Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a Pentax video camera?
Yes 2464.86%
No 1335.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

A Pentax Video Camera?

I was intending to make this thread a poll where members can click 'yes' or 'no'. Either yes, I think it's a cool idea, or no I don't think so. I am kind of curious about the reaction forum members would have to the idea...

Admittedly most of us here are NOT video shooters...them's just the facts...

BUT I was saying in another thread... I wonder what would happen if Ricoh blazed the trail for shaking things up a bit. Instead of having marginal video capabilities (and the cost associated with that) on an otherwise dedicated stills camera...or where other companies... their detachable lens video cameras are not at all geared toward average consumers...

I wonder if Pentax could make a really good dedicated video camera that uses K mount lenses. Basically separate out the two functions.

Personally I think it would be quite interesting to have a high end dedicated detachable lens mounted video camera that is aimed at the consumer population.

Basically the idea is you can have one set of lenses but just a different body where you could make all the awesome HD videos you want.

What do you guys think? I have very little experience in video making but lately for some reason video has kind of piqued my curiosity as of late.

I am sure there is a whole lot more to it than that so if you have comments to make then please do so.

05-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that sooner or later, Pentax will make a DSLR with better video features, maybe comparable with those of Canon 5D3, or better. If for the most of today Pentax users this is not an object of interest, I think that for Ricoh is a necessity.

About a dedicated video camera, with a K mount, something similar to Canon ME 200S-SH, or others, I don't know. Maybe, if Ricoh will be bold enough to begin making his own sensor (which I consider to be the best way forward), maybe....

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 05-06-2016 at 10:59 AM.
05-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
IOO

Photos: Gallery
Hi!
That could maybe be an good idea. Pentax made separate videocams in the 80's. Here is a link to their latest attempt to make a videocam with still shot: Pentax Optio MX4: Digital Photography Review
05-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There are too many competitors in this huge market with years or even decades of experience in building video cameras. To keep up with them it would take Ricoh huge amounts of money and development time. I think they should keep doing what they are known for and that is building fantastic stills cameras. Since I'm a video technician at our city theatre I would love to see them expand the video capabilities of my favourite camera brand to keep up with the competitors. But a dedicated video camera wouldn't make sense for Ricoh as a company in my opinion.

Last edited by alpheios; 05-06-2016 at 11:38 AM.
05-06-2016, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

It would be a lot cheaper for R&D to incorporate better video into a DSLR, and that would keep video people quite - including me
05-06-2016, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
It would be a lot cheaper for R&D to incorporate better video into a DSLR...
I think a better bet would be to make a mirrorless camera that's more video-heavy so they could incorporate an EVF for shooting in sunlight. It's often hard to see the screen on a DSLR when you're out in the sun.
05-06-2016, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Would you like me to add a poll?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
IOO

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, but can you also make the system for the Pentax world day recognize different ways to set the cameras datesetting. My phots are denied because of the setting says: 2016-05-06, wich is today.
05-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #9
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think a better bet would be to make a mirrorless camera that's more video-heavy so they could incorporate an EVF for shooting in sunlight. It's often hard to see the screen on a DSLR when you're out in the sun.
Or... cheaper... slap a screen viewfinder block over the screen - i forget what they're called. But its max around $50, and now no need for another camera! Problem solved, again
05-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #10

I'm not sure digital video cameras are going to be a thing that exists within twenty years. We used to need them because we needed tapes and autofocus and audio, and you traded quality in lenses and sensors for those features. Now you don't trade and there's no logical need to. Now days, a video back is a still back with a high framerate and audio, and a camera back is a video back with a hotshoe.

I think it's more likely we'll see someone introduce a high performance jack to record from a DSLR to tape than for any of the DSLR manufacturers pursuing a video body that isn't ALSO a superior still body. They are gaining too much ground on the camcorders as it is. I don't think they switch gears, I think they win the war.
05-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The battle for the serious amateur market was fought 5 years ago. Canon won. A Pentax video camera would not shake up anything.
05-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't the K-3 capable of awesome HD videos?
Seems like I've seen some posted here before.
05-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Isn't the K-3 capable of awesome HD videos? Seems like I've seen some posted here before.
Awesome pentaxians are capable of creating awesome videos no matter what tools they have.

The K-3 can produce HD video, as a setting, but the quality of that HD video is not all that awesome. But it seems to be better than my K-30? I wouldn't know, don't have both, but just by looking at samples. And the K-1 might even be a bit better. But nothing extraordinary.
05-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by IOO Quote
Yes, but can you also make the system for the Pentax world day recognize different ways to set the cameras datesetting. My phots are denied because of the setting says: 2016-05-06, wich is today.
It should work now. The system was erroneously expecting it to be 2014

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thank you! If we could maybe even make it a temporary sticky somewhere so that we can get a better feel for the feelings of the community.

---------- Post added 05-07-16 at 01:35 AM ----------

Thanks for everyone responding so far...

I understand that there is a lot of competition.... yes... that is true anywhere and for almost anything. Just look at the DSLR market...that said I know absolutely zero about what technology is in the video world right now.

Now also look at social media and how many videos people are putting on youtube or whatever... So I don't think the trend for the need of video is going away anytime soon. I would venture to say that a lot of those are shot on DSLRs... Nikon and Canon... where people just set up a tripod and give it a go. The thing is just like with anything else people who know what they are doing can take stellar photos with cheap cameras and others can take awesome video with things like an iPhone...

The idea I would have in mind is to target it towards a semi professional (yet still affordable) video market. I have never engineered anything in my life but a DSLR ergonomically speaking might not be ideal. I mean it works but why not push the envelope? If they do away with video for the most part (or leave it as is) then that is one less thing to engineer into a stills camera. On the flip side if they don't have to worry about stills and just do a straight up semi professional model that I can put my 31mm on and film... heck man... going on a vacation and making real professional level stuff would make the overall pack relatively small.

For me I am not really talking handicam or something like that....

If anyone knows where the technology really is at in regards to video equipment (including on various levels of cameras) please do share...

I have seen everything from the handicam where you get bouncy pictures and so so video quality all the way to those big giant cameras that they shoot baseball games on..... what they use in movie studios I don't know...

Knowing that kind of information might be helpful...

But I am thinking that if they make one that is actually designed to be a video camera and that's all it does... but it performs about twice as good as a 5D Mark III or whatever....I think with existing technology they could probably make something like that happen using 35mm size sensors...

Curiosity really has the better of me here so the more I can learn about this stuff the better.