Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I suppose...if a Pentaxian needs that SR...then I won't discount their *need* for it.

I don't worry about SR because rarely is my camera not on "something".
A tool is only as good as the craft behind it.
Sorry for putting words in your mouth. The statement above is very close to what you said before on another thread where people were trashing the K-3 based on the SR and primitive support for record-time AF. You also elaborated a bit there about use of cinematic technique. It is all good. Thanks for sharing your setup and excellent work.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-09-2016 at 05:05 PM.
03-09-2016, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry for putting words in your mouth. The statement above is very close to what you said before on another thread where people were trashing the K-3 based on the SR and primitive support for record-time AF. You also elaborated a bit there about use of cinematic technique. It is all good. Thanks for sharing your setup and excellent work.

Steve
Yep. I *do* sound like a broken record...heck, I am one.

03-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yep. I *do* sound like a broken record...heck, I am one.

Me too..."No the K-1 will not stress or break your vintage lenses..."

Steve
03-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Great stuff, it's funny the most vocal peoples who complaint about video and Pentax are not showing up in this thread. I think we understand why, they will nothing to say.

03-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moderators - is there a possibility of making this post a sticky, somewhere? It seems like we get a lot of posts criticising Pentax video capability, and while I know there are DSLRs with more advanced video facilities, this just goes to prove how serviceable Pentax can be in this regard. I've seen Lauren's video reel before, but each time I watch it I feel like it should be seen by all the "Pentax doesn't do video" crowd...
03-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very impressive Lauren. If you don't mind I will invite all the DPR types who claim Pentax is useless for Video to view your work.

You have inspired me, my Daughter is getting married tomorrow, and I've hired a local 'tog to shoot the ceremony, but I might just set up my K-5 on a tripod to record video of the event. Thanks for that.
03-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Very impressive Lauren. If you don't mind I will invite all the DPR types who claim Pentax is useless for Video to view your work.

You have inspired me, my Daughter is getting married tomorrow, and I've hired a local 'tog to shoot the ceremony, but I might just set up my K-5 on a tripod to record video of the event. Thanks for that.
Do it! Definitely!
The K5 makes some beautiful video too!
It gets a little hot, but I love the video quality from the K5.
You've got nothing to lose!

03-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I done few videos of a demo dancing night with very bad lighting and the video were not bad base on these condition .
03-09-2016, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very impressive indeed!
03-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Very impressive indeed!
Thanks!
03-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote

The K-5 is too beautiful for a tripod. Plus it can't record long videos. Use it handheld Turn on SR and shoot handheld.

Nice footage Lauren, I like your work. But I am pretty sure I could do the same if not better (in terms of stability) without a rig with my K-5. Or better with a K-5 on a shoulder rig.

The sad thing about Pentax is the potential the cameras have, that isn't used. The lack of SR is just such a low target... I do think the K-1 will have better image quality than the K-3. That, with the low price, the rock solid build, the flippy screen (a first on FF DSLRs), and SR... It could seriously drive interest in the camera.

Rigs are fine, and "mine" has a follow focus. But they are big, they are heavy, lens changes take time and tools, ... Shooting completely handheld is liberating. And absolutely possible with the K-5.
03-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The K-5 is too beautiful for a tripod. Plus it can't record long videos. Use it handheld Turn on SR and shoot handheld.

Nice footage Lauren, I like your work. But I am pretty sure I could do the same if not better (in terms of stability) without a rig with my K-5. Or better with a K-5 on a shoulder rig.

The sad thing about Pentax is the potential the cameras have, that isn't used. The lack of SR is just such a low target... I do think the K-1 will have better image quality than the K-3. That, with the low price, the rock solid build, the flippy screen (a first on FF DSLRs), and SR... It could seriously drive interest in the camera.

Rigs are fine, and "mine" has a follow focus. But they are big, they are heavy, lens changes take time and tools, ... Shooting completely handheld is liberating. And absolutely possible with the K-5.
Oh yes...in many ways I liked the video from the K5 much better...I liked the mjpeg a bit more. I did quite a few shoots with my K5, and as long as I was shooting outside, and not in direct sun, the K5 could maintain, and not overheat. Unfortunately, my blood ran cold a few times when it *did* over heat.

I have several old videos on my YouTube channel with the K5.
Maybe I need to revisit them, re-render them and showcase them too.

I use Vimeo these days, so the YouTube stuff is old/outdated - mostly rendered in 480p
03-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I use Vimeo these days, so the YouTube stuff is old/outdated - mostly rendered in 480p
Pity, Vimeo is so much worse for your audience.
I have very rarely had any Vimeo streaming which doesn't keep stalling and buffering. The viewer experience is maddening.
Years ago I assumed it was our home PC, ISP and slower connection, but it's never changed since upgrading all those things several times - yet in 2016 the same thing, Vimeo is sloooow.

Lauren, I enjoyed your show reel video and have always appreciated the amount of thought and work you put into your productions. It shows with the end product being a professional result.
But pros such as yourself have the time, money, gear and obviously the motivation to get the best from their cameras using all the stuff such as you have which must need a large van to transport to locations. time to set up and of course assistants too.
The point is, all those [here] who complain about Pentax video implementation sucking is that for ordinary, everyday enthusiastic hobbiest and family [Pentax] photographers who also desire good quality video IQ and proper video IBIS so they can shoot hand-held and not need a truck load of expensive gear and rigs, without needing to plan ahead or create a story board, the Pentax DSLR system fails them as a spontaneous and fun to use video recording device. When other cameras systems are able to accommodate those requirements along with excellent stills then this is where Pentax are letting down the largest group of their product consumers.
03-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Oh yes...in many ways I liked the video from the K5 much better...I liked the mjpeg a bit more. I did quite a few shoots with my K5, and as long as I was shooting outside, and not in direct sun, the K5 could maintain, and not overheat. Unfortunately, my blood ran cold a few times when it *did* over heat.

I have several old videos on my YouTube channel with the K5.
Maybe I need to revisit them, re-render them and showcase them too.

I'm curious about your overheating. Apart from hot pixels, which apparently can be fixed by switching to live view in user mode and then go to video (?), I didn't see any negative side effects. I couldn't get my camera to overheat, no matter how long I shot. It is noisy though at low light.

25 fps at 1080p is an issue with the K-5, the other gear I have access to is capable of doing 1080/25p, but it's not optimal.

@steve: I don't think DSLR video should be seen as a thing where you just point the camera in one direction and press record and let the camera do the rest. That's a job for camcorders. DSLRs are meant for more planned shoots, but that doesn't exclude handheld IMHO. Besides, the SR can also help when shooting on a shoulder rig. Or maybe I understood you wrong... there just should be no expectation of getting AF. It would require massive changes and big investments, so while it would be neat, it's just not that important.

A modern Pentax, will a flatter image profile, SR and MJPEG, plus pixel binning, would be wonderful. And we are talking about relatively trivial tech here. SR? Got that. 25x 2 MP JPEGs? Doesn't sound too hard, but maybe it is. Flatter image profile shouldn't be too big a deal either (though a proper LOG style flat profile may indeed be hard).

When shooting events, maybe short interviews at events, I might not even use the shoulder rig. I'm quite short, and going completely handheld gives me greater freedom in choosing the right angle.

To me it seems like Pentax is pulling punches in an attempt to offer cameras that beginners can use. No SR, because it screws up audio and their users would never use external recording (why the mic and headphone jack, though?). No high bitrates, because long recordings are more important than highest possible quality. And that seems to be a mistake. The engineering is not the issue, it's the mindset, and who Pentax believes their customers are.
03-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
@steve: I don't think DSLR video should be seen as a thing where you just point the camera in one direction and press record and let the camera do the rest. That's a job for camcorders. DSLRs are meant for more planned shoots, but that doesn't exclude handheld IMHO. Besides, the SR can also help when shooting on a shoulder rig. Or maybe I understood you wrong... .
Yes, I think you read me with the wrong frame of mind and implied things I didn't actually say.