Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The look well after your K-30 and perhaps stock up on K-30 [or K-50] bodies if you can because I very much doubt there will ever be another Pentax DSLR which will support them.
I certainly hope you are wrong. I'm not too worried about the ongoing availability of K-30/K-50 bodies on the used market.
I hope Pentax gets it right and figures out this is a worthwhile differentiator. It's not always about having the tiniest body.
Especially if you want to add 4K video which tends to require intensive processing and generate heat, a bigger body may be in order which could accomodate AAs. If it needs 5 or 6 of them instead of 4, so be it.

02-16-2017, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I certainly hope you are wrong. I'm not too worried about the ongoing availability of K-30/K-50 bodies on the used market.
I hope Pentax gets it right and figures out this is a worthwhile differentiator. It's not always about having the tiniest body.
Especially if you want to add 4K video which tends to require intensive processing and generate heat, a bigger body may be in order which could accomodate AAs. If it needs 5 or 6 of them instead of 4, so be it.
I understand it won't meet your needs, but Ricoh convinced me to move from a K-30 to a K-1 with the AA battery grip option. I don't always use it, but I won't buy a camera that doesn't at least support AAs.
02-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I understand it won't meet your needs, but Ricoh convinced me to move from a K-30 to a K-1 with the AA battery grip option. I don't always use it, but I won't buy a camera that doesn't at least support AAs.
Well, the K-1 doesn't do anything for video, so it's not really under consideratinon.

I can appreciate the grip option - I had one one my K200D, and I used it once in a while, not all the time.

I have tinier hands than the US president, though, so this is not really suitable for daily use.
02-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, the K-1 doesn't do anything for video, so it's not really under consideratinon.

I can appreciate the grip option - I had one one my K200D, and I used it once in a while, not all the time.

I have tinier hands than the US president, though, so this is not really suitable for daily use.
Yeah, I often lament the video on the K-1. I tried it once and just...garbage. I used the feature on my K-x and K-30, but at this point, I think I might get a dedicated video camera.

02-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Yeah, I often lament the video on the K-1. I tried it once and just...garbage. I used the feature on my K-x and K-30, but at this point, I think I might get a dedicated video camera.
If you only need HD, can I suggest a Sony VG-30 for APSc sensor, and VG-900 for FF sensor.
A mechanical K-to-E mount will set you back less then $20, then all your current lenses with aperture rings can be used

If you want 4K,... everyone elses' Mirrorless bodies are good to go.
02-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
If you only need HD, can I suggest a Sony VG-30 for APSc sensor, and VG-900 for FF sensor.
A mechanical K-to-E mount will set you back less then $20, then all your current lenses with aperture rings can be used

If you want 4K,... everyone elses' Mirrorless bodies are good to go.
The only lenses I have with aperture rings are my FA Limiteds, so I'd be disappointed. Still, I want 4k (as I've described earlier in the thread, I want to be able to crop to 1080p, as I'll be including my self in a lot of shots). I've looked at my options,

Sony A7 series: looks good, I like that they're full-frame. Disappointing that they aren't well weathersealed, so I couldn't move from full-frame Pentax, and I can't afford both systems at once.

Panasonic GH5: almost ideal, but I've read consistent reports that Panasonic's customer service is either awful or non-existent.

Olympus EM1 MkII: not as featureful as the GH series, so I feel like I'm missing out, but their customer service is apparently excellent.

Sony A6500: this looks interesting, my lenses aren't super useful on APS-C, though.
02-20-2017, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

Sony A7 series: looks good, I like that they're full-frame. Disappointing that they aren't well weathersealed, so I couldn't move from full-frame Pentax, and I can't afford both systems at once.
For me, the video is mostly indoor and tripod-based. Full frame really helps indoor. And I don't mind the lack of weathersealing in this situation.
A7 series are reported to overheat for long takes, though ...

QuoteQuote:
Panasonic GH5: almost ideal, but I've read consistent reports that Panasonic's customer service is either awful or non-existent.
There are a lot of horror stories about Sony support as well, unfortunately, even on their expensive cameras. It's really shocking.

02-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #98
CDW
Site Supporter

For me, the video is mostly indoor and tripod-based. Full frame really helps indoor. And I don't mind the lack of weathersealing in this situation.

There are a lot of horror stories about Sony support as well, unfortunately, even on their expensive cameras. It's really shocking.
Most of the camera manufacturers have some issues with customer service, with Canon being the possible exception. If Canon could notch up their sensor performance a bit and add 4K to their mid level DSLRs, I'd probably go back. But I'm perfectly happy with my GH4 for video and casual still shots and my K1.

FWIW, Panasonic is offering a free three year extended warranty on the GH5 if ordered before the end of March from an authorized dealer in the US.
02-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Most of the camera manufacturers have some issues with customer service, with Canon being the possible exception. If Canon could notch up their sensor performance a bit and add 4K to their mid level DSLRs, I'd probably go back. But I'm perfectly happy with my GH4 for video and casual still shots and my K1.

FWIW, Panasonic is offering a free three year extended warranty on the GH5 if ordered before the end of March from an authorized dealer in the US.
The problem is, every review of the GH4 that has included an encounter with customer service has been terrible, not just bad. Having to call back over and over to get an issue resolved, no online repair tracking, charges during the warranty period for issues that weren't related to accidental damage, etc.
02-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #100
Veteran Member

I was shooting a heap of stuff with an A7s for a cooking youtube channel, never saw it overheat - but I was using my K-A and K-M primes, so the camera wasn't having to power the lenses.

For me, it would be a no-brainer, but I have full-manual lenses. 4K with FF is really a Sony Only game at the moment, everything else is s35 (APSc, ish,..) or M4/3 like the GH4 & 5

None of the main Cinema manufacturers seems interested in FF either.
02-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #101
Veteran Member

I was shooting a heap of stuff with an A7s for a cooking youtube channel, never saw it overheat - but I was using my K-A and K-M primes, so the camera wasn't having to power the lenses.
How long were your takes ? I was planning on using the firmware hack that lets you record video indefinitely on the A7 series, and do >30 min takes.

QuoteQuote:
For me, it would be a no-brainer, but I have full-manual lenses. 4K with FF is really a Sony Only game at the moment, everything else is s35 (APSc, ish,..) or M4/3 like the GH4 & 5
I think Nikon is doing 4K FF too on some of their bodies, but very limited in take length, and overheat reports as well.
02-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How long were your takes ? I was planning on using the firmware hack that lets you record video indefinitely on the A7 series, and do >30 min takes.

I think Nikon is doing 4K FF too on some of their bodies, but very limited in take length, and overheat reports as well.
I recall seeing a Magic Lantern hack for 16k video, but it only allowed 8 second takes.
02-22-2017, 02:26 AM   #103
Veteran Member

I recall seeing a Magic Lantern hack for 16k video, but it only allowed 8 second takes.
Not sure - I used Magic Lantern on a T3i - it was great, but did not get around the 30 min recording limit, unfortuntely.

I think 16K video would be insane given that most people barely have a 2K monitor.
An 8K monitor costs $5K ! I haven't even sprung for 4K monitor myself yet - I'm still looking for suitable KVM options for 4K, have not found one, and that is holding me from moving beyond 2560x1600 - my HP LP3065 have a built-in video switch- 3xDL DVI inputs. The newer monitors don't have anything comparable.
02-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #104
Veteran Member

We could have done with that hack....
Segments were recorded from start to finish with the cameras (my K-01 on the second angle) being restarted once or twice each.
These were shot at HD, mostly recorded internally.

We used the same A7s for B-roll on a short film where the main camera was an FS-7, the footage recorded to my Shogun in 4K certainly edited well.

---------- Post added 23-02-17 at 04:13 AM ----------

I'm gonna have to ask some mates about that, sounds fun.

Have shot short films on a mates 550D, which IIRC, is the T3i, with ML installed.
Good little camera, but doesn't have the dynamic range of any comparable Pentax - Where the K-01 is close to 13 stops in stills and video, the Canon is about 11 in stills and 9 in video,... shooting flat in ML, you may eke out another stop, but the K-01 in 'muted' still beats it,... right up until you push it a little too far in Grading, then that lower data rate just has the imagery fall apart.
02-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Have shot short films on a mates 550D, which IIRC, is the T3i, with ML installed.
The 550D is the T2i . 600D is T3i.

QuoteQuote:
Good little camera, but doesn't have the dynamic range of any comparable Pentax - Where the K-01 is close to 13 stops in stills and video, the Canon is about 11 in stills and 9 in video,... shooting flat in ML, you may eke out another stop, but the K-01 in 'muted' still beats it,... right up until you push it a little too far in Grading, then that lower data rate just has the imagery fall apart.
Agree about dynamic range, but ML gets you auto restart (with a break, unfortunately) and you can't get that on any Pentax K. You can get much higher bit rate on Canon with ML also.
Wish those cameras did >8 bit video recording, then there wouldn't be as many problems in grading.