Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I was able to try a K-1...

Just a short attempt at trying the camera. General impressions are excellent, it IS a great camera. Right size, right weight, right shape. Buttons and dials in all the right places. It's just not a great camera for video, as I shall demonstrate.

There is a bit of moire and aliasing, though nothing earth shattering. I didn't notice much in the way of compression artifacts, which is good (still h.264 though). However the shake reduction is, surprise surprise, awful. It does appear improved over the K-3, which suffered more from rolling shutter. But physics are physics, and so what is recorded shaken can't be unshaken, the results aren't nice.

If SR were activated it would improve significantly.

I didn't took time to adjust exposure properly, to get the white balance right etc. I even forgot to set the stills to raw, apart from two photos shot in raw+. Damn.

If Pentax were to fix the K-1, I shall put my name on the waiting list as soon as I can afford it.

06-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
If Pentax were to fix the K-1, I shall put my name on the waiting list as soon as I can afford it.
I don't think Ricoh / Pentax considers the K-1 to be broken
06-01-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's just not a great camera for video

HOW MANY people have bought it for its video capabilities?

Its sold out in many places, so I guess all those buyers are tolerating a " not a great' video cam.

Tomorrow is 3 weeks since I got mine,WHERES the video button?

Last edited by surfar; 06-01-2016 at 02:29 PM.
06-01-2016, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
HOW MANY MORE people would have bought if it it had good video capabillities?

And to answer your rhetorical question - probably no-one. Why would anyone buy it if its not good for video??? Illogical question.

06-01-2016, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

Its sold out in many places, so I guess all those buyers are tolerating a " not a great' video cam.
Obviously people didn't buy it for its video capabilities. That's like saying how many people have bought a Ferrari for its ability to transport many passengers? D'uh. All people who buy the K-1 are ones that don't need video.

With a few small changes in the firmware they could extend their reach though. What's wrong with that? None of the changes/additions proposed would make it any worse for people who don't want video.

Anyway, if _that_ doesn't look terrible I don't know. Simple shaky cam, unstabilised, would be a significant improvement. No matter if you want video or not, there's no denying that this result should be unacceptable.

I like the K-1 a lot. It feels great, much better than I expected. It's just right. I think I could live with it, and I'm fuzzy about size and weight. However for ME this is a dealbreaker, and I can't be the only one. Being the underdog it might not be such a bad idea to try to appeal to a slightly wider audience.

This was the attempt at creating something "good" looking. Little movement, trying to hold it stable while moving the camera around the other camera. Yet you can see the artifacts... and that's at just 50mm, with little movement.
06-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
HOW MANY MORE
NONE! because they've all been sold!

That youtube footage is a random take, the video footage ive seen in other youtubes is reasonable.I haven't bothered trying video out on my K1 yet, however, I'm expecting some reasonably good results when I do.
06-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a short attempt at trying the camera. General impressions are excellent, it IS a great camera. Right size, right weight, right shape. Buttons and dials in all the right places. It's just not a great camera for video, as I shall demonstrate.

There is a bit of moire and aliasing, though nothing earth shattering. I didn't notice much in the way of compression artifacts, which is good (still h.264 though). However the shake reduction is, surprise surprise, awful. It does appear improved over the K-3, which suffered more from rolling shutter. But physics are physics, and so what is recorded shaken can't be unshaken, the results aren't nice.

Pentax K-1 video sample with SR on - YouTube

If SR were activated it would improve significantly.

I didn't took time to adjust exposure properly, to get the white balance right etc. I even forgot to set the stills to raw, apart from two photos shot in raw+. Damn.

Video?

I got a k-500 two years ago last month and finally used it for video yesterday as a test. I ordered a K-1 three weeks ago.

06-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If we're talking video then all I'd say is look up LaurenOE's videos, many of which were shot on a K-3 (not even a K-1). Impressive.
06-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes,
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
LaurenOE's videos

Laurens superb footage with a K3 is an example of what a Pentax is capable of, The K1 is only just a newby, the video specs are similar to a K3.

So, lets see what footage can be captured as time goes by.
06-01-2016, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

And I really hope we can leave it there. The "Pentax-isn't-great-at-video" subject has been done to death here on the forums... Acknowledged - now let's move on, eh?
06-01-2016, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And I really hope we can leave it there. The "Pentax-isn't-great-at-video" subject has been done to death here on the forums... Acknowledged - now let's move on, eh?
Nope. It's why we have a Pentax Video forum..

If you're not making waves, you aren't moving anywhere.

This issue of poor Pentax video features will go on for as long as it takes Pentax to catch up, just as long as the Full-Frame threads continued ad-nauseam until they finally built and released one.
06-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Nope. It's why we have a Pentax Video forum..

If you're not making waves, you aren't moving anywhere.

This issue of poor Pentax video features will go on for as long as it takes Pentax to catch up, just as long as the Full-Frame threads continued ad-nauseam until they finally built and released one.
<Sigh>... OK, folks, knock yourselves out and enjoy
06-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You know you don't have to read the 'Video' forum.. :P
06-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The Forum review of the K1 is there to view, whoever did the review seems to indicate the K1 is the best video Pentax yet.

There are many reviews on Youtube of the K1, the video capability isn't state of the art but its not bad.I'm sure the video enthusiasts who don't have other brand cams 4 video, will make some OK movies.

Sony A7s are geared for stills(a7r) and video(a7s), total cost ? ? ? too much!
06-01-2016, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I heard my ears ringing...
Ok, here is a short project I did last week - all K1 footage.
I did this in a single week.

Everything you see is my work.

This is my first "K1 project" and I'm very pleased with how the K1 is going to fit into my workflow.

The K1 is as good (if not better) than the K3 for video.
The K1 even records in stereo, and is much cleaner in the audio department.
The K1 is better for video in that the video mode, is now set on the dial instead of in a menu.

There is a lot to like in the K1 video department, and like the K3 - news of the "poor" video of the K1 are greatly exaggerated.

There is no way the K1 is going to replace my Sony FS7, Osmo, Phantom 3 or GoPros, but the K1 - like the K3 - has earned it's place in my workflow.

Some shots of the K1 in action from the above shoot.

Of course...there needs to be a serious effort in the video department for an upcoming Pentax dSLR, and my bet is on the K3III.

---------- Post added 06-01-16 at 11:26 PM ----------

Here is a short clip from my K1 as I was at an Airshow this weekend.

I shot this from a monopod, so I wasn't able to do much to keep things rock steady.
I didn't have some of my full-blown video gear with me, so it was *just* the K1.
I covered the microphones with my hand, so to quiet the wind noise.
Notice that you can still hear the misfires in the engines, and while there is wind noise, the audio is superb for the K1 doing what it needed to do on automatic!
The K1 passes in my book when it comes to video.

So why is video important?

These are the images I took that day - LaurenOE's Album: Collins B-25, B-24, B-17 and P-51 - PentaxForums.com

From a creative perspective, I like a single tool to be able to make something fun and interesting from.
It's nice to mix photography with video clips if possible.

As I did, way back with my K5 here.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 06-01-2016 at 10:20 PM.