Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

K-3 and in-lens stabilization

Hello, as we know, in the video mode K-3 uses electronic, and not mechanical stabilization. I have also read that for some reason the in-lens stabilization (present in some of the Sigma lenses, for example) does not work. Can anyone confirm whether the in-lens stabilization works in the K-3's video mode?

01-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by archetwist Quote
Hello, as we know, in the video mode K-3 uses electronic, and not mechanical stabilization. I have also read that for some reason the in-lens stabilization (present in some of the Sigma lenses, for example) does not work. Can anyone confirm whether the in-lens stabilization works in the K-3's video mode?
If the lens supports it, in-lens stabilization will work. However, Sigma only produced OS lenses in the Pentax mount for a very brief period (between 2011 and 2013, roughly). Pentax variants of current Sigma lenses do not have OS built-in even if "OS" is a part of the lens name.

You might be able to find a used 17-50mm or 70-200mm with OS, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You might be able to find a used 17-50mm or 70-200mm with OS, however.
And if you do find one, you don't want both systems going at the same time--in-body and in-lens stabilization don't play nice together.
01-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

does the O/S work in my 150-500 sigma for sure? It appears to when I've used it occassionally. I have used the Camera SR mostly in my K3 and had the O/S turned off. Also it has 2 settings for O/S. I think Sigma's web sight says no to K mounts but other sights incl pentax reviews says yes?

01-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
does the O/S work in my 150-500 sigma for sure?
It works in my 2010 version, the two settings are for 'normal' or panning.
01-02-2016, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

does the O/S work in my 150-500 sigma for sure? It appears to when I've used it occassionally. I have used the Camera SR mostly in my K3 and had the O/S turned off. Also it has 2 settings for O/S. I think Sigma's web sight says no to K mounts but other sights incl pentax reviews says yes?
If you were to buy this lens now, it wouldn't have OS built in. But since your version does, you can choose to use it in place of the cameras SR. In practice the biggest difference is that OS makes the viewfinder image appear stabilized.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

OS makes the viewfinder image appear stabilized.
My tired old eyes thankyou for this new info! I'll try it on O//S the next few times

01-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you were to buy this lens now, it wouldn't have OS built in. But since your version does, you can choose to use it in place of the cameras SR. In practice the biggest difference is that OS makes the viewfinder image appear stabilized.
My 150-500 is from last year. It has OS and the OS works. I'm sure the same is true of the 50-500, which unlike the 150-500, is still in production.

All information about the 150-500 has been removed from Sigma web pages, but Sigma Japan website indicated that OS didn't work with K-mount film cameras. The US site said it didn't work with K-mount or Sony cameras.
01-02-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My 150-500 is from last year. It has OS and the OS works. I'm sure the same is true of the 50-500, which unlike the 150-500, is still in production.

All information about the 150-500 has been removed from Sigma web pages, but Sigma Japan website indicated that OS didn't work with K-mount film cameras. The US site said it didn't work with K-mount or Sony cameras.
Like SDM, it probably won't work with film cameras, but I haven't tried.

As for the technology in the 50-500mm, yup it would be the same as the OS in the 150-150mm, but again if you were to order a 50-500mm today it wouldn't have a stabilizer. A few years ago I did get to review a copy with OS, however.

Adam

01-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like SDM, it probably won't work with film cameras, but I haven't tried.

As for the technology in the 50-500mm, yup it would be the same as the OS in the 150-150mm, but again if you were to order a 50-500mm today it wouldn't have a stabilizer. A few years ago I did get to review a copy with OS, however.
The Sigma Japan site says...

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 8.20.33 PM.png
Views: 364
Size:  12.1 KB

Sigma USA says...

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 8.22.00 PM.png
Views: 428
Size:  26.7 KB

So Sigma says the OS on the 50-500 works on both Pentax and Sony...

Interesting that the 150-500 is still listed on the Japan site as well. It says the same thing about OS...
01-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Interesting that the 150-500 is still listed on the Japan site as well. It says the same thing about OS
So which stabalization is better or preferred? Both 4 stops on a K3 ? Image stabalization in the viewfinder the kicker?

P.S. I wish the lock worked at both ends of the zoom and in between as well.
P.P.S Music plays when it is auto focusing so I knew when it was focusing
01-02-2016, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So which stabalization is better or preferred? Both 4 stops on a K3 ? Image stabalization in the viewfinder the kicker?

P.S. I wish the lock worked at both ends of the zoom and in between as well.
P.P.S Music plays when it is auto focusing so I knew when it was focusing
For the way I shoot the viewfinder stabilization is the main benefit.
01-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for all the clarifications. It's sad, though. Looks like a better deal would have been to buy a K-5 instead. :-( It has mechanical stabilization and a better codec on top of that...
01-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by archetwist Quote
Thanks for all the clarifications. It's sad, though. Looks like a better deal would have been to buy a K-5 instead. :-( It has mechanical stabilization and a better codec on top of that...

It has the old dinosaur MPEG codec, but as long as you don't mind - and a couple of people like Kadajawi prefer it, IIRC, yes, you get sensor stabilisation!
01-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It has the old dinosaur MPEG codec, but as long as you don't mind - and a couple of people like Kadajawi prefer it, IIRC, yes, you get sensor stabilisation!

Half the appeal to Pentax of the newer video format is that it produces smaller video files. That's quite frustrating given they're a company who normally pushes their IQ prowess over the competition (legitimately too, as Pentax tend to get more out of sensors in still images than others). The old 'dinosaur' codec is much easier to work with as computers don't have to decode it first, and tends to produce better images. It's just large in file size is all.

Pentax took 2 steps forward with the move to the K-30 and above video, introducing full manual control and 1080p at 24 fps. (From mammary even Nikon still has issues where you can't adjust the Aperture in Live view whilst recording, or even still in video mode etc. It's all quite weird and by contrast the Pentax system works really well).
The took one back by removing stabilisation.

I fully get that sigma don't offer OS in their lenses for Pentax, given Pentax have for years had in camera sensor stabilisation. The problem is that now Pentax don't offer this during video mode anymore, leaving Pentax users without mechanical stabilisation during video mode.

Steve had a Sigma OS lens, but from memory you had to keep some button pressed the whole time to power it / enable it. That's a point that deserves more investigation, IF you can successfully find a sigma Pentax mount lens WITH OS build in.

Ironically you probably could mix optical in lens stabilisation with Pentax's software stabilisation, as they're not really competing mechanically. One is stabilising before entering the body/sensor, and the other is stabilising this image afterwards. Pentax's Movie SR in body stabilisation (using that word loosely) is entirely software based and is akin to applying stabilisation in software in a computer afterwards, only you get no options to configure it, and it warps your image to sht...