Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...you meanie...
I know it's heartless, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

01-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's his right to post images from non-Pentax cameras in the non-Pentax forum. There's a place for it. This isn't the place. IMHO. This is the place for folks using Petax gear to take their videos.

I should have the right to be able to avoid non-Pentax posts, when I choose not to see them.
So what's it going to be, his rights or mine?

Clearly, the "any excuse to post your non-Pentax gear posts in the Pentax section of the forum" is in this case being upheld by mods (unless this is all so trivial they don't care, a definite possibility.) My only response could be possibly starting to post Pentax images in the non-Pentax section of the forum, which to this point I've politely ignored.

Maybe I'll get really radical and post some ƒ1.4 images in the ƒ1.2 only thread.

Since I've now given them a heads up, I'll have to be really subversive and use my SMC 50 1.4 which doesn't relay exif data, and claim it's 1.2.

Just letting you know... I'm prepared to retaliate against innocents.
I don't know why you aren't letting this go, what do you care?
In any case I firmly believe you are wrong.
This sub forum occupies the Photography category which also includes non-Pentax specific forums.

Why even read this thread if you aren't interested in the topic? Plenty of other threads to read.
No, you just wanted to pollute this one with your hostile attitude just because you can. Shame on you.
01-31-2017, 02:12 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I don't know why you aren't letting this go, what do you care?
In any case I firmly believe you are wrong.
This sub forum occupies the Photography category which also includes non-Pentax specific forums.

Why even read this thread if you aren't interested in the topic? Plenty of other threads to read.
No, you just wanted to pollute this one with your hostile attitude just because you can. Shame on you.
Touchy are we?

Oh and I'm hanging around the thread because something interesting might be posted. The same reason most people hang around most threads.

YOu have a problem with that, or do you think god gave you the authority to decide who posts in these threads and what they post?

My argument wasn't with the thread, but the title with "4k video" and "Pentax HDSLRs" in the same title, when there aren't any.

Great to know you're cool with that, although I find it disingenuous myself. Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by normhead; 01-31-2017 at 02:20 PM.
01-31-2017, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
  1. The video obviously (so everyone can see it) could not be done using an average smartphone with 4k recording capability (which otherwise is much more convenient).
This point to me shows a common and somewhat fundamental misunderstanding of video on DSLR's.
Resolution is so unimportant in a lot of ways, but it's part of the mega pixel type war/race and marketing love it.

Nearly all of the same aspects that apply to stills photography apply to video as well, (in terms of core composition, depth of field, exposure and then image development such as sharpening, vignette, colour manipulation etc)
Resolution is simply the number of pixels that make up that image.

4K on a Pentax right now would be high resolution mush. Fine for static shots, but quickly turning to a pixelated mess if a lot was happening in the scene. It will need to happen at some stage, as 4K is not far off being the standard of today, but Pentax really need to sort their fundamentals first, walking before they try to run.

If you can answer your questions above in terms of photography, then you can answer them in terms of video.
Specifically, why do you need a Pentax DSLR over a cellphone for your photos?

01-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Touchy are we? .
No, but I'd say you are, after all you began.
I'm just responding to your authoritarian stance that this thread doesn't belong here. Can't understand why you even care.

I'll not mention it again. Peace?
02-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I feel certain Ricoh has no interest in it, but I wonder if it would help or hurt Pentax's video reputation if they started a video version of the PPG?
02-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #37
Pentaxian

For people who shoot 4k video with their iPad pro but otherwise shoot Pentax?

I was in Canadian Tire yesterday and saw 4k video televisions with wifi for around $300 U.S. Not just for rich people anymore.

02-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #38

in the years when everything is turning to 4K and 8k technologies already are introduced, it would be a shame for a camera manufacturer to not offer a decent 4K video when a mid level cellphone can offer decent 4K video. Industry changed and it keeps advancing, so either the one offers something incredible and exceptional for the price or go with the industry and offer what now is considered a standard, meaning a DSLR is expected to be able to shoot video and the more time goes, the more 4k will be standard, we already are seeing hints of 6k and 8k coming to video oriented cameras. it won;t be that long for 4K to be considered a standard resolution while 8k will be high definition and what today we call high definition will be low definition. Canon tried to slow down the expectations of 4k videography in DSLRs, but Sony and Panasonic pushed the train so well it is hardly to be stopped. DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras found quite a huge market in video department. New generation expects a DSLR or Mirrorless camera to shoot good quality video. It is a natural evolution. Yes there are cinema cameras and they will be, but DSLRs are already used even for filming featured high end movies, their form factor found its uses and advantages. But there are more uses than that, video blogs, independent film making, you name it. which ever company was first to introduce video in a DSLR changed the whole industry in an unstoppable way. Today a camera that doesn;t shoot video is considered for a niche market. Expectations are getting higher and higher every day. Want it or not Ricoh Pentax is also getting these expectations.
02-02-2017, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

That is one pile of unsupported assumptions you've put together there.

We have a 4k monitor at home. However without meaningful 4k content, there is really no need for it. When there starts being 4k content that I actually might watch, I will consider buying a 4k playback device. Right now, there isn't. And my home videos I rarely watch more than a few times.

Listen, I'd love to see some awesome 4k video, and I know film makers are starting to make them. The guy who shot the wolf video for Algoqnuin Park was back in the park a few weeks ago, with a 1200mm lens and movie rig, shooting 4k for the next update of the parks educational video. And in situations like that I can see the advantage. For 50 inch and over screens 4k makes sense. But for folks like myself. with my 4k on a 21.5 inch monitor, my 27 inch 2650 x 1440 monitor looks better.

The funny thing to me is that even though this guy is making the next video in 4k, the park has no 4k display capability, Fantasy is amazing, reality sucks,

Is there even a 4k projection system out there for the park to buy when their new video is done?

Last edited by normhead; 02-02-2017 at 08:41 AM.
02-02-2017, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

He's probably shooting 4K to future-proof his video as much as possible, not so it can be displayed in 4k right now. One of my co-workers has been out several times trying to get eagles wintering here, but has struck out so he's having to use standard definition footage in his story because that's all we've got. Sometimes footage lives several decades.
02-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Geez, so you're basically saying normhead that Pentax shouldn't provide 4K because you don't watch your own home videos? Your argument about a lack of 4K footage is so flawed, we're you're using it to suggest Pentax shouldn't offer 4K, which would in turn provide you with some content... This whole discussion mimics the move from DVD SD Resolution to Bluray at Full HD. The content will come. Netflix and YouTube already offer 4K streaming options, for suitable source content.

Within a few years, 4K will become the standard target on most cameras. The list is already pretty long.
ALL 4K DSLR Digital Cameras

Also shooting in 4K allows all the noise reduction benefits you get by down scaling back to Full HD afterwards, and it allows you to crop your footage precisely in post, without loss of quality when outputting at 1080/Full HD, and it gives you wiggle room for stabilisation in post, again without loss of quality. So several benefits, including future proofing the footage for eventual 4K use, that don't require a 4K display device now.

As before though, just producing 4K won't improve most of the issues with Pentax's video offering. Resolution is one part, but right now many would be happy with Full HD if Pentax addressed the other issues pointed out in my earlier posts. 4K is so not at the top of my list for required video developments presently.
02-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Geez, so you're basically saying normhead that Pentax shouldn't provide 4K because you don't watch your own home videos?
Is that your contribution to the conversation? What a knob.
If you can't make a point without putting words in my mouth, you don't have a point.

What I'm saying is pentax has pretty much defined themselves as a non-video company. Those of us who have bought into he brand have done so despite their lack of video, and for that reason, Pentax has little to gain from their existing user base by adding video, and little chance of catching up with folks who have much better implementations of 4k already.

That's what I'm saying, for those having trouble comprehending, I'll be happy to discuss that moving forward. But if you want to pretend I said something and then argue with it feel free. It's your bandwidth. But also expect I'm going to call you out for misrepresenting me. Use my name, live with my corrections.

I Know what I think, and that's not it.

Maybe just leave what you think I think out of it.

You've proved yourself unreliable at seeing where I'm going with this.

Last edited by normhead; 02-02-2017 at 12:42 PM.
02-02-2017, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

pentax has pretty much defined themselves as a non-video company.
No, they haven't.

Every Pentax DSLR since the K-x / K-7 in 2009 has had video capabilities. They were one of the first to offer sensor stabilisation during video.
Since 2012 though they haven't done anything significant to the core video capabilities*, and I'm saying they are overdue to refresh this base video spec.
(* K-70 was the latest big move, where they've implemented continuous autofocus during video mode, with some lenses)

The Nikon DF and something like the Leica M-D are the only digital cameras I know of which can lay claim to being actively non-video, as they contain no video modes at all.

I'd have to test my Google skills, but I believe Fuji and Olympus were the two companies which actively took the position of being non video focussed.
From memory they openly said, if you want video, go and buy a Panasonic.
However, fast forward a few years and they've both upped their video game considerably, leaving Pentax not as a non video company, but simply as the worst at video.
I think that's quite an important distinction.

So once again, I personally don't think 4K is as important to Pentax as sorting out their core video offering first.
This includes returning mechanical stabilisation, enabling focus peaking to work during video capture, providing a clean hdmi output and updating their bit rates from 18 Mb/s, which was acceptable 5 years ago.

Last edited by richandfleur; 02-02-2017 at 02:56 PM.
02-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #44
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Some recent posts in this thread contain unnecessary inflammatory remarks as well as humourous comments taken too seriously, and some unacceptable personal comments thrown in for good measure.

Rather than pick through all the posts, delete the bits that weren't necessary and issue warnings, I ask you to draw a close to the argument from hereon in. My only other alternative is to close the thread.

Thanks in advance
02-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Some recent posts in this thread contain unnecessary inflammatory remarks as well as humourous comments taken too seriously, and some unacceptable personal comments thrown in for good measure.

Rather than pick through all the posts, delete the bits that weren't necessary and issue warnings, I ask you to draw a close to the argument from hereon in. My only other alternative is to close the thread.

Thanks in advance

Apologies, am checking out now.