Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Your argument isnt logical. There are no "wildlife cameras". And nobody is making you buy a 500mm lens with your 35mm lens.

There are deticated video cameras, and until recently it wasnt possible to use one device for both video and still picture.

When we buy cameras now we are forced to buy a video camera with it, unlike that 500mm lens nobody is making you buy.
Up recently we also were forced to buy an Mp3 player, a point and shoot camera and a cellphone...
Now all those functions are combined in smartphones and you're forced to buy those...
It's progress, and as cameras and videocameras share a lot in common (see Canon C100 or C300 series for example)...
I can't see the problem behind having the freedom to choose what to do with a product besides being restricted by it...

07-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Consumers buy any product for the features they need,no ''brand'' makes every product,so its simple, buy the product that does the job.
07-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasha Quote
Up recently we also were forced to buy an Mp3 player, a point and shoot camera and a cellphone...
Now all those functions are combined in smartphones and you're forced to buy those...
It's progress, and as cameras and videocameras share a lot in common (see Canon C100 or C300 series for example)...
I can't see the problem behind having the freedom to choose what to do with a product besides being restricted by it...
Yes and the only lens ever made should be the canon 28-300L or simga 50-500 for full frame. That way you arent restricted to one focal length. Afterall these lenses use to not be possibpe but now that they are, every lens should be like this...

Sometimes being restricted is desirable.
07-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #19

Your argument isnt logical. There are no "wildlife cameras". And nobody is making you buy a 500mm lens with your 35mm lens.

There are deticated video cameras, and until recently it wasnt possible to use one device for both video and still picture.

When we buy cameras now we are forced to buy a video camera with it, unlike that 500mm lens nobody is making you buy.
Maybe your cameras are not dedicated wildlife cameras, but plenty of people use a DSLR that they would refer to as their dedicated wildlife camera. No one's making you buy a DSLR. My point is that my Pentax is a video camera, it records video! Just because you don't use it doesn't make the feature unimportant.

Out of curiosity, which dedicated video camera can natively accept my K-mount lenses? Can you link me to a website where I can buy it?

07-08-2016, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Yes and the only lens ever made should be the canon 28-300L or simga 50-500 for full frame. That way you arent restricted to one focal length. Afterall these lenses use to not be possibpe but now that they are, every lens should be like this...

Sometimes being restricted is desirable.
you're actually choosing a condition in which you're restricted (only canon 28-300L or simga 50-500) as a bad example to highlight that being restricted is instead a good thing, forgiving, for example, to superzoom cameras

I think what really Pentax doesn't need (because of their relatively small userbase), is trying to make just a "small" set of people happy of their product by not including those functions... Just think about it. If this Pentax K-70 was perfect also for those who shot mostly videos, there would be an ever bigger userbase and maybe, more lenses developed by third party manufacturer for this system would be developed in the future. And you, who shot only pictures, would benefit by this improved situation (more lenses!). That can't probably be possible if Pentax will continue to lag behind and being used by a smaller and smaller userbase because other brands (Fuji for example, see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/75-video-pentax-hdslrs/325373-why-cant-pe...ml#post3704107) will appeal more even to whom who were before Pentaxians...

Anyway, I just said I think videocameras lag behind DSLR (able to shoot good video) for their inability to let the user choose what lens he/she like

Last edited by Sasha; 07-08-2016 at 07:58 AM. Reason: wrote can, mean can't
07-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Maybe your cameras are not dedicated wildlife cameras, but plenty of people use a DSLR that they would refer to as their dedicated wildlife camera. No one's making you buy a DSLR. My point is that my Pentax is a video camera, it records video! Just because you don't use it doesn't make the feature unimportant.<br />
<br />
Out of curiosity, which dedicated video camera can natively accept my K-mount lenses? Can you link me to a website where I can buy it?
<br />
<br />
Kmount wasnt intended for video. Trying buy lenses in a video camera mount next time.
07-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
So today I took a look at what Fuji offers with their X-T2. We know that Fuji is really a stills photography oriented brand when it comes to their cameras. But even they managed to improve dramatically for video guys.

4K 1.17x 3,840 x 2,160 5,120 x 2,880 100Mbps
FULL HD 1.0x 1,920 x 1,080 3,000 x 1,687 100Mbps

Film Simulation modes are available during video recording. Movie shooters can enjoy extra creativity, without the need for lengthy post-production, including monochrome video in ACROS and documentary-themed tones in CLASSIC CHROME. You can also change settings such as aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation while recording video.

And then

Video can be output via HDMI during recording, allowing you to simultaneously check footage on the camera's LCD monitor or EVF and an external monitor. The data can even be recorded onto an external recorder as you film in the uncompressed format. As for 4K movie, you can choose log gamma "F-Log" to record a wider dynamic range than normal video mode.

Also focus peaking is available during video recording.

If Pentax came up with these specs next to the already fascinating features for stills photography, Pentax would come up with pretty much ideal camera that the one could expect from Pentax.

I beg you Ricoh Pentax, K3 mark 3 with similar video specs for this autumn. Photography is fine as it is in your latest cams. Don;t sleep and upper your game in a field you lag behind against almost all other brands.
I think that the majority of Pentax camera owners, here at least, are not really looking for top notch video capabilities.
My reasoning: you need great video, just look into other brands.

07-08-2016, 07:48 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
I don't quite understand all this fuss abut video. I have K-5, K-5IIs and K-3II and I bought them for taking pictures, non of them has ever been i videomode. If I wanted to take video, then I had bought a videocamera! But that's just my opinion.
Why is it that people can't understand that some users would PREFER to use a large sensor camera for video, and not a camcorder, and yet they really love their Pentax Cameras for photography, so if Pentax had good video functions, we wouldn't have to buy two entire camera systems, and adding good video doesn't harm you (the photograph only person) in any way, just don't use it if you don't want to!

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
My reasoning: you need great video, just look into other brands.
Pentax is the value brand, with tons of features. Video would only help to sell that, right?

p.s.
When said users who enjoy videography are trying to have a discussion, please don't interject with "but I don't need it so I don't want it" useless statements. If video people like us feel like venting a bit, leave us be.
07-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasha Quote
Yes the lack of small, high capacity MP3 players is annoying.....I own several old style music players and they are much MUCH smaller than a smartphone and the batteries actually last longer than 50 mins per charge! I may be forced to buy a smart phone by my work, as we are shifting to a new way of working, and I'm not looking forward to it. My fingers seem particularly unsuited to touch screens, so I hae to carry a selection of styli around if I know I have to use the office iPhone!

I have no objection to video features in a DSLR, although I doubt if I will ever use them, but part of the deal with Pentax is that you get a lot for you money generally, but that the video spec is always likely to be a little behind because of the processors that Pentax tend to use (see posts earlier in the thread) If video is very important to you, you might be better off with another brand. I recently purchased a Panasonic camera to supplement my Pentax kit, and that apparently has quite advanced video capabilities so I can use that if I want to explore the creation of moving images( my experience of Super 8 back in the 70's has indicated that I am better sticking to stills photography!)
07-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #25

<br />
<br />
Kmount wasnt intended for video. Trying buy lenses in a video camera mount next time.
And transistors weren't meant for digital picture-taking. Maybe we should throw out our digital cameras?
Interestingly, K-mount was not intended for a digital sensor, or computers either. Maybe K-mount should never have been made for a digital camera.

Maybe you know something Pentax engineers don't. Because they have made quite a few digital video cameras with a K-mount.

Last edited by Dipsoid; 07-08-2016 at 07:59 AM.
07-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #26
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Simple answer: because SocioNext hasn't done those things with the Milbeaut image processor yet (or did them too recently for it to be in the Pentax design stream), and Pentax can't just "do" video features - they depend on SocioNext to build it into the Milbeaut/PRIME for them. All Milbeaut-based cameras lag behind on video.
The most recent (I think) processor:
"The MB86S27 is equipped with a Codec Engine originally developed at Socionext, and is designed for delivering high resolution 4K video."

This is almost a year old. Maybe there's hope?
07-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

And transistors weren't meant for digital picture-taking. Maybe we should throw out our digital cameras?
Interestingly, K-mount was not intended for a digital sensor, or computers either. Maybe K-mount should never have been a digital camera.

Maybe you know something Pentax engineers don't. Because they have made quite a few digital video cameras with a K-mount.
Buy pentax and complaining about the video when you know pentax doesnt focus on video would be like me buying hassleblad and complaing they dont have 800mm f4 wildlife lenses for medium format and cameras that shoot 14 fps.

If its the wrong system for what you want, dont buy it. But coming on here to whine and complain about it wont change anything.

---------- Post added 07-08-16 at 08:03 AM ----------

Interestingly, K-mount was not intended for a digital sensor, or computers either. Maybe K-mount should never have been made for a digital camera.

Im not saying that from a texhnical perspective. Sure kmount can technically be used. But they are not promoting it for such use. Therefore its not intended to be primarily used for such.
07-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The present generation Milbeaut chip m8-m (which has not yet been seen in Pentax camera's in my opinion. If not 4k then we would at least have seen 1080p 60fps.) can do 4K 30fps. it will probably be in the K-3 II successor. Still video is not a Pentax priority and I believe mirrorless is better for video anyway.
07-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #29

Buy pentax and complaining about the video when you know pentax doesnt focus on video would be like me buying hassleblad and complaing they dont have 800mm f4 wildlife lenses for medium format and cameras that shoot 14 fps.

If its the wrong system for what you want, dont buy it. But coming on here to whine and complain about it wont change anything.

---------- Post added 07-08-16 at 08:03 AM ----------

Im not saying that from a texhnical perspective. Sure kmount can technically be used. But they are not promoting it for such use. Therefore its not intended to be primarily used for such.
No, it's not like that. It's more like buying a Hassleblad and not being able to take decent portraits, because all of the portrait lenses available are poor. Hassleblad have never made a 800mm f4 lens, Pentax has made quite a few video-taking SLRs. Clearly they want me to be able to take video. Pentax is promoting it for video-use, have you seen the K-70? The PLM and electronic aperture were specifically made for video-taking, look at the marketing materials.
07-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Yes the lack of small, high capacity MP3 players is annoying.....I own several old style music players and they are much MUCH smaller than a smartphone and the batteries actually last longer than 50 mins per charge! I may be forced to buy a smart phone by my work, as we are shifting to a new way of working, and I'm not looking forward to it. My fingers seem particularly unsuited to touch screens, so I hae to carry a selection of styli around if I know I have to use the office iPhone!
try with buying a smartphone different from an iPhone then... Except from these last one...all androids have bigger screen and they don't last 50 minutes berween charges...switching from Galaxy S3 (died at 20 every day) to Galaxy S5 (last until I go to bed with 20/30% remaining battery) give me a lot less "headaches"... and it have a bigger screen too...

anyway, I didn't fail to understand your irony... just saying that, with progress, products today are a lot better than those in the same price tag of the early days... and if you have a "trained ear" and a great pair of over-ear/on-ear headphones you may recognize (even if this is not always the case depending on the quality of the DSP used in smartphones for audio through headphones) that probably a new high quality smartphone even allow to listen to MP3 songs better than your old MP3 player... try set it on airplane mode and it will last even longer than your old MP3 player...

Last edited by Sasha; 07-08-2016 at 08:33 AM.