Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 07:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-1 sample,....

Looks like its a no-sale,... Skew when panning looks worse then K-3 or K-01, and does look like the 'Video SR' is on.

03-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, in the one shot where the camera doesn´t move, the video quality actually looks good. Could it be they´ve improved the quality?
03-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lol.

I'd love to see some test footage on a Tripod, doing pans and tilts smoothly, or on a shoulder rig - most of the vibration that the Early Type Sensor Shift SR removed from video is the users hands moving, rather then planned camera motion.

It's the only sample from the camera I've found so far though.

What I need to see, is if there's any samples showing it being recorded externally via HDMI, in true 1080p
03-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ok, i must to be honest, that footage is better than any video clip i have made up to date and probably by 1min longer than any of my videos....

03-11-2016, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

That looks terrible. But the issues are exactly the ones that would be fixed by not having Movie SR, but sensor shift SR instead. All the wobbling would be gone. The artifacts would be gone. Replaced by smooth, beautiful video. Oh Pentax... what the hell were you thinking.

Yeah, on a shoulder rig etc. it would be better, but you'd still get a relatively significant crop. Might as well buy an APS-C camera from another brand and put it on the rig. It will be just as stabilized (if not better, cause they have in lens stabilization). It will cost less. Have a better encoder.

If Pentax removed Movie SR, even without activating sensor shift SR, it would still make the camera significantly better.
03-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We are Still on fw 0.x people!! Deep breaths are in order while the firmware is still merely set in jello not stone..
03-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
We are Still on fw 0.x people!! Deep breaths are in order while the firmware is still merely set in jello not stone..
Well, lets hope then that someone at Pentax actually turns on the video mode for once, and sees how terrible it is. Seriously, how could they look at this and say... "yup, looks good to me, we can release this"? How is this better than no SR, let alone proper SR with a few noises in the background?

It's not like the microphone in the camera is very good anyway. Audio is not going to be good, the background noises just turn it from bad to slightly worse. It makes no difference, bad is bad. And if you are fine with the bad audio quality from the internal microphone, then you're probably also fine with the bad audio + SR noises. Cause clearly bad audio doesn't matter too much to you.

Granted, there's the chance that Pentax will reconsider and change the firmware before the camera gets released, or even fixes it after release. But Pentax insisted on this garbage since 2011 or so... despite user complaints for 5 years now. Are they really going to change now?

03-11-2016, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oh boy...
Someone doesn't know how to do video, and is not doing Pentax any favors.
Someone needs to walk up to that person, and strip them of any Pentaxian accoutrements!
Aside from video technical incompetence...I like the colors and rendering.
Nice.
Just wait until I get my K1.
Just wait.
03-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Oh boy...
Someone doesn't know how to do video, and is not doing Pentax any favors.
Someone needs to walk up to that person, and strip them of any Pentaxian accoutrements!
Aside from video technical incompetence...I like the colors and rendering.
Nice.
Just wait until I get my K1.
Just wait.
Maybe this is exactly what Pentax needs, though. I really hope Pentax sees this video, and realizes how they screwed up. How is this better than, really, anything? Not having video at all might be better than this. Yes, you can put it on a rig, deactivate SR, but then you still have to deal with the crop. If the only way to get usable video out of the sensor is to deactivate movie SR, why have it in the camera? Especially since there are disadvantages to having it in the camera, even when not used?

Lauren, you could make an iPhone look good

It looks like an improvement over the K-3, though not over a K-5 (at least handheld).

This is a K-5.

80-200mm lens, at 200mm, so basically 300mm cause of APS-C. IIRC I was standing, shooting handheld. Not leaning on anything. Completely unsupported. Btw., do you hear any noises from the SR? It wasn't a noisy environment. I can't hear anything, despite the SR system working very hard.
03-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Maybe this is exactly what Pentax needs, though. I really hope Pentax sees this video, and realizes how they screwed up. How is this better than, really, anything? Not having video at all might be better than this. Yes, you can put it on a rig, deactivate SR, but then you still have to deal with the crop. If the only way to get usable video out of the sensor is to deactivate movie SR, why have it in the camera? Especially since there are disadvantages to having it in the camera, even when not used?

Lauren, you could make an iPhone look good

It looks like an improvement over the K-3, though not over a K-5 (at least handheld).
I think I need to hire a stand in for me.
Some beautiful-young-thin-bohemian-tatooed-avant-garde-hipster to walk around with a Pentax, so that I can get a pre-production Pentax, and actually make something nice for Pentax to use in their marketing.

<sigh>

Thanks for the iPhone comment though.
03-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

1:35
That guy needs to go!

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 06:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Looks like its a no-sale,... Skew when panning looks worse then K-3 or K-01, and does look like the 'Video SR' is on.

Pentax K1 Video sample - YouTube
Yes, Ricoh needs to get that removed from YT, and quickly!!
03-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
1:35
That guy needs to go!

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 06:38 AM ----------

Yes, Ricoh needs to get that removed from YT, and quickly!!
How about Ricoh fixing their camera, so that such videos aren't possible? Take a camera from any other brand. No matter how hard you may try to get an image that looks this bad, you can't do it. With a Pentax you don't even need to try. And some of those cameras also use Milbeaut chips, with the same capabilities. Like Nikon. But Nikon is wise enough not to activate it, because it is terrible.
03-12-2016, 02:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

How about Ricoh fixing their camera, so that such videos aren't possible?
I assume given the length of time the K-1 was being developed [hence just USB2], that the K-1's video features could only ever be on a par with the K-3, albeit off a larger sensor. Perhaps the K-1 MarkII will bring about the changes erroneously expected with the Mark I.
03-12-2016, 03:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I assume given the length of time the K-1 was being developed [hence just USB2], that the K-1's video features could only ever be on a par with the K-3, albeit off a larger sensor. Perhaps the K-1 MarkII will bring about the changes erroneously expected with the Mark I.
As for frame rates and resolution I agree. But, and I hate to bring it up again and again, what about SR? That is what screwed up the video. Everything else looks fine, I think I saw a tiny amount of moire, but that was all.

According to Pentax the reason is audio, not a technical limitation. They could easily not offer movie SR, even if they didn't offer proper SR. Without movie SR, videos like this couldn't exist.
03-12-2016, 04:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I expect they consider it likely that the pros will use rigs, therefore camera SR will not be necessary.