Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2017, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Many thanks, Fries. We know you're a professional, but there are amateurs who have the gear you used and it is said to them that forget about, it is unacceptable, use something else, etc.

20 minute broadcast quality production? Ridiculous! :-P

The timelapse sunset was beautiful.

01-14-2017, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Great montage video. When you don't know what camera was used; you think it's a good video. With regards to folks saying that Pentax is weak in video, most of them have never mounted any video, and they aren't able to explain and describe what is lacking and needed in video. Free criticism against the Pentax brand, just for the sake of criticism.
Perhaps you have never really read or fully understood what those 'critics' have been saying all these years?
I must add that using this thread as an [unnecessary] opportunity to troll [provoke] those who may be critical [of Pentax's video shortfalls] is only doing a disservice to the OP.
01-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I've been doing video for almost 40 years and I want to say that you're exactly right! The v/o should simply compliment everything else. Watch some stories by Steve Hartman and see how well he writes to the holes.
Thanks for confirming that! I've haven't been doing video for as long as you; I am stil a novice with about 3 years experience. I started out as a newspaper journalist, became a radio journalist and now I do video and radio with a bit of writing. I'll definitely will check Harman out as soon as I have some free time on my hands. (I am backing up 1000 photo's for some timelapses right now.)
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
He went a few years ago for the first time since the 75 I think. I loved it and keeps talking about moving.
Nice to hear. But also a bit of a double edged sword I guess. Going to a country you love could result in leaving behind your loved ones...

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Great montage video. When you don't know what camera was used; you think it's a good video. With regards to folks saying that Pentax is weak in video, most of them have never mounted any video, and they aren't able to explain and describe what is lacking and needed in video. Free criticism against the Pentax brand, just for the sake of criticism.
Thanks! I wouldn't phrase it that harsh if you don't mind. It could also be the case that their needs are bigger than mine! But I agree there is somewhat a discrepancy between what the spec sheet tells us a K-3 should be capable of and what is possible applied in a practical way.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Many thanks, Fries. We know you're a professional, but there are amateurs who have the gear you used and it is said to them that forget about, it is unacceptable, use something else, etc.

20 minute broadcast quality production? Ridiculous! :-P

The timelapse sunset was beautiful.
You are most welcome! I was shooting a timelapse in the other way below a low dike when I noticed the colors behind me and switched my setup for the sunset you mentioned. I might be a professional but not a very seasoned one when it comes to video. And if there are improvements to be had that cater to professionals and amateurs alike I would welcome that. Having people requesting features and pointing out weak points can be helpful. But perhaps not in a way that is almost deafening at times and leaves ample room for people with the beginnings of an interest in video wanting to develop that craft with a camera they are already using for photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Perhaps you have never really read or fully understood what those 'critics' have been saying all these years?
I must add that using this thread as an [unnecessary] opportunity to troll [provoke] those who may be critical [of Pentax's video shortfalls] is only doing a disservice to the OP.
I have a thick skin Steve! And to be honest some moderation on both sides of the argument would be most welcome. The shortfalls on the video front with Pentax camera's are well known and have been addressed many times. That does not mean it should stop at all. But if on balance what Pentax should be is mostly addressed and what the camera's already are capable of is overlooked a bit... That unbalance is something I hoped to correct a little bit in a productive way with my post. In that light I do understand it when fellow Pentaxians grow a bit tired of the discussion surrounding Pentax video quality and react accordingly. But a shouting match rarely delivers a clear winner. But I have to confess that I do have a soft spot for somebody making a point interlaced with humor, some (dry) wit and irony.

Last edited by Fries; 01-15-2017 at 03:02 PM.
01-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Enjoyable video, sound quality is excellent - did you use the Mic input on the camera or an external audio recorder ?

One of the big jumps in quality is to get good audio - the K-01 that I use is limited in this way by the sample rate (32kHz ), but the K-3 and K-1 should be much better.

The Zooms looked smooth and well focused.

My own tastes - I'd add a Slider in to your kit, one that can do small, slow moves during the interviews. And on my screen the colour looked a little flat, perhaps a second pass at the colour correction.

As for the Troll-like posts - it's not that you can't get good vision from a Pentax, it's that it should be much better then it is.
It's almost as if Pentax video is up to the standard we had 8 to 10 years ago, not the Cinema Quality of the current DLSR/MILC products.

01-16-2017, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Enjoyable video, sound quality is excellent - did you use the Mic input on the camera or an external audio recorder ?

One of the big jumps in quality is to get good audio - the K-01 that I use is limited in this way by the sample rate (32kHz ), but the K-3 and K-1 should be much better.

The Zooms looked smooth and well focused.

My own tastes - I'd add a Slider in to your kit, one that can do small, slow moves during the interviews. And on my screen the colour looked a little flat, perhaps a second pass at the colour correction.

As for the Troll-like posts - it's not that you can't get good vision from a Pentax, it's that it should be much better then it is.
It's almost as if Pentax video is up to the standard we had 8 to 10 years ago, not the Cinema Quality of the current DLSR/MILC products.
Thanks for watching and you evaluation! I fully agree with you about the importance of good audio. I bought a Røde Stereo VideoMic Pro some time ago for some projects outside my day job and just use Mic input on the camera. I use it for set noise in combination with an external mic for interviews (Nagra for the day job and iPhone with Røde for other projects). With the feature in this topic I opted for a lavalier style wireless audio. I just used it for the first time in combination with the K-3 and it works. Not having a third or fourth audio channel with the set noise as a backup for the interview is a bit risky because you have nothing to fall back on if something happens to the sound of the interview. If I am asked to do this kind of stuff more, I should invest in an external recorder and yes, perhaps a slider! (Thanks for the tip!) But using and investing in privet equipment whit out any compensation apart from my normal pay as a employé is a bit of tricky way ahead.

The Zooms were done with the Sony PMW100... And the material will be edited again to some degree to prep it for broadcasting on national tv including the extra material I shot this weekend (all with the K-3). They will no doubt revisit the color grading to some extend. You are right that not all is well in Pentax videoland. And with your background and experience you have pressed that point in a balanced way. My only concern is that the argument for Pentax lacking on this front is made so forcefully that it will discourage owners of Pentax cameras to use the video abilities of their camera's. Thus taking away an important incentive for Pentax and Ricoh to develop that side of their business.

And it is a pet peeve of mine that I don't like the use of the term 'troll' that much. Sure there are people that are deserving of that 'title' but it shuts down a conversation whilst making it more difficult for the 'troll' to remedy the wrong turn he (they are most men) took in a particular argument. Not reacting, using humor (ore reporting it) are alternative ways to deal with people behaving badly.

Last edited by Fries; 01-19-2017 at 01:31 PM.