Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2016, 01:18 AM   #76
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I have attached two screengrabs, one was shot with the K-5, the other with the HC-X900. I wouldn't call the scene particularly challenging... (yes, the white balance is different between them, but I tried to adjust the white balance, and it's still not good).
Uhm, I'll try to review more accurately my shots and let you know then

Jello isn't an issue with the K-5, because SR fixes it. Moire... yes, but you have to be a pixel peeper to really notice it. The jello issues that other DSLRs have (even current ones) are IMHO more serious and much more annoying.
For my understanding, fixing jello with SR is very hard... but I also agree with you about others DSLR being even worse...

IMHO the HC-X900 fails even in normal lighting, for example with skin tones. Skin suddenly changes saturation or even hue, for example. Even for stills shot with the camera. IIRC it uses something like 3 x 1/6" sensors. That's a bit small... even when there's 3 of them.
I agree with you about those sensors too much small :/

07-12-2016, 02:37 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasha Quote
Uhm, I'll try to review more accurately my shots and let you know then

For my understanding, fixing jello with SR is very hard... but I also agree with you about others DSLR being even worse...

I agree with you about those sensors too much small :/
Actually, it isn't IMHO. There are two kinds of rolling shutter that can annoy... the first is if you pan fast or something fast moves by... you can't eliminate that with SR, but it is not that annoying. If you look for it, you can see it everywhere, but you have to look for it to notice. The second effect is when there is small shaking in any direction... up, down, left or right. Especially if there is lots of it. Then the image starts to distort, wobble, ... and THAT is really obvious and distracting. SR fixes that. I mean, proper SR that does the stabilization so that the sensor won't record a shaken image. If you stabilize in software, you'll amplify the effect and it will look much, much worse (all Pentax cameras coming out after the K-5 suffer from that).
07-12-2016, 03:23 AM   #78
Veteran Member

I think you mean that sensor shift SR 'prevents' it, rather than 'fixes' it. Sorry if that sounds pedantic, but it could be cause of some confusion?

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 07-14-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
07-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I think your mean that sensor shift SR 'prevents' it, rather than 'fixes' it. Sorry if that sounds pedantic, but it could be cause of some confusion?
Yes, that's what I meant. I should put more care into my words, to make sure they can't be misunderstood. But what matters in the end is that when you look at the video, you don't notice the jello.

07-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Just watching Extra Gear, the little brother to Top Gear, and they are showing some BTS stuff. It looked like they had a DSLR hanging off a drone... looked like one of the smaller, lighter DSLRs, think D5300 or something along those lines. A bit later there's a Canon DSLR, looks like a 1D... so 1Dc probably? Then a clear shot of a Panasonic GH4. Some big Sony cameras, think FS7-ish? BTS stuff seems to be shot on a DSLR or mirrorless, can't quite make out which one... but there is relatively shallow DoF, and a rig. Another (?) GH4 is used as in car camera to show the host. Now, the main cameras seem to be the big ones... the Sonys etc., but they also use "consumer grade" stills cameras, and it mixes well. They _could_ use Blackmagic cameras, instead it's regular stuff that is also meant for stills.

Also, an interesting side note: In the studio the TV they use to show things on camera? Looks like an old Panasonic plasma... before they got really good light filters on them.
08-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #81

Hopefully the K1 Silver Limited Edition will be able to do 4K 30p (or 60p!). They might have rushed the K1 due to the timing to retain the current Pentax users. But I guess most would like to have decent video on their first Pentax FF DSLR. Currently I carry my K3 for photos and a Panny FZ1000 for its 5 axis stabilized 4K30p video. -_____-""" Honestly, I do prefer the Pentax having good video capabilities. A 5 min 4K 30p or 60p video is suffice for my needs since majority of my time is on photos but at times I do want to take a short video of the place I am in.
08-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #82

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bonn Quote
Hopefully the K1 Silver Limited Edition will be able to do 4K 30p (or 60p!). They might have rushed the K1 due to the timing to retain the current Pentax users. But I guess most would like to have decent video on their first Pentax FF DSLR. Currently I carry my K3 for photos and a Panny FZ1000 for its 5 axis stabilized 4K30p video. -_____-""" Honestly, I do prefer the Pentax having good video capabilities. A 5 min 4K 30p or 60p video is suffice for my needs since majority of my time is on photos but at times I do want to take a short video of the place I am in.
I think our best bet would be the successor of Pentax K3 mk2 to come with a better processor and more fancy video features than any current Pentax DSLR or they would release another FF body model, I suspect Pentax K1 would need a redesign from it's core to support 4k, Ricoh didn;t look into the future in this regard, but got many other things right for their FF at least. But I think they won;t release any new FF body anytime soon, would love to be wrong though.

So the only small hope is Pentax K3 mk3, they already released K70 which is nothing on par to anything in competition for video these days. So looking at all lines that are left not updates is either 645z successor ( completely doubtful to do anything about video nor the price point would be attractive, people would go with the RED video cameras for the price, makes much more sense for video making) while Pentax K3 mk3 could be it. But Ricoh Pentax likes to sell cameras of other brands too. so it would be really surprising to see Pentax upping the game in video section. They could have done it with K70 already. But judging from their "innovation line" models, K3mk3 might come with built in wifi, swivel or vary angle LCD, leds like on K1 and a new APS-C sensor similar to the one in K70 (with phase detect on the sensor) and probably a 5 axis image stabilization and again mediocre video. But surely for stills what comes next will be exciting and fantastic.

08-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
So the only small hope is Pentax K3 mk3,
That would bring the brand up to the same standard in video as in stills, so long as they remember to up the Data-rate, or fix the HDMI.

---------- Post added 10-08-16 at 05:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
So looking at all lines that are left not updates is either 645z successor ( completely doubtful to do anything about video nor the price point would be attractive, people would go with the RED video cameras for the price, makes much more sense for video making)
There isn't a Red you can get at the same price as the 645z that you're 'Ready to film' on for those dollars - minimum entry to red filming is really $20k AUS, around $15k US.
At the same price bracket as the 645z, but capable of 4K, you've got Cion, Sony FS5 & FS7, BMD Production Camera & Ursa, and KiniMini4K, which are all "Super35" class sensors, three of which use the same Global Shutter sensor.

Outside of the 645z's HD-only video capability, you have to go to 3 to 4 times the price to find another camera with large sensor that can output video, and the 4K to 8K crowd gets very stratified.

Side note,... The Arri Alexa, known as the best digital cinema out there, isn't capable of 4K.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arri_Alexa

(Open Gate Mode is the bit I'm interested in there.)

As much as my own needs include 4K, for the average consumer, HD is more then high enough resolution, and the APS-c / s35 sensor class for DLSR's & MILC's would benefit more by improved quality at HD.

Flagship models, like the K-1 for FF and K-3 for APS-c, should have record-able 4K output to the HDMI as a minimum.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 08-10-2016 at 12:42 AM.
08-10-2016, 04:57 AM   #84
Veteran Member

The problem with the 645Z is not the resolution, the problem is that the sensor can't be read fast enough, the sensor can't process the data fast enough. I'm pretty sure it does massive line skipping etc., which means huge gaps between the pixels that are read. The quality is just not there. IMHO video functionality in that camera only exists because the sensor barely supports it, and the sensor does it because in a studio environment it can be useful to have live view.
08-10-2016, 05:38 AM - 2 Likes   #85

Photos: Gallery
IMO Pentax does most of the things right. I like it for the interface, built quality, weather resistance, value and look. But no one can tell me that by improving AF and video capabilities they would loose some of their identity and unikenes .
Improving of those things would put them in a different league and everyone would benefit.
08-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #86
Veteran Member

"Improving AF and Video"

Look at it another way, they'd really just be bringing those functions up to the same standards as the rest of the product.
08-15-2016, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #87
mee
Veteran Member

Q: Why can't Pentax do something like Fuji did with X-T2?
A: Because they don't want to.