Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2016, 04:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

New K-1 sample on youtube,..

Okay,...

Playback seems to go all blotchy in the center of the video, then clears up again.
Edit: watch your youtube playback settings, I think they've done another update to the way it all works again, make sure you're set to the higher video sizes.

It look a little 'set on auto', and possibly a lower quality setting, but with the MovieSR disabled (yay)

Watching the pans, I'm impressed with the Rolling Shutter skew, or lack thereof !

Anybody understand Polish or Czech for the text ?

---------- Post added 28-04-16 at 09:42 PM ----------

And possibly another, mentions the K-1 in the description.

---------- Post added 28-04-16 at 09:47 PM ----------

And this advert popped up while I was searching for new video samples.

---------- Post added 28-04-16 at 10:05 PM ----------

And now, for some evidence,.....
This is Why us video people want the SensorShiftSR turned back on in video.
A sample from a K-5.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-28-2016 at 04:57 AM.
04-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not too bad at all.
No mention of lens used. The reflection shows a camera being hand held by young person in red.
Is it really a K-1? Seems a little small in the hand for a FF DSLR.
Attached Images

04-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The link on the youtube goes to a store selling the K-1.... maybe they've just got big hands

And isn't it Pentax's thing to make compact bodies?
One of the K-1 photos thread shows it's almost as small as a GH-4.
Maybe just big hands

The user certainly seems to be looking down at a rear screen - that odd screen is probably going to be a boon for cinematographers, if everything else is up to scratch.
04-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
The link on the youtube goes to a store selling the K-1....
Well of course it does. But does that mean the video is shot with one??

And isn't it Pentax's thing to make compact bodies?
For a k-mount body the K-1 is huge, it's head'n'shoulders above your K-01
Also quite noticeably larger than the K-5

Attached Images

04-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Well of course it does. But does that mean the video is shot with one??
Cynic,....
04-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Cynic,....
I have to be, it's 2016.
They are a business, selling cameras is their goal.

I have to say, the video sample looks much better than any K-1 (and any Pentax DSLR) video sample I've seen so far. It also looks stabilized.
We can see the operator is hand holding [the camera] and as you observe, Pentax's famously destructive MovieSR is not apparent.

I guess we'll never know

Here's a new K-1 sample from ephotozine that looks quite good for a panning shot, also claimed to be hand held.
Perhaps we are looking at the first Pentax DSLR with decent video?

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 04-29-2016 at 01:25 PM.
04-29-2016, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I have to be, it's 2016.
They are a business, selling cameras is their goal.

I have to say, the video sample looks much better than any K-1 (and any Pentax DSLR) video sample I've seen so far. It also looks stabilized.
We can see the operator is hand holding [the camera] and as you observe, Pentax's famously destructive MovieSR is not apparent.

I guess we'll never know

Here's a new K-1 sample from ephotozine that looks quite good for a panning shot, also claimed to be hand held.
Perhaps we are looking at the first Pentax DSLR with decent video?

Pentax K-1 FullHD Video, with 70-200mm lens - YouTube
That honor would go to the K-5... as the first and last Pentax with good video

Keep in mind that MovieSR has a chance of working with fast shutter speeds... which is exactly what these videos had. There is some odd stuttering, when panning past the tree. I wonder if that is Movie SR getting confused?

04-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

No stuttering here. Maybe connection issue?
I downloaded the file, defo' no stuttering.

I don't think the K-5 had the best video IQ, but it was the last to have decent SR.
It also had the clicking audio issue.
But we've been over this too many times.

If these clips are truly the K-1, then they have better IQ than all previous Pentax DSLR results.
I'd like to see some original files to download and check though

All the above is my opinion of course.

Just reading through the ephotozine review article and they state that the video was shot with MovieSR and that they considered it good.

QuoteQuote:
Video - There is a built-in stereo microphone, although if you want to record higher quality sound, you can use the mic and headphone sockets on the side of the camera. There are options for setting the recording sound level, wind noise reduction and headphone volume. ISO100 to ISO12800 is available, and you can choose between recording using the full-frame or using an APS-C crop for FullHD video recording. In the video mode you have access to the custom image settings, and there is a "Flat" option available which will be of interest to those that want to adjust video later. Video quality was good, and the built in image stabilisation did a good job keeping video steady, even when recording handheld.
► https://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-k-1-expert-review-28884/performance

I've carefully studied their sample and I agree, if that's with MSR enabled then it's much better than previous incarnations.
Having a Flat image setting option for video is a move in the right direction too.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 04-29-2016 at 05:00 PM.
05-01-2016, 03:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

No stuttering here. Maybe connection issue?
I downloaded the file, defo' no stuttering.

I don't think the K-5 had the best video IQ, but it was the last to have decent SR.
It also had the clicking audio issue.
But we've been over this too many times.

If these clips are truly the K-1, then they have better IQ than all previous Pentax DSLR results.
I'd like to see some original files to download and check though

All the above is my opinion of course.

Just reading through the ephotozine review article and they state that the video was shot with MovieSR and that they considered it good.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-k-1-expert-review-28884/performance

I've carefully studied their sample and I agree, if that's with MSR enabled then it's much better than previous incarnations.
Having a Flat image setting option for video is a move in the right direction too.
Well, the K-5 didn't have compression artifacts, no matter what you do.

That is with fast shutter speeds. No big news, it always has been the case that then Movie SR indeed works. We have seen from the other sample that Movie SR is terrible when there is less light available or you try to shoot at 1/50 for example. But those are the shutter speeds you typically do to not get stuttering video.

--> It doesn't work.
05-01-2016, 03:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Well, the K-5 didn't have compression artifacts, no matter what you do. .
Maybe you weren't looking hard enough
Plenty of reviewers spoke about the compression artifacts of the K-5 video, ISO noise was also an issue with the K-7 and K-5, even in good light.
I can't agree that the K-5 shot better quality video than recent PENTAX DSLRs, it might have been slightly more difficult to destroy in post and it may have been better stabilized with those bodies, but not better IQ (when MovieSR was off in recent bodies).

Check out this original K-5 video shot at the highest setting:
DOWNLOAD 118Mb .avi ► http://216.18.212.226/PRODS/K5/FULLRES/yvid_k5_1080_25fps_IMGP9426.AVI

Video
ID : 0
Format : JPEG
Codec ID : MJPG
Duration : 12s 0ms
Bit rate : 82.2 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.585
Stream size : 118 MiB

At the time the K-7 was good if you had the rigs and expertise (remember Uncle Jack) so too the K-5 with similar setups - but by today's standards it's pretty ordinary.

These latest samples of the K-1 video (shown above) look more promising than the K-3 did imho. I'll be curious to see more and especially what a pro videographer can do with it.
05-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Maybe you weren't looking hard enough
Plenty of reviewers spoke about the compression artifacts of the K-5 video, ISO noise was also an issue with the K-7 and K-5, even in good light.
I can't agree that the K-5 shot better quality video than recent PENTAX DSLRs, it might have been slightly more difficult to destroy in post and it may have been better stabilized with those bodies, but not better IQ (when MovieSR was off in recent bodies).

Check out this original K-5 video shot at the highest setting:
DOWNLOAD 118Mb .avi ► http://216.18.212.226/PRODS/K5/FULLRES/yvid_k5_1080_25fps_IMGP9426.AVI

Video
ID : 0
Format : JPEG
Codec ID : MJPG
Duration : 12s 0ms
Bit rate : 82.2 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.585
Stream size : 118 MiB

At the time the K-7 was good if you had the rigs and expertise (remember Uncle Jack) so too the K-5 with similar setups - but by today's standards it's pretty ordinary.

These latest samples of the K-1 video (shown above) look more promising than the K-3 did imho. I'll be curious to see more and especially what a pro videographer can do with it.
Perhaps, but with at least the K-3 you didn't have to look hard for compression artifacts. Yeah, the sensor is much better, but compression artifacts were quite bad IMHO, the lack of stabilization, the forced crop, ... instead of the K-1 I might as well use an APS-C Nikon. It might even have a similar FoV, compression may be better, it is smaller and cheaper.

We'll have to see what happens to the feedback that was given on Imaging Resource, if Pentax will actually listen. If they do, I'll get excited about the K-1. Until then, nope.
05-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stuttering,.... Yes, I see that too, and that's on a fibre optic connection,.

I have seen that sideways stuttering on one other Pentax camera during a test.
But I'm loathe to link the two as a suggestion of the cause - it was on a K-3, set to M-Stills, and recording the 3:2 ratio output on the HDMI with the Sensor Shift switched on.
And it only occurred during a fairly quick pan.