cameras. I can give you examples of cameras from Sony and Olympus and Fuji etc who have all provided additional functions via their free firmware updates. I can't do that with Pentax, as it hasn't happened in a long time. I believe focus peaking came to the K-01 perhaps, no that little one, the original Q?

In seven versions of K-3 firmware there are 2 "Added" references, no 3 if you include an automatic power off when the camera detects it's having a mirror seizure:
  • Added Bracket shooting in [Anti-Aliasing Filter Simulator]
  • Added Diffraction Correction on Lens Correction
  • Added automatic reset function when detecting rarely occur abnormal motion of the sequence (- Personally I'd have rather a solution for the root problem, rather than a pull the power out if it happens 'fix')
Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Sony and Olympus each offer high bit rate video options. The A7ii offers the XAVC S codec. I'm sorry if your original A7 doesn't. I feel for you because no camera from Pentax offers anything close either, so we've got that in common.

Sony and Olympus now each have a camera/cameras with sensor stabilisation during video recording. They also do some cool interactions with lenses that have OS onboard, so you can get the best from each setup.
Pentax doesn't.

That's the point of this thread, how does one gets lens stabilisation working.
Steve and others have answered this by explaining that only earlier model Sigma lenses have real OS built into the lens, in Pentax mount.
To use it (if you are lucky enough to find one with OS built in) you have to hold the shutter button down in a half press to enable the in lens stabilisation.

QuoteOriginally posted by archetwist Quote
Hello, as we know, in the video mode K-3 uses electronic, and not mechanical stabilization. I have also read that for some reason the in-lens stabilization (present in some of the Sigma lenses, for example) does not work. Can anyone confirm whether the in-lens stabilization works in the K-3's video mode?
Hi Archetwist, I hope the above has answered your initial questions?

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you onboard
01-12-2016, 03:40 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

*You* generalized in post 19 that manufacturers did this, I pointed out that it's a matter of models even within a manufacturer's lineup ... deal with it, mate.
01-12-2016, 04:40 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I wonder if that's related to focussing?

Which makes me wonder if you could remap that button to something else also.
Doesn't your K-30 work the same way in stills? SR activates on half-press (then wait 'til the symbol goes green) rather than on all the time?
That's how I had all my Pentax cams set up. Saves battery

---------- Post added 01-12-16 at 09:43 PM ----------

Steve and others have answered this by explaining that only earlier model Sigma lenses have real OS built into the lens, in Pentax mount.
To use it (if you are lucky enough to find one with OS built in) you have to hold the shutter button down in a half press to enable the in lens stabilisation.
..and after switching the lens OS mode 'on' of course.