Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2017, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
4K isn't going away...but 1080p TVs are.

4K capable cameras are expanding....CaNikOny...Oly/Fuji..have all recently incorportated into some models.

Panasonic offer it in p/s and the last 7 ILC models.

Ricoh offers it in an action cam!

02-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
4K isn't going away...but 1080p TVs are.

4K capable cameras are expanding....CaNikOny...Oly/Fuji..have all recently incorportated into some models.

Panasonic offer it in p/s and the last 7 ILC models.

Ricoh offers it in an action cam!
4K is so yesterday. I believe 8K is the next big thing.
02-07-2017, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
4K is so yesterday. I believe 8K is the next big thing.
Yes definitely, like all tech....when its released the work on the next level has well and truly started( except in Ricohs case for video)

8K is planned for the GH6 in 2020...Panasonic have stated this....the GH5 is released next month and its known capabilities(once firmwares updated) are top of the tree for the $$ outlay..What will be interesting is how good the still images will be?
02-07-2017, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do wonder how expensive it would be to have a Pentax SLR that had decent 4K video. Or, for that matter, just better Codecs and mechanical SR on current models. It seems like a lot of this would just a matter of licensing software from another company that does this already. Not like you would have to develop it in house. I know everyone hates to "pay" for features they don't use, but I question if it would add more than 15 or 20 dollars a camera -- particularly if R and D was spread out over all new Pentax models.

Assuming current sensors are 4K compatible (most are) this is a software issue and could be developed -- if Pentax saw it as something worthwhile. At the least, it would check a box on some of these review sites that just regurgitate feature lists for various cameras.

02-08-2017, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Although as a characteristic, I've notice people seem to thing the 4k videos would be free.
Will, that's just silly,... Sale Competitive Marketing would show that just matching the same minimum specifications for other brands and models, will dictate Pentax needing to include 4K video At The Same Price Point, within the next few months, regardless of whether the Current user base will need or use it.
New Sales determine whether a company continues to exist, and Growing the number of New Owners determines whether the company is going to grow, or die.

---------- Post added 08-02-17 at 06:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
8K is planned for the GH6 in 2020...Panasonic have stated this....the GH5 is released next month and its known capabilities(once firmwares updated) are top of the tree for the $$ outlay..What will be interesting is how good the still images will be?
Images from Pre-Production units with beta firmware are already the equal or better then GH-4 imagery.

---------- Post added 08-02-17 at 06:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Or maybe you just forgot to count.
You impugn my honour sir, would you prefer pistols or swords at dawn.
( Wait, I need a white glove to toss on the ground,.. there's one around here somewhere,... )

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 02-08-2017 at 12:24 AM.
02-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Hi:

I have never seen a meaningful, well-worded poll on PF. In many cases they do not have enough choices, much less my answer. I don't even look at them any more.

I have seen 4K vs 1080 video (and 4k TV) and the difference is noticeable. If I was doing video I would get a dedicated video camera.

Bye!
02-08-2017, 01:14 AM   #97
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
You impugn my honour sir, would you prefer pistols or swords at dawn.
( Wait, I need a white glove to toss on the ground,.. there's one around here somewhere,... )
LOL

There are times when I think we should return to talking like this... Disagreement and courtesy all wrapped up in one

And the prospect of duelling would keep any arguments around here under control...
02-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good thing that custom is no more. I would need a steady supply of white gloves.

02-10-2017, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #99
Pentaxian

You guys do realize, that as a Cinematographer, I keep a constant aim on my subject,... as does the B-roll team

So the glove just means I've tagged the location for the drone gun-ship

The one with the Yi 4K camera, though I might up that to Yi 4K+, for the 4K @ 60fps, with gyro and accelerometer based stabilisation with a ribcage for C-mount, and the m4/3 equipped Yi M1 once they get manual controls sorted in video - they're only a few steps behind the GH4,... and I can use my Pentax glass in the GH4 already.

Of course, it doesn't have IBIS, but then again, neither does any Pentax since the K-5, maybe it's a GH5 for me then, y'know, so I can make use of DSLR lenses and compact size, and hook up my Shogun to record from the HDMI.

Of course, I'd prefer to stay with a Pentax body, and especially APSc sized sensors, but if they won't listen to feedback from cinematographers and videographers and enable the features they used to have, or make those features available on new models, I'll just have to buy something else, and recommend others do the same.

Pentax need to recognise, they either do video properly, or loose sales to companies like Xiaomi Yi, who do listen to customer feedback, and write regular firmware updates according to customer feedback.
02-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #100
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax need to recognise, they either do video properly, or loose sales to companies like Xiaomi Yi, who do listen to customer feedback, and write regular firmware updates according to customer feedback.
Let's hope Xiaomi Yi listens to feedback from the reviews on the Yi M1, then... especially for stills work. It got absolutely slated for poor AF performance, and the UI isn't so great, with common functions hidden in menus. Shame, really, as it looks like it could be a good entry-level m43 camera. Xiaomi seems to be a company on the up, though...
02-10-2017, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #101
Pentaxian

Replying to a deleted post,.... or one that's not showing up at this end.

---Quote (Originally by PiDicus Rex)---
---End Quote---

"Let's hope Xiaomi Yi listens to feedback from the reviews on the Yi M1, then... especially for stills work. It got absolutely slated for AF performance, and the UI is apparently so-so, with common functions hidden in menus. Shame, really, as it looks like it could be a good entry-level m43 camera. Xiaomi seems to be a company on the up, though...
"

Yes Mack, they are, which is good as it shakes up the established players, and leads to new ideas and products. We all get to benefit from that

As for Yi, the number of changes they've made to the Yi4K since launch, and specifically the number that match requests made through their official facebook, and over on the dashcamtalk forum, indicate a corporate mindset of listening to the customers - that's something Canon and Pentax really need to start doing, and which Sony is dragging it's feet at.
02-11-2017, 01:44 AM   #102
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Replying to a deleted post,.... or one that's not showing up at this end.
I've undeleted that post now, since you'd replied to it

The reason I deleted it is that I subsequently found a recent video on YouTube showing the Yi M1 autofocus following a firmware update. It now looks very good. Clearly that's in response to feedback.

I agree, other manufacturers need to be much hotter on firmware updates - not just for bug fixes, but improving features and adding new ones. Pentax seems to be getting a tiny bit better - for example, the addition of KAF4 compatibility to the K-3 and some other legacy models - but they need to do more. Sony haven't been great either, as you say... It took them a long time to add lossless RAW to the A7II and other recent models - and it's poorly implemented, with entirely uncompressed files that are unnecessarily large...

I don't know what the other mainstream manufacturers are like, but I'm guessing they're not a whole lot better than Pentax and Sony.

So yes - Xiaomi Yi seem to be shaking things up

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-11-2017 at 01:52 AM.
02-11-2017, 04:19 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Canon and Sony have a history of trying to block firmware hacks, such as Magic Lantern, or the F-5's 4K recording.

Panasonic are a little slower then Nikon, but both listen to the customer feedback.

Yi have taken a different tack, providing reps to different forums to answer customer requests, which leads to their products evolving faster.
02-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My son just started a retail Lacrosse gear business. Social media marketing (YouTube) is critical, as is in-store video.

I offered him my K-3 and a new PLM DA 55~300 lens free. Nope. He literally said, "Dad - everyone knows Pentax doesn't do video". (FWIW, my daughter is a Network News Producer - she was his information source).

He bought a D-70 and EF 24~105/4L IS HSM II. He figures the lens is forever and he'll upgrade the body later.

My heavens. He turned down a free camera and lens and spent $1,600 just to do YouTube and Snapchat, and in-store 42" monitors.
Then your son finds out that youtube compresses video and you can't tell the difference anyways

Live and learn but that's just foolish.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-28-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Profanity removed.
03-02-2017, 12:18 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Then your son finds out that youtube compresses video and you can't tell the difference anyways
Someone missed the last part of the sentence he was rebutting

Youtube gets the view counts, Vimeo gets better quality.