Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 04:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why can't Pentax do something like Fuji did with X-T2?

So today I took a look at what Fuji offers with their X-T2. We know that Fuji is really a stills photography oriented brand when it comes to their cameras. But even they managed to improve dramatically for video guys.

4K 1.17x 3,840 x 2,160 5,120 x 2,880 100Mbps
FULL HD 1.0x 1,920 x 1,080 3,000 x 1,687 100Mbps

Film Simulation modes are available during video recording. Movie shooters can enjoy extra creativity, without the need for lengthy post-production, including monochrome video in ACROS and documentary-themed tones in CLASSIC CHROME. You can also change settings such as aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation while recording video.

And then

Video can be output via HDMI during recording, allowing you to simultaneously check footage on the camera's LCD monitor or EVF and an external monitor. The data can even be recorded onto an external recorder as you film in the uncompressed format. As for 4K movie, you can choose log gamma "F-Log" to record a wider dynamic range than normal video mode.

Also focus peaking is available during video recording.

If Pentax came up with these specs next to the already fascinating features for stills photography, Pentax would come up with pretty much ideal camera that the one could expect from Pentax.

I beg you Ricoh Pentax, K3 mark 3 with similar video specs for this autumn. Photography is fine as it is in your latest cams. Don;t sleep and upper your game in a field you lag behind against almost all other brands.

07-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
...buy the Fuji if you need what it offers
07-08-2016, 04:50 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
I beg you Ricoh Pentax, K3 mark 3 with similar video specs for this autumn. Photography is fine as it is in your latest cams. Don;t sleep and upper your game in a field you lag behind against almost all other brands.
My guess would be that the K-3II replacement will have very similar (possibly very slightly upgraded, but not much) video capabilities to the K-70. I think that model will be a pretty good yardstick of the Pentax APS-C feature set over the next year or two.
07-08-2016, 05:14 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Typical response from too many people on here. His point about a company stepping up their video game is a good one. I also wish Pentax would do the same.

07-08-2016, 05:19 AM   #5
FOX

I'd also love some video improvements like more MBps, more control, fps. They will come, but Pentax takes long in this department. My K01 had good video features for its time and the price of the camera (and a ultra fast red button for quick video recording), we still have pretty much the same in newer cameras.
07-08-2016, 05:31 AM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Really?? You just missed the point by a mile

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My guess would be that the K-3II replacement will have very similar (possibly very slightly upgraded, but not much) video capabilities to the K-70. I think that model will be a pretty good yardstick of the Pentax APS-C feature set over the next year or two.
Let's hope not!
Actually, I'm perfectly fine with 1080p, but if Pentax keeps including poor 1080p quality in their cameras...
07-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

WHY?,because Ricoh/Pentax don't do mirror less.

07-08-2016, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I chose Pentax for the fact that they dont concentrate on video. And i keft canon because they did...
07-08-2016, 05:54 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Simple answer: because SocioNext hasn't done those things with the Milbeaut image processor yet (or did them too recently for it to be in the Pentax design stream), and Pentax can't just "do" video features - they depend on SocioNext to build it into the Milbeaut/PRIME for them. All Milbeaut-based cameras lag behind on video.
07-08-2016, 06:24 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Where is the ''Dislike'' button?
07-08-2016, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't quite understand all this fuss abut video.
I have K-5, K-5IIs and K-3II and I bought them for taking pictures, non of them has ever been i videomode.
If I wanted to take video, then I had bought a videocamera!
But that's just my opinion.
07-08-2016, 06:56 AM - 3 Likes   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
I have K-5, K-5IIs and K-3II and I bought them for taking pictures, non of them has ever been i videomode.
I don't use lenses longer than 300mm, I use my camera for taking portraits! Pentax should drop support for all long lenses and if people want to shoot wildlife they should buy a wildlife camera!
But that's just my opinion!
07-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
I have a videocamera. A Panasonic HC-x900 which is/was a pretty good (FullHD) camera in consumer market.
It has a great 5 axis video stabilization, good picture quality and it offers some form of manual controls. It's great but compared to DSLR/mirrorless it lags a lot behind for DOF, picture quality in low light condition (it has 3 small sensors with (IMHO) too much resolution), freedom to chose lenses based on what I like to use...

So yep, you may not need/want to shot videos with a DSLR but... Others may want to and there're some reasons behind their preferenceses

---------- Post added 07-08-16 at 07:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
I don't use lenses longer than 300mm, I use my camera for taking portraits! Pentax should drop support for all long lenses and if people want to shoot wildlife they should buy a wildlife camera!

Last edited by Sasha; 07-08-2016 at 07:08 AM.
07-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #14
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am actually really surprised they didn't do 4k at 30fps on the K1
07-08-2016, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Your argument isnt logical. There are no "wildlife cameras". And nobody is making you buy a 500mm lens with your 35mm lens.

There are deticated video cameras, and until recently it wasnt possible to use one device for both video and still picture.

When we buy cameras now we are forced to buy a video camera with it, unlike that 500mm lens nobody is making you buy.