Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you guys do for video?

I have a K-1 and I think the bitrate is just too low to produce anything I can bear to watch. I really wish I could record 4K without starting over completely in regards to lens systems. So, what do you use to record?

12-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Panasonic does good video and theres adapters for K mounts.Others do too but Pano is good quality and value.

It may be a longtime till 4K capable Pentax is available ? ? ?
12-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

My nx300 does quite well. I like MF with touchscreen refocus, very convenient.
12-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Every time I've wanted a little video, which is about once every 2 years, what ever Pentax I have is good enough... I'm not any kind of video professional.

12-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
CDW
Site Supporter

I use a Panasonic GH-4 with adapters to use my K and P6745, as well as Olympus and Panasonic glass. There are now a number of camera options from Panasonic under $1000 USD that shoot extremely good 4K. Short of a full blown professional rig, the GH-4 offers multiple format/bit rate options, touch screen focus, etc. The GH-5 arrives next year with even more refinements and options.

---------- Post added 12-24-16 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I have a K-1 and I think the bitrate is just too low to produce anything I can bear to watch. I really wish I could record 4K without starting over completely in regards to lens systems. So, what do you use to record?
Agreed. Actual resolution from my K-1, even at 1080P, looks not much better than really high quality DVD 480 and doesn't even come close to studio quality 720P.

Last edited by CDW; 12-24-2016 at 01:39 PM.
12-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
The GH-5 arrives next year with even more refinements and options.
Yes, this will raise the bar....AND the price!

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
My nx300 does quite well. I like MF with touchscreen refocus, very convenient.
And its a cheap option but not 4K.....The NX500 will do 4K, cropped and condensed in the H265 codec.
12-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I use a Panasonic GH-4 with adapters to use my K and P6745, as well as Olympus and Panasonic glass. There are now a number of camera options from Panasonic under $1000 USD that shoot extremely good 4K. Short of a full blown professional rig, the GH-4 offers multiple format/bit rate options, touch screen focus, etc. The GH-5 arrives next year with even more refinements and options.

---------- Post added 12-24-16 at 10:37 AM ----------

Agreed. Actual resolution from my K-1, even at 1080P, looks not much better than really high quality DVD 480 and doesn't even come close to studio quality 720P.
I like the idea of the GH-4, but it's a little expensive when the reviews seem to imply that if something breaks (even in-warranty) that you'll get basically no service from Panasonic. I guess I just might have to wait a few more years before breaking into video. Do the K mount adapters break any IBIS ability, or is it like the Pentax cameras, where you can just put in a focal length?

12-24-2016, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Do the K mount adapters break any IBIS ability, or is it like the Pentax cameras, where you can just put in a focal length?

IBIS, is new to Panasonic.....its in the GX85/G85 and to a lessor extent in the GX8.Not in GH4 but 5 axis in the GH5....So it behaves like a Pentax.
A unique feature for Panasonic is the stabilised lenses talk to the stabilised bodies.Maybe the latest Olympus does this too?(omd 1mk2)

I like the idea of the GH-4
Its very capable and price will fall away next year after the GH5 is out....there will be plenty of video guys updating, so used prices will probably come at bargain rates, I'm waiting to see.
12-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
Imp
Pentaxian

ATM I would go for a Panasonic G-85, but I have a Canon G30 that is good enough for me.
12-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a client who asks me to do stills of their facilities. For that my K1 and the lenses I have are beyond excellent. However, recently they asked for video of the place. I knew it was going to be a two camera shoot. I could have used my K1 and another camera but did not want to deal with the possible color mismatch. So this is what I did, I borrowed my brother's Sony A6000 with the 16-50 kit lens. I used that camera on a gimbal for the walk through images. I borrowed another friends A6000 and used my Pentax FA limited lenses (mostly the FA77) for all the tripod and static shots. I shot in 1080P and the results are plenty professional. I asked my client if they wanted 4K and they said no. So this was an easy (almost no cost) shoot. If the video calls come more often and include requests for 4K, then I have to think about my gear a lot more.

IMHO, Sony is the only camera that can deliver high-end stills and high-end video. Yes Panasonic is good with 4K but I am wary of m43 still quality. I have put my Pentax purchase on hold for now. As I mentioned earlier, K1, for its price and capability has no match when it comes to stills. Unfortunately, the addition of video complicates the situation. One possible strategy might be to keep the K1 for stills. Get a Sony A6300 and use it with Pentax glass for static shots and get a Sony A6500 with an AF Sony wide zoom and use it for all the action shots on a gimbal. The video set up will cost around $2.5K and give me best of both worlds. The other option is to go all Sony for both FF stills and 4K video. An all Sony solution will be a lot more expensive than a hybrid Pentax/Sony APSc solution.

Don't know. I am in the same boat as any other Pentaxian who might have to deal with calls for pro quality video. For now I am in no hurry. I will see if more video comes my way.
12-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I am in the same boat as any other Pentaxian who might have to deal with calls for pro quality video.
c'mon pentax...
12-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

but I am wary of m43 still quality
Have you looked at many?

In my opinion, they are extremely good....the K1 cant be beaten in certain lighting situations though.M43/APSc create great shots....but K1 is KING!
12-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a client who asks me to do stills of their facilities. For that my K1 and the lenses I have are beyond excellent. However, recently they asked for video of the place. I knew it was going to be a two camera shoot. I could have used my K1 and another camera but did not want to deal with the possible color mismatch. So this is what I did, I borrowed my brother's Sony A6000 with the 16-50 kit lens. I used that camera on a gimbal for the walk through images. I borrowed another friends A6000 and used my Pentax FA limited lenses (mostly the FA77) for all the tripod and static shots. I shot in 1080P and the results are plenty professional. I asked my client if they wanted 4K and they said no. So this was an easy (almost no cost) shoot. If the video calls come more often and include requests for 4K, then I have to think about my gear a lot more.

IMHO, Sony is the only camera that can deliver high-end stills and high-end video. Yes Panasonic is good with 4K but I am wary of m43 still quality. I have put my Pentax purchase on hold for now. As I mentioned earlier, K1, for its price and capability has no match when it comes to stills. Unfortunately, the addition of video complicates the situation. One possible strategy might be to keep the K1 for stills. Get a Sony A6300 and use it with Pentax glass for static shots and get a Sony A6500 with an AF Sony wide zoom and use it for all the action shots on a gimbal. The video set up will cost around $2.5K and give me best of both worlds. The other option is to go all Sony for both FF stills and 4K video. An all Sony solution will be a lot more expensive than a hybrid Pentax/Sony APSc solution.

Don't know. I am in the same boat as any other Pentaxian who might have to deal with calls for pro quality video. For now I am in no hurry. I will see if more video comes my way.
Yeah, the reason I need 4k isn't resolution, it's cropping. I want to be in the shots myself, and since I don't have someone else who can do camera work, 4k would let me have shots that aren't quite so static.
12-25-2016, 03:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've taken some great short videos on my K01. It depends what you want the video for. Uploading it to any of the usual suspects eg Youtube or vimeo you only need a fraction of what you have taken.
I think the most important part of taking most videos is stability of the camera, knowing what not to do, getting the best light compromise and achieving the best sound possible.

I place the most importance on a good quality external mic and getting the sound right.

Watching other setups where people use a dslr with a dozen accessories to video so you don't even know where the camera is - isn't for me.

I have a semi serious dedicated canon video that I use for my professional video work. I haven't done any serious video work with the K1 but I've had good results with the K3 in some serious outdoor Antarctic weather.
12-25-2016, 05:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An interesting thread but I've got a follow up to the OP's original request. I bought a Sony NEX5 a couple of years ago and I've used it with a Sony 18-55 and Pentax lenses with an adapter.

The results have been fine but I have real problems with the Sony user interface, and bigger problems switching back and forth.
Any comments about the ease of use of the recommended alternatives like Panasonic?

I'd like to replace the Sony and have no need for 4K,most of the videos I make are likely to be viewed on a 4 to 10 inch tablet or phone.