Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doc style short video

I've already posted this in another thread, but I'm legitimately interested in feedback, so I thought I would make a proper post in the proper sub-forum. Warning, this is a slightly political video, so don't watch it if you don't want to, but I'm more concerned about feedback about my editing!

Thanks in advance

02-07-2017, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Overall...a really nice job. However....I think you could cut the build-up in half and still get the same effect. The shot of the baby is really strong, but I'd make the edit shortly after it looks into the camera. That eye-contact is a big thing.
02-08-2017, 03:59 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Awesome, thanks
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think you could cut the build-up in half and still get the same effect
Buildup meaning from where to where?
02-08-2017, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Down to where Trump is taking the oath of office. I'm not sure how you could shorten the oath, but by the time you get through the oath, you're almost halfway into your video. That feels too long to me. People have short attention spans these days so you've got to get into what you're wanting to say fairly quickly or you risk them not getting to the real meat of your video, ya know? I think I'd try using the first part where the young man is listening to the podcast (or whatever it is he's listening to) down to where it says, "We need you." That's the call to action so it's a good place to change. Then go to your environmental shots (which I liked a lot) and let the announce continue under that. Show the beauty of nature while you're hearing Sanders talk about his concerns about Trump not protecting the environment. I'd keep the music you've got going under the nature shots. I'd just mix Sanders in with that. You might also try dissolves between the shots of the man raking leaves and see how that feels to you. It might help convey that he's weighing what to do as he goes about his daily life. Or not. lol It's just something to try. I like the car door slam as a transition, btw. It says, "Okay...I'm going" and takes you into the more up-tempo footage of the rally. Btw, whenever I have to chop up one of my pieces, I always do it on a duplicate copy of the sequence so that if my changes don't pan out, I can always ditch that revised sequence and go back to my original. One of my favorite movie quotes is from "Little Big Man" where Chief Dan George says, "Sometimes the magic works...and sometimes it doesn't". Also, keep in mind that all of this stuff is very subjective. I've told you the parts I'd think about changing, but it's not my video...it's yours. Do what feels right to you. Good luck!

02-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Down to where Trump is taking the oath of office. I'm not sure how you could shorten the oath, but by the time you get through the oath, you're almost halfway into your video. That feels too long to me. People have short attention spans these days so you've got to get into what you're wanting to say fairly quickly or you risk them not getting to the real meat of your video, ya know?
Gotcha

young man is listening to the podcast (or whatever it is he's listening to)
That's me! It's a phone conference.

Then go to your environmental shots (which I liked a lot) and let the announce continue under that. Show the beauty of nature while you're hearing Sanders talk about his concerns about Trump not protecting the environment. I'd keep the music you've got going under the nature shots. I'd just mix Sanders in with that.
Ooh, nice idea, I like it!

Thanks! I'm not really changing this video, but the feedback is awesome for anything in the future.