Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Pentax K-3ii video

Does anyone know if we will ever have a firmware upgrade that would change the h.264 compression to uncompressed format so that we can record to an external recorder and get past that 4GB limit because of FAT32 SD cards? I need to be able to record up to 50 minutes without having to stop and restart. I looked at the Atomos Ninja but it does does support Pentax K-3ii due to the h.264 compression. Nikon and Canon will record to the Ninja so why did Pentax go with the h.264 compression? I contacted Pentax and they just sent me back a canned response about lowering my FPS to get longer video....thanks a lot!

Any ideas or news about this?

09-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am pretty sure we'll never see either of those changes through firmware, unfortunately.

Don't Canon and Nikon use the same file format, though? Pentax just doesn't have raw streaming.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Techwolf Quote
Does anyone know if we will ever have a firmware upgrade that would change the h.264 compression to uncompressed format so that we can record to an external recorder and get past that 4GB limit because of FAT32 SD cards?
I think you will need something more than that...clean HDMI out for example.

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-08-2016 at 08:14 PM.
09-09-2016, 02:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Techwolf : We've been after clean-feed output at the same frame size and frame rate for several years.

See here for more info.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/75-video-pentax-hdslrs/295460-k-3-vs-atomos-ninja2.html
And here,.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/75-video-pentax-hdslrs/267683-video-wishlist.html

Adam: Any way that as the Admin of the worlds leading Pentax user forum, you could get the Head Office to have a read of the things us Cinematographers have been looking for?
Surely they'd want to listen to the people from the "Independent site capable of influencing the most potential future purchases" ?

09-09-2016, 02:30 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Techwolf : We've been after clean-feed output at the same frame size and frame rate for several years.

See here for more info.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/75-video-pentax-hdslrs/295460-k-3-vs-atomos-ninja2.html
And here,.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/75-video-pentax-hdslrs/267683-video-wishlist.html

Adam: Any way that as the Admin of the worlds leading Pentax user forum, you could get the Head Office to have a read of the things us Cinematographers have been looking for?
Surely they'd want to listen to the people from the "Independent site capable of influencing the most potential future purchases" ?
I think they know exactly where they're headed with video, frankly. It's simply seems not to be a priority or a feature they find to be worth investing in.

We've asked the question at interviews a couple of times now.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
CDW
Site Supporter

There are lots of tradeoffs when you shoot consumer and prosumer video. The Bayer matrix affects video quality and combined with 8 bit files, doesn't bode well for 1080P out of most DSLRs and mirrorless bodies. Actual measured resolution of most cameras outputting files in 1080P, is closer to 720P, if that.

It is now well-established that shooting in 4K and editing/outputing in 1080P, will give you superior results. 4K offers the advantage of a 4:2:2 file when edited down to 1080P vs 4:2:0 8 bit shot natively at 1080P. The 4K file also allows image stabilization and panning/zooming/cropping of a scene to be refined during editing. The best option going in terms of cost, file options, etc. remains the Panasonic GH-4 (a GH-5 is on the way). You can output 10 bit 4:2:2 via the HDMI output to an external recorder from the GH-4. Another 4K shooting option is the SONY a6300 but it offers less flexibility than the GH-4. The GH-4 is not handicapped by a recording time limit and offers recording times as long as the battery lasts, or you can use an external power supply.

The reality is, as Adam and others have said in the past, don't expect Pentax to make any substantial improvements to video performance in their camera bodies in the near future, much less offer any upgrades. If you're seeking video output quality that rivals professional broadcast standards, you won't find it in Pentax cameras, unfortunately.

Last edited by CDW; 09-09-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Additional info.
09-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
The reality is, as Adam and others have said in the past, don't expect Pentax to make any substantial improvements to video performance in their camera bodies in the near future
In regard to the original post, it should be noted that while Panasonic, Nikon and Sony have broad support for clean HDMI output (required for Atomos compatibility), Canon only does so for its flagship models (1D, 5D, & 7D) and dedicated video cameras. FujiFilm and Olympus camp together with Pentax in not having the feature.

Steve

09-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In regard to the original post, it should be noted that while Panasonic, Nikon and Sony have broad support for clean HDMI output (required for Atomos compatibility), Canon only does so for its flagship models (1D, 5D, & 7D) and dedicated video cameras. FujiFilm and Olympus camp together with Pentax in not having the feature.

Steve
Olympus OM-D E-M5 MkII and the OM-D E-M10 mark II both have clean HDMI out.
09-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Olympus OM-D E-M5 MkII and the OM-D E-M10 mark II both have clean HDMI out.
Interesting...I wonder why Atomos does not list them?

Steve
09-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
The best option going in terms of cost, file options, etc. remains the Panasonic GH-4
They've dropped to $1400 AUS recently. I'm still planning on a Cion, but the GH-4 has me very tempted, especially after shooting for a week with one, directly after an 11 day shoot with a Bolex D16.
The '16mm film look' does have it's own appeal, as much as I prefer s35 / APS-c.
And yes, I had the Shogun hooked to the GH-4, and the ProRes files look fantastic.

Stevebrot : Atomos will only list them if they've tested them internally.

Side Note,... I had to go visit Atomos head office recently for a warranty fix, anyone with a Shogun that has the early type battery connectors, that often flash with a spark when the battery is fitted, may want to be careful the sparking doesn't melt the battery's plastic to the back cover of the Shogun.
Fix is a replacement back panel, replacement DC connection circuit board, and possibly replacement battery.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We've asked the question at interviews a couple of times now.
Don't give up mate, they need to be encouraged to lift the video firmware to the same standards as the stills firmware.
It'll mean a lift in sales from all of us that want to keep using our Pentax glass for filming, but won't buy another Pentax camera till they fix it.

I suppose I'm not normal, in that I can engineer my own mounts to keep using lenses,.... Metabones and LensAdaptor-dot-com don't (and won't going by Metabones email reply,..) support K-mount lenses.
Disapointing given Metabones already do a C-Y product, and the Contax-Yashica lenses have the same Flange Focal Distance as K-mount.
Lensadaptor wanted an exorbitant amount to make a K-to-Cion mount.
When asked, Kinefinity said "Send us a lens when you buy a camera, we'll make you a mount".

I don't know if Pentax ever intends to go 4K video to keep up with it's competitors, as a professional cinematographer, the main benefits of 4K for me are in cinema distribution, and in the reduction in image noise and improvement in image quality on HD export from a good NLE.

I'd say most consumers would settle for really good HD, and if the HDMI was fixed, given that Pentax doesn't clip the dynamic range in the same way as the rest of the DSLR manufacturers (yes, that is a point In Favor of Pentax for Video), many video professionals would be much more likely to swap to Pentax, knowing that they'd also be getting great quality stills.
09-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Agreed.
I really don't see how Pentax can grow their market without keeping up. For the moment, they have lost me as a buyer of their cameras and lenses - but I still consider them the best DSLRs on the market. They just need to retain that K-7-> K-3 design ethos and bring their internals up to date for video (in spite of what the old curmudgeons here think about video )
09-19-2016, 05:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
They just need to retain that K-7-> K-3 design ethos and bring their internals up to date for video (in spite of what the old curmudgeons here think about video )
How "ageist" of you. lol I don't think being opposed to video knows any age limits...nor does being in favor of better video. I'll admit to being an old curmudgeon, but I'm one who has been patiently waiting for better video for a number of years now because...well, it's just an integral part of the modern imaging landscape, right? A DSLR without good video is like a cellphone that won't do selfies. It only sells to a niche market.
09-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
How "ageist" of you. lol I don't think being opposed to video knows any age limits..
Figure of speech, an expression. Not literal.

QuoteQuote:
A DSLR without good video is like a cellphone that won't do selfies. It only sells to a niche market.
Correct.. But a DLSR needs to be able to do selfies too.. (swivel screen ot a tilting screen that faces forward like the PEN E-PL7)
10-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just an inquiry, what would be the best zoom lens range for video? Can a long focal perform well on video? Thanks.
10-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #15

I think Ricoh Pentax just don't want new customers in their business. Not to mention they like pushing people into buying competitor's products. Honestly majority of photographers nowadays don't even consider cameras without decent video capabilities. Decent video = greater performance for stills too.

I am on a search for an upgrade and unfortunately it's not going to be Pentax camera anymore. Scariest thing even Nikon got into the list of consideration, but not Pentax. I so love Pentax about everything except video and it's the only reason my eyes are on other brands. I guess Pentax marketers see lots of fortune income when loosing clients. Less people complaining about video, less lenses and camera body sales. What could be better...

Apologies for my sarcastic point of view. It's just upsetting to move on to another brand especially when it needs only to be a bit more speedy for wedding photographers and decent enough for economy class video production houses. Even Fujifilm recognized that. Pentax is the only one left with outdated video specs if we don't count Sigma cameras.