Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 02:59 AM   #91
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I will respond to the bulk of your post this evening, but if you want to try to repeat the bug:
Go into video mode, open up the aperture, and change focus. Like focus all the way from near to far. At some point the aperture should visibly change (audibly too). Focus back, and the aperture should change back. I'm curious if the newer cameras have the same behavior. I tried several lenses at my dealer, and several cameras. The Ltd. ones didn't have the issue... It was really only K-3, K-5 and the DA 50. No idea if the K-3 II is affected.
Interesting - thanks. I'll give that a try later on!

04-05-2016, 03:31 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
And don't forget the other video mode anomaly whereby the already flipped up mirror would close and then reopen when you started to record except at F4 (with many lenses).
This affected K-50 and probably the K-30.
I recall someone explaining the reason for that, but no idea who, where or when. It was something like that the aperture lever is coupled to the mirror, so if you want to change the aperture it will have to flip the mirror.
04-05-2016, 04:35 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Perhaps you've misunderstood.
With Manual settings in video mode if you set the aperture to f4, the mirror doesn't flop back down and then flip up when you begin video recording (remember it's already up as you are in LV), if you start with a different aperture, it does.
Nothing to do with changing aperture during video, it's just that with [commonly] f4, the issue doesn't arise. One of my lenses it was f5.6 that didn't trigger this action.
04-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #94
Veteran Member

I think in live view it may set the aperture to f4 in general, by default. When you set other apertures it will stay that way, and only when you start recording will it switch to the selected aperture. Just a hunch...

04-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
"Sadly that isn't the case"... generally, or for you? (see what I did there? ). I can only speak from personal experience. I get a huge... HUGE... benefit from SR on my stills photography that I find to be really very significant indeed - yes, there are limits, and in some cases you will still get blurred images - but any feature is only so powerful. All the reviews seem to confirm my findings, too, more or less. Maybe our shooting conditions and settings are very different. Maybe if you posted an open question on the forum asking who finds the SR on stills photography genuinely useful, you'd get a representative view rather than just my own. What I'm stating is only my personal opinion from my own experience.
I don't doubt that it helps most people, and yes, it does help, but it's not a mind blowing change. It's more subtle for me. I got more keepers with my *istDS with 6 MP vs the K-5 with 16 MP, despite having SR (yes, the added resolution makes it hard).

QuoteQuote:
I don't think Ricoh has an attitude towards video, just a prioritisation based on what it feels is most important to its core customer base. And I'm sure with every product it releases, there's acknowledgement that a certain subset of potential buyers will wish for more in certain areas. This is not an attitude (that would suggest an active negativity towards video) - it's just a set of business decisions, really nothing more than that. If you look at it your way, you'd almost feel discriminated against... if you look at it my way, you might merely be a little disappointed
I didn't mean attitude as in they dislike it, it's more like... they think of it in a certain way... that people who use video on their Pentax DSLRs just want to take casual cat videos and stuff, whereas my opinion is that that's gross misuse of a camera (yes, I did take cat videos too...). Is it possible, yes, but that's like using a 645Z for selfies. It can be done of course, but it's kind of missing the point. For that, get a camcorder (or to stay in the selfie analogy... a point and shoot or smartphone). DSLRs are most suitable for more serious/ambitioned filmmaking, not super casual stuff that needs convenience. Shooting video with a DSLR isn't convenient. It requires practice and skill and some understanding of the technology involved. A mode (like PASM) where they don't hold any punches and give the user more control, even if it's confusing, has downsides etc. would be very much appreciated. As you said before, everything has downsides. A camera that is great for one thing may not be so good for another thing. A feature that is great for one thing may have certain disadvantages that the user should be aware of. That is true for pretty much everything in a DSLR. Auto mode gets decent pictures all the time, but you don't have full control. M means full control, but you can screw up. JPEG is convenient, but you can't do much to the photo in post. Raw takes up lots of space, and is less convenient, but you can do so much more with it. For video, Pentax wants to protect users from themselves, but in doing so they severely limit the device. I think it's even a bit insulting to believe that their users don't understand what the effects of SR are, and that they can't deal with the noise. It may be true for some, but that's what the manual is there for. That's what you can use pop-ups for. SR will never be 100% silent (it is very much so on the K-5, but I suppose their bar is very high...?). Sony and Olympus offer SR during video, and I don't see much complaining...

QuoteQuote:
People on video forums get excited by a Pentax camera release? Why??! Seriously, though, it must be obvious by now to the digital photography and video community that video has not been, and still isn't, a priority for Pentax DSLR products. Video enthusiasts can wish, we can all wish, for better video capability, but the majority of Pentax users are simply more interested in stills photography - and, whilst I appreciate that the K-1 doesn't hit the mark for you on stills either, there is a large community of Pentax fans that is really excited based on the specs and feature list of the K-1 - with its various limitations understood.
Because they don't know about the (probably unnecessary) limitations. They think... the price is good. Hardware is similar to the D810 IIRC, so that's good. A flippy screen on a pro-level FF DSLR!!! That's a first, and super useful for video. Shake reduction... useful for video (and surely that feature must be activated, right?). Some know that Pentax makes/made great primes for manual focusing. Yeah, 1080p at 30 fps is a bit of a let down, but if all the other things are true, then the camera is a bit of a dream come true. Not suitable for all tasks, but a nice tool in the bag.
04-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #96
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@kadajawi - all good points Well, here's hoping you get better video when the K-1II comes out!
04-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #97
Veteran Member

@kadajawi - all good points Well, here's hoping you get better video when the K-1II comes out!
Yeah. I hope so... maybe some people will switch to Pentax when that happens. Or maybe they'll even do it in firmware to the K-1, which would be ideal. Like the small changes that can be done in firmware without big investments.

The interview Imaging Resource did with Pentax sounds encouraging...we'll see.

04-06-2016, 12:24 AM   #98

Original Poster
Yeah. I hope so... maybe some people will switch to Pentax when that happens. Or maybe they'll even do it in firmware to the K-1, which would be ideal. Like the small changes that can be done in firmware without big investments.

The interview Imaging Resource did with Pentax sounds encouraging...we'll see.
I really doubt they will release new features with a firmware update. If they deliver firmware updates, it is to support new lenses and to fix big bugs, if they fix them. If you look at the list of bugs still present in the K3...
04-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Looking at it from the other side, imagine the flak they would get, the criticism that would be heaped upon them, when reviewers and CaNikonyFujOlyPans discover that the typical average user, who expects to be able to use the on-board microphone for their casual video work, gets noise in their audio track(s).
Oh, that's ones easy: Point out that the CaNikons are A DECADE behind the the K-5's video stabilisation, and that the noise from the in-lens stabilisation still comes through on the CaNikons.

---------- Post added 10-04-16 at 01:05 AM ----------

that people who use video on their Pentax DSLRs just want to take casual cat videos and stuff, whereas my opinion is that that's gross misuse of a camera (yes, I did take cat videos too...).
Hey, hey, thems fightin' words fellah!

I use my cats as subject to practice focus pulls and tracking with subjects that won't 'hit the marks'.

---------- Post added 10-04-16 at 01:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Azergoth Quote
If they deliver firmware updates, it is to support new lenses and to fix big bugs, if they fix them. If you look at the list of bugs still present in the K3...
Cool, so where do I put in Bug Reports, I'll list the K-01's and K-3's HDMI, the K-01, K-S1, K-S2, K3, K3ii, and K-30's Sensor Shift not working in video,....

And don't forget the other one - which I think is related to the retractable lens feature, to stop the lens hitting the mirror - if you zoom too fast or too far while recording, the camera stops recording.
04-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #100

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
[/COLOR]
Cool, so where do I put in Bug Reports, I'll list the K-01's and K-3's HDMI, the K-01, K-S1, K-S2, K3, K3ii, and K-30's Sensor Shift not working in video,....

And don't forget the other one - which I think is related to the retractable lens feature, to stop the lens hitting the mirror - if you zoom too fast or too far while recording, the camera stops recording.

Haha 😃 I had started an "update request" post some times ago, located here ;-)
What's the HDMI problem?
04-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #101
Veteran Member

What's the HDMI problem?
[1] Using a HDMI cable forces the camera into PLAYBACK mode (K-01, K-30. K-50, K-S1, K-S2).
[2] No clean signal out for recording to an external recording device (K-3. K-3II).
04-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #102

Original Poster
Wtf? Are you serious? I just ordered an HDMI adapter!!! :P

... I was wondering... Is this (and what is listed in the other "request" thread) happening to Pentax only, or also to other brands?
I mean: are we demanding too much because we love (expect too much from?) our camera? Because we expect a better value, a better "bang for buck" because Pentax is an outsider?
04-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #103
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I was wondering... Is this (and what is listed in the other "request" thread) happening to Pentax only, or also to other brands?
I mean: are we demanding too much because we love (expect too much from?) our camera? Because we expect a better value, a better "bang for buck" because Pentax is an outsider?
If you take a look at the various forums, there is high praise and equally high criticism of the functionality, performance, features and bugs of cameras from all the manufacturers. Some of us are expecting something different to what the manufacturers designed - others are deliriously happy with it; still others sit in the middle ground. A camera only offers "bang for buck" if it does what you want - if it doesn't, there is usually something else available (perhaps from a different manufacturer) that does. "Bang for buck" is totally subjective to the individual
04-15-2016, 02:19 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Azergoth: you didn't read? I did a whole test thingo.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/75-video-pentax-hdslrs/295460-k-3-vs-atomos-ninja2.html

I need to post one of the samples I recorded that day,.... K-3 in M-Stills, HDMI out to Ninja2 - shows 1080p30,... for a 4:3 frame!
But,... the Sensor Shift made the footage from inside a car driving down a bumpy street look pretty damn smooth!

If anyones got a K-3, and wants to try M-Stills, but set the frame size for stills to 16:3, it 'night' be recordable and useable in counties that use 30fps.
I'll bet it crops tho'.