Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Can't adjust microphone audio low enough

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi I just got this lav mic:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058MJX4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?t...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

for some video work, and unfortunately I can't seem to set the audio adjustments LOW enough to make this thing usable, it just clips like crazy... This is more than a little irritating and I can't think of a solution.

02-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is that this will solve the problem:

https://www.amazon.com/Sescom-LN2MIC-ZOOMH4N-Microphone-Attenuation-Cameras/...ntaxforums-20&
02-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Holy crap that price. i guess I'm not doing any video work any time soon, spent all the extra cash I had on this mic and the extension cable

Thanks for the info though.
02-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, pad it... or better yet, buy a proper external recorder as soon as you can if you're serious about video.

02-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a cheaper equivalent on eBay that looks reasonable enough:

Movo MV-RC100 3.5mm Line-to-Microphone Attenuator Cable for HDSLR Cameras | eBay
02-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There's a cheaper equivalent on eBay that looks reasonable enough:

Movo MV-RC100 3.5mm Line-to-Microphone Attenuator Cable for HDSLR Cameras | eBay
That one drops the signal -35db vs. -25db for the Amazon one. Either one may work it isn't clear which adjustment level is required but I would bet both can be made to function.
02-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That one drops the signal -35db vs. -25db for the Amazon one. Either one may work it isn't clear which adjustment level is required but I would bet both can be made to function.
That's a lot of attenuation... I'd research this thing a bit more before purchasing either one... mics with built-in pads usually only have -10dB...

02-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That's a lot of attenuation... I'd research this thing a bit more before purchasing either one... mics with built-in pads usually only have -10dB...

The first one listed (amazon) makes the claim that the DSLR's need a lower input than the typical -10 used with line level input gear. Thus the -25 (15 db lower than normal). -35 is even larger and seems excessive to me.
02-28-2017, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The first one listed (amazon) makes the claim that the DSLR's need a lower input than the typical -10 used with line level input gear. Thus the -25 (15 db lower than normal). -35 is even larger and seems excessive to me.
The lavalier mic the OP bought is a mic, and shouldn't be able to produce line level signals, should be much lower...
However I've always found it illogic to buy a cool mic that produces a nice strong signal, then pad it, and finally amplify it again with questionable DSPs as those inside a camera (and then normalize it again in post)...
02-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The lavalier mic the OP bought is a mic, and shouldn't be able to produce line level signals, should be much lower...
However I've always found it illogic to buy a cool mic that produces a nice strong signal, then pad it, and finally amplify it again with questionable DSPs as those inside a camera (and then normalize it again in post)...

I'm being loose with terms. Not Line level as in high level (Tape output) but line recording level for expected input on a studio mic. The mic he listed is actually powered which was a surprise to me.

In any case I'm out of my depth.
02-28-2017, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it's probably the mic preamp in the camera "brickwalling". An attenuator should fix it.
Here's one with variable attenuation from a place I used to buy audio gear from when I used to record live music in the 90's.
USB Microphone, Binaural microphone, stereo Microphone, Wireless Microphone, Digital Recorder, Custom Cables and more at Rock Bottom Prices from The Sound Professionals - Great deals on Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Cable and more!

They have a bunch of different ones including one that has a headphone monitor built in which could be handy.
02-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Yes, it's probably the mic preamp in the camera "brickwalling". An attenuator should fix it.
Here's one with variable attenuation from a place I used to buy audio gear from when I used to record live music in the 90's.
USB Microphone, Binaural microphone, stereo Microphone, Wireless Microphone, Digital Recorder, Custom Cables and more at Rock Bottom Prices from The Sound Professionals - Great deals on Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Cable and more!

They have a bunch of different ones including one that has a headphone monitor built in which could be handy.

wow yah that's actually nifty, might save up for that since it's kind of annoying to keep checking audio levels with test recordings.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
03-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
for some video work, and unfortunately I can't seem to set the audio adjustments LOW enough to make this thing usable, it just clips like crazy...
I'll ask the obvious, just to make sure it's been asked,...

I'm wondering if you lowered the Internal Mic level, instead of the External mic level.
03-08-2017, 06:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I'll ask the obvious, just to make sure it's been asked,...

I'm wondering if you lowered the Internal Mic level, instead of the External mic level.
I turned the internal mic off

But yeah I could see how someone could make this mistake
03-12-2017, 05:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

When you plug in a mic, if you hit the info button and arrows over to the mic icon, the dial wheel will alter the input level of the currently active mic.
I checked this the other night to make sure