Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thinking about shooting my daughters wedding in a few hours, I dont think I will be in a position to video the event hand held, I think a tripod for the service will be better (its outdoors in a garden, not a church in sight) Today is overcast, so Hi DR should not be an issue. Any tips on a few quick do's and don'ts?? Any lens suggestions? I have just about everything Pentax makes from 12 - 250mm , so I'm spoiled for choice

03-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Definetly a zoom...as far as overcast in Melbourne,its that or rain.... Beautiful day in the Premier state
03-10-2016, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Thinking about shooting my daughters wedding in a few hours, I dont think I will be in a position to video the event hand held, I think a tripod for the service will be better (its outdoors in a garden, not a church in sight) Today is overcast, so Hi DR should not be an issue. Any tips on a few quick do's and don'ts?? Any lens suggestions? I have just about everything Pentax makes from 12 - 250mm , so I'm spoiled for choice
Yes, definitely a tripod or the like - even a slider on a tripod if you've got one.
On the tripod, if you are using a long lens, put some sandbags or something to weigh it down so you get a rock-solid platform.

Video and Zoom magnify any vibrations.

If you can, and I know you probably don't have some of the gear I am recommending, invest in a simple focus puller or zoom puller.

03-11-2016, 12:12 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I think if handheld isn't an option that means he won't be touching the camera frequently. Focus pulling, sliders etc. won't work either.

The SR will fix the vibrations on the tripod, so unless you have a seriously, seriously rock solid tripod or shoot wide angle I suggest to leave SR on.

I don't think you will try to shoot for grading anyway, so you can try to get the look you want with the picture settings. Lower sharpening in any case, you can do that in post. Gives the encoder the freedom to focus on what matters... Especially since you are probably going to chose low bitrates to get at least 10 minutes recording time. Prepare to bring plenty of SD cards.

Also, try to go into user mode on the dial, then turn on live view and then only switch to video. That should hopefully get rid of hot pixels...

03-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Shots on the Rig look good Lauren.

Are you still able to submit work at 720p? I absolutely need the 1080p25 and 1080p24 to be perfect, but I'm still waiting for Pentax-Ricoh to come out with firmware that makes the HDMI output recordable.

I'd buy a K-3 tomorrow if the HDMI worked properly, even without Sensor Shift SR, simply because I could use all my lenses and record to my Atomos Shogun.

No samples yet to see if the K-1 has it's HDMI as ballsed up as the K-01 and K-3,...

I was looking at the a6300, until I saw the rolling shutter skew - it's on par with the BMPCC.

Upside Down on a Jib Shot,.... he he he, thought I was the only one who pulled that - upside down on a slider is great for Star Wars 'Trench Run' shots,...

Zoom H6,... nice, but the Tascam's have better pre-amps

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Nah..it's just that it gets a bit frustrating when people say things like "can't be done". Or Pentax is not used in so and so way. Or Pentaxians don't care about so and so. I don't fit the demographic that Ricoh is looking for, when they ask Pentaxians questions. It doesn't phase me as long as they keep making tools that make money for me. I'm a bona-fide-hardcore user of Pentax products. People discount me all the time. It's the story of my life.
You, preacher, me, choir.

I get good video and good photos out of my K-01, to the point people are often suprised, especially when they find out a comparable Pentax is often half the price they paid for their Canikons - none of us Pentax Cinematographers will deny Pentax Cameras take GREAT stills.
It's just bloody disappointing they keep screwing over the Video Firmware as 'not a priority'.... One wonders, does anyone at Ricoh-Pentax ever have to explain to shareholders why they loose sales in the video market?

They do some stuff really well - like retaining the full dynamic range in the video (Canon clips about 3 stops out from the photos DR) - and then over-compress the footage...
They had great performing Sensor Shift in Video nearly a whole Decade ahead of the rest, and then turned it off for poor decided reasons - they could add a massive number of same by just turning it back on now, and marketing it as a feature the rest are just catching up to.

The K5 makes some beautiful video too! It gets a little hot, but I love the video quality from the K5.
I finally got to see the over-temp warning on my K-01 about two weeks ago.
40 deg day (about 105 for the non-metric), in direct sunlight, mid afternoon, camera in the sunlight while talent were shaded,.... and the little temp gauge symbol came on.
First time ever! Only had the K-01 something like three or four years....
The 5D2 we were doing the wide angle with had shut down about an hour earlier....
03-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Shots on the Rig look good Lauren.

Are you still able to submit work at 720p? I absolutely need the 1080p25 and 1080p24 to be perfect, but I'm still waiting for Pentax-Ricoh to come out with firmware that makes the HDMI output recordable.

I'd buy a K-3 tomorrow if the HDMI worked properly, even without Sensor Shift SR, simply because I could use all my lenses and record to my Atomos Shogun.

No samples yet to see if the K-1 has it's HDMI as ballsed up as the K-01 and K-3,...

I was looking at the a6300, until I saw the rolling shutter skew - it's on par with the BMPCC.

Upside Down on a Jib Shot,.... he he he, thought I was the only one who pulled that - upside down on a slider is great for Star Wars 'Trench Run' shots,...

Zoom H6,... nice, but the Tascam's have better pre-amps

You, preacher, me, choir.

I get good video and good photos out of my K-01, to the point people are often suprised, especially when they find out a comparable Pentax is often half the price they paid for their Canikons - none of us Pentax Cinematographers will deny Pentax Cameras take GREAT stills.
It's just bloody disappointing they keep screwing over the Video Firmware as 'not a priority'.... One wonders, does anyone at Ricoh-Pentax ever have to explain to shareholders why they loose sales in the video market?

They do some stuff really well - like retaining the full dynamic range in the video (Canon clips about 3 stops out from the photos DR) - and then over-compress the footage...
They had great performing Sensor Shift in Video nearly a whole Decade ahead of the rest, and then turned it off for poor decided reasons - they could add a massive number of same by just turning it back on now, and marketing it as a feature the rest are just catching up to.

I finally got to see the over-temp warning on my K-01 about two weeks ago.
40 deg day (about 105 for the non-metric), in direct sunlight, mid afternoon, camera in the sunlight while talent were shaded,.... and the little temp gauge symbol came on.
First time ever! Only had the K-01 something like three or four years....
The 5D2 we were doing the wide angle with had shut down about an hour earlier....
Yep. The days of 720p are pretty much dead. 1080p/30 (or in your case 24/25 because you are on the other side of the planet) are the way for the next couple of years. I love shooting 1080p/60 because on a 30p timeline I can get slow-motion that works perfectly, or really nice 60p on Vimeo or YouTube.

While Pentax cameras are maligned when it comes to video...the image that comes out of them has something unique that keeps me coming back. It's such a nice image. I can't deny why I see.

I've started to shoot more and more with my Sony FS7 (with Pentax glass) and it's wonderful and amazing, but the technical complexity of shooting Slog-3 and then grading and all the other bits, makes me want to grab other tools as to not cramp my cinematic workflow.

Not many people on the planet shoot with both an FS7 and a Pentax, so I might be in the smallest of small minority.

Heck, I might be one of the ONLY people that uses Pentax glass on a Sony FS7.

Here is some K5 love I shot years ago.

03-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Looks good. And yeah, I love that Pentax look. Not sure what exactly it is, but it has some filmic qualities to it, somehow.

To demonstrate how stable the K-5 actually is...

There's no artistic merit in the video, and YouTube compressed the hell out of it (it used to have no compression artifacts). And yes, an OM-D will be smoother, but I think it's quite decent.

03-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Looks good. And yeah, I love that Pentax look. Not sure what exactly it is, but it has some filmic qualities to it, somehow.

To demonstrate how stable the K-5 actually is...

Pentax K-5 shake reduction at 27mm - YouTube

There's no artistic merit in the video, and YouTube compressed the hell out of it (it used to have no compression artifacts). And yes, an OM-D will be smoother, but I think it's quite decent.
I know right? There is just *something* about the image...and why I stay I suppose.
03-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Lauren and folks. I shot the wedding ceremony on Video. It is not of any merit as a work of art, but it is a record of what was said and done. I had to leave before I could read all the helpful comments, so the advice was wasted in that sense, but it is now here for all to refer to later. All I did was set the k-5 on a sturdy tripod, put the 16-50 on it and pressed the go button. That was when I realised there is no AF in Video. So I had to stop it, Focus the lens and start again.

There is a lot more to this video lark than I had previously realised, it makes me admire your work even more Lauren.
03-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #40
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Lauren and folks. I shot the wedding ceremony on Video. It is not of any merit as a work of art, but it is a record of what was said and done. I had to leave before I could read all the helpful comments, so the advice was wasted in that sense, but it is now here for all to refer to later. All I did was set the k-5 on a sturdy tripod, put the 16-50 on it and pressed the go button. That was when I realised there is no AF in Video. So I had to stop it, Focus the lens and start again.

There is a lot more to this video lark than I had previously realised, it makes me admire your work even more Lauren.
Well done for even trying it! I recently decided I would like to give video a try too, and so far all I've done is read articles and watch tutorials (many of which have been fascinating). One thing's for sure - you're right, there is an awful lot to it. Hey, at least you've given it a try, and I hope you'll stick at it. You might be someone I'm coming to for advice in future
03-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Thanks and well done on trying!!!

03-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great Lauren...I take the the Pentax K3 into the surf with a custom water housing, its great to see more Pentax dedication.Hewysurf | Surf Photographer
03-13-2016, 02:57 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Hewgill Quote
Great Lauren...I take the the Pentax K3 into the surf with a custom water housing, its great to see more Pentax dedication.Hewysurf | Surf Photographer
Hey Chris, your URL produces this warning?
Better have a word with your hosting provider.
Attached Images

03-13-2016, 04:38 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I know right? There is just *something* about the image...and why I stay I suppose.
There is. I think it just looks a bit like film, actual, 35mm film. I have no idea why. But it does so more than most other cameras.

Besides, the stabilization is just magical. Had I shot that on a shoulder rig, I don't think it wouldn't have been this smooth (yeah, I know it's not perfect). It's somewhere between a glidecam and a shoulder rig I'd say.

I think I'd still go for a different brand though, cause the K-5 is getting left behind. As cameras improve (apart from Pentax), expectations are increased too. While what Pentax offers right now may be acceptable, just, may not be a year down the road. And considering that Pentax isn't improving their cameras, that is an issue.

Glad you guys enjoy trying video, I feel like it is photography, just with added layers of complexity. The good thing I guess is that it is a team effort. A colleague will focusing on After Effects, while I'll be focusing more on shooting, and perhaps editing.
03-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Hey Chris, your URL produces this warning?
Better have a word with your hosting provider.
Thank Steve its blue host so will get onto it today!
Chris