Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Have you looked at many?
Yes. Panasonic and Olympus. They are quite good but no match for K1 when it comes to stills. I know it is like comparing apples to oranges and not fair. However, it is comparing the best each brand or format has to offer.

---------- Post added 12-25-16 at 07:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
c'mon pentax...
Exactly. A K1 replacement with a high quality 1080P will be a good start. A 4K capable FF will be the ultimate. If the 4K capable FF Pentax comes to fruition, it will go head-to-head with Sony A7RII and A99II (not to mention Canikon offerings), something Sony may not want. At the same time, Sony's market share is so much bigger than Pentax that Sony may not care.

12-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I've taken some great short videos on my K01. It depends what you want the video for.
I use a K-01, too. I mostly use it for static shots, but I have no qualms about mixing it in with video shot on our full-size Panasonic camcorders. Heck, I've even used video shot on my Q on occasion.
12-27-2016, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
I'd like to replace the Sony and have no need for 4K,most of the videos I make are likely to be viewed on a 4 to 10 inch tablet or phone.
The important thing to realize with 4K is that you can 'crop' and 'zoom' in post without loosing much in the way of detail. IOW: 4K gives you much more freedom to work with your video data.
12-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The important thing to realize with 4K is that you can 'crop' and 'zoom' in post without loosing much in the way of detail. IOW: 4K gives you much more freedom to work with your video data.
Agreed.

2.7K game the ability to stabilise/crop in post and to retain enough detail in 1080/Full HD

Soon I expect we'll see 4.7K as well, for all the same reasons, just not from Pentax...

01-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #20

Pentax wants you to buy Sony cameras. I kind of lost hope. Even Fuji accepted the importance of video features in today's market. But not Pentax.
01-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Pentax wants you to buy Sony cameras. I kind of lost hope. Even Fuji accepted the importance of video features in today's market. But not Pentax.
These Pentax Japanese executives may be traditionalist but they cannot ignore the strong signals from the users and the market.

I doubt they want to go out of business. So perhaps they are cooking up some surprises. The same way they did with 645D, 645Z and the K1. They all took the industry by surprise and brought a seemingly "dead" company back to life and even perhaps prominence.

My expectation is to see pro-spec video in Pentax cameras very soon and an FF 645Z. That would shake things up a bit. Wouldn't you agree?
01-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My K-1 blows other cameras out of the water when it comes to photography, but the new GH5's video capabilities, it makes me cry.

01-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #23

The problem is that they are taking too much time, by the time they will make decent 1080p industry might be already 8k. I love Pentax DSLRs and the quality they bring, I so wished Pentax K1 to be my FF DSLR of choice, but their ignorance of video features pushes me to go with another brand. But if I do so, will I look back? I doubt it, because when the one invest into system, lenses and accessories, the one no longer bounces. I mean currently I am not a person who can jump ship as if changing socks. I just hope that Pentax will manage to offer stills cameras future proof. It doesn;t look like they will do anything video semi-serious any time soon (praying to be wrong), not much is asked in terms of video features, something similar to Samsung NX1, Fuji XT-2 or Sony a7R2, these cameras give this good enough for majority who are to do both stills and video. Lumix GH5 is a whole new landmark, but it is also aimed for very serious use. I guess Pentax won;t bother to go this advanced, but more love for video would be very welcome.

I always used to consider Japan and China to be those countries that are pretty much tomorrow today. but Pentax point of view sometimes doesn;t seem to fit that entirely.
Well anyway, for now the most common practice is to go with Lumix GH4 or Sony a7s for video shooting and loyal Pentaxians use Pentax for photography tasks, that is until they just migrate to one system that gives both worlds for those who often have to deal with stills and video services and projects.
01-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Well anyway, for now the most common practice is to go with Lumix GH4 or Sony a7s for video shooting and loyal Pentaxians use Pentax for photography tasks, that is until they just migrate to one system that gives both worlds for those who often have to deal with stills and video services and projects.
I had a call for video work. I used two Sony A6000 cameras. One with an autofocus lens on a gimbal and the other one with Pentax lenses on a tripod for close ups. It worked out pretty good and it was a cheap solution with nice 1080 footage.

Somehow I cannot bring myself to part with my K1 and all the great Pentax glass. Believe me, I want to go to ONE system that would do both video and stills. It seems like the dedicated/hybrid route may be the way to go. Dedicated K1 for stills and some other system for video that allows the use of Pentax glass, most likely any of the mirrorless offerings. Is Pentax going to challenge a GH5? Probably not anytime soon if ever. Panasonic, Sony and the other video guys have too much of a head start. Their products are mature, well into their development cycle. I guess Pentax guys in Japan know that but at the same time they cannot ignore the direction of the market. Who knows what is going to come from Pentax next. More great still gear, yes. Any decent video, not likely. But as the adage goes, never say never.
01-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
So you say,

Still, I bought a K-1 and not a GH5 or an A7RII or anything else. The price was right, I liked the sensor, the 35mm format, the sensor shift technologies (auto-level, astrotracer). I like my Pentax glass without adapters. It's all autofocus, some of it is DC AF. I like shooting in DNG. I need great weather sealing and low-light capabilities. I actually end up using Wi-Fi a lot. In the end, there's not a 'better' system for me, as much as I'd like better video. I'd just end up compromising on a bunch of other things I value.
01-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #26
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I had a call for video work. I used two Sony A6000 cameras
honestly, a used a6000 with good 1080 60p footage is $320. $20 adapter for pk lenses, & with manual lenses, pretty set! I'm tempted
01-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
honestly, a used a6000 with good 1080 60p footage is $320. $20 adapter for pk lenses, & with manual lenses, pretty set! I'm tempted
Not bad. If you need 4k like I do then the a6300 and a6500 are... ouch. When those two drop in price though, they'll be very interesting.

Last edited by lithedreamer; 01-07-2017 at 10:45 AM.
01-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use a RED camera..simple. DSLRS aren't good enough for video,there are too many compromises involved. I prefer to use dedicated tools, as they are surprisingly well suited to the task for which they are designed for.
01-06-2017, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

The FA 77 was the lens of choice for all the tight shots and shot at f2.8, it is spectacular.

---------- Post added 01-06-17 at 07:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Not bad. If you need 4k like I do then the a6300 and a6500 are... ouch. When those two in price though, they'll be very interesting.
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Not bad. If you need 4k like I do then the a6300 and a6500 are... ouch. When those two in price though, they'll be very interesting.
If I get more calls for video especially 4K then that is exactly what I intend to do. $2K for a used A6300 and a new A6500 and add to it a Sony 10-18 f4 for the wide autofocus shots. Pentax lenses take care of all the long and tight shots. You get to have the best of both worlds for less than the cost of a Sony A7 video camera body. Yes it is not RAW video but it is a lot better than some dedicated HD video cameras of only a few years ago costing a lot more.

I am not a video pro per-se but the footage I got from the A6000 is plenty good for my client's project. They even gave me the look (you know how small the A6000 is) when I was shooting the footage at their facility. Frankly, since it was the first time I was using the set up, I did not believe it myself either, until I saw the footage on my computer the next day. It is good enough for my applications. If the A6000 can look that good, I can't imagine how much better the 6300 or the 6500 will look.

---------- Post added 01-06-17 at 07:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Use a RED camera..simple. DSLRS aren't good enough for video,there are too many compromises involved. I prefer to use dedicated tools, as they are surprisingly well suited to the task for which they are designed for.
You are absolutely right about dedicated gear for the task at hand. Now you are talking about real high end video cameras. RED is in a totally different league. We are talking about $15-20K or more just for the body. I think the game will get more interesting as time goes by.
01-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #30

I cannot argue the Pentax K1 being absolutely stunning for stills and when invested in Pentax K1 and also having many K mount lenses it is not easy to let it go. And that is normal. But for those who didn;t invest as much, switch is easier. For example I have Pentax k30 and a couple of Pentax autofocus lenses, the rest are legacy lenses. If I need higher end Pentax glass I have a couple of sources to rent them from. I now am looking to do upgrade, cause I now am facing the need for a FF sensor and also I need decent video recording. So it's a headache, if Pentax K1 had decent enough video capabilities, there would be no thinking, I would go with it and that is it. But unfortunately for my needs even Nikon D750 makes a better choice than Pentax K1. I mean speed for documentary style shooting and decent enough video features. That is when accepting a lot of compromises. Now if Sony A7 mk3 would come in similar speed as A99mk2 and video features similar or tiny bit better than a6500, then it is the one tool to strive for. On the other hand, if Pentax K1 had what Fuji XT-2 has for video( and there are lots of compromises, but it is good enough for many projects),then I would go with Pentax K1 any time. I love Pentax.

Of course to have an opportunity to go with RED or Panasonic Varicam or BlackmagicDesign Cinema cameras or Sony F5 would be great, but those are another league and designed for serious productions, while DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras proved to be very usable and good solutions for many video projects that photogs are mostly asked for. Even for independent film making DSLRs proved to be this pretty much perfect tool to go with when on low budget. Not to mention that DSLR form factor proved to have some advantages over dedicated cameras. And I am saying this from personal practical experience.

Anyway, hopefully Pentax will do something about video soon, legacy photographers might not need video at all, but new generations need it.