Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've undeleted that post now, since you'd replied to it

The reason I deleted it is that I subsequently found a recent video on YouTube showing the Yi M1 autofocus following a firmware update. It now looks very good. Clearly that's in response to feedback.

I agree, other manufacturers need to be much hotter on firmware updates - not just for bug fixes, but improving features and adding new ones. Pentax seems to be getting a tiny bit better - for example, the addition of KAF4 compatibility to the K-3 and some other legacy models - but they need to do more. Sony haven't been great either, as you say... It took them a long time to add lossless RAW to the A7II and other recent models - and it's poorly implemented, with entirely uncompressed files that are unnecessarily large...

I don't know what the other mainstream manufacturers are like, but I'm guessing they're not a whole lot better than Pentax and Sony.

So yes - Xiaomi Yi seem to be shaking things up
The kind of updates that Pentax does are more related to enabling users to buy new hardware when they still have old cameras. It's directly related to their bottom line.

Yeah, it was foolish of monochrome's son to reject the camera, especially for a _D70_, when at least he should have gotten himself a Panasonic GX80 kit which does significantly better video than anything Nikon currently has (except for the D850 perhaps), and costs a fraction of what he has spent. Or just go with Pentax, because on a tripod Pentax is actually pretty good, if you don't need 4K (and he doesn't).

As for 4K videos...
Most of it was shot before the Cinelike-D hack was made public, so dynamic range is a bit limited.

I also have some pretty good looking (and sounding) concert footage, but unfortunately the drummer during that concert pulled the videos.