Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As everyone here says, we won't see a huge improvement in Pentax when it comes to videos. So maybe you should move on. I for one wanted to upgrade my daughter to Pentax. Unfortunately, one of her requirements is video. So I might be buying her a d5300.

As for me, I'm staying with Pentax. This is where I'm going to invest unless they kill the K-mount. I still hope they give us lenses with the aperture lever in the future.

10-25-2016, 01:13 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Just an inquiry, what would be the best zoom lens range for video?
That really depends on what you're filming.

For motorsports, I've used both 70-300 and 28-200 Sigma's with fair success, just be aware that the Rolling Shutter Skew gets more pronounced at longer focal lengths.
The slower nature of these lenses can aid in keeping fast moving racecars in focus, just as it can footballers.

For hand-held shots in Short Films, Music Videos and Feature Films, Wider zooms are more useful because they reduce the impact of sudden camera motions, which is better for viewer comfort, hoever, on an s35/APS-c sized sensor, going wider then 24mm can start to distort the edges of the frame noticeable as the camera moves - the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 lens is considered to be one of the best wide end zooms for this kind of work.

More often then not, when I reach for a MF Zoom, it's my classic Sigma 35-70mm f2.8 push-pull, simply because it covers most of the shots I want to do on a Tripod.

---------- Post added 25-10-16 at 07:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Unfortunately, one of her requirements is video. So I might be buying her a d5300.
I don't understand the use of the word "Unfortunately" in that sentence. There's no reason for the requirement to be good or bad, it just is.
As for the choice of a Nikon d5300, yes, those are fairly good cameras, being able to record externally is a bonus on all the Nikons that support clean outputs.
The two downsides with Nikon are the price premium that applies to the lenses, and that the FFD of the mount prevents you from adapting as many other lenses to the camera as you could with a GH4 or A7.
12-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Techwolf Quote
Does anyone know if we will ever have a firmware upgrade that would change the h.264 compression to uncompressed format
Almost guaranteed to be a no to this OP question.
Essentially Pentax don't do firmware upgrades that add features, (only compatibility with new lenses), and Pentax don't care about video.
01-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally would be looking at Sony or Panasonic or maybe Canon for video.

01-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I personally would be looking at Sony or Panasonic or maybe Canon for video.
What he said ^^^

As has been noted in the past, Pentax dSLRs do fairly well when using cinematographic technique for common use cases, but lag in features that are useful in that gray areas between consumer video and pro and/or special purpose. I generally point people to Panasonic if video is their primary intent and interchangeable lenses are part of the mix.

Steve
01-01-2017, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Apologies for my sarcastic point of view. It's just upsetting to move on to another brand especially when it needs only to be a bit more speedy for wedding photographers and decent enough for economy class video production houses.
FWIW, I don't know of too many working wedding photographers that do double duty using the same cameras for both stills and video.

Steve