03-25-2017, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrmentera Quote
But I meant the low score for a7s II!
Low is bad.
a7s II has also only 12 mpix.
I think he is saying that as a still camera, after you resample sensors with larger numbers of megapixels, they probably have pretty similar dynamic range and SNR (certainly the SNR curves lie right over top of each other on the link you posted). However when it comes to shooting video, the results will be different. As far as I know, when you shoot video with a modern ILC, I think a lot of the information is getting pitched. Best image quality would be to bin several pixels together on a sensor with larger numbers of pixels and improve iso and dynamic range in video as the result, but I don't think this is what happens. But since the A7s II has bigger pixels the process of shooting 4K video is a much more simple process and produces significantly better results than older sensors. But DXO Mark doesn't test that on their graphs.

03-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Video is a series of 'stills'..

---------- Post added 03-25-2017 at 10:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
However when it comes to shooting video, the results will be different.

Rather confusing..

Last edited by mrmentera; 03-25-2017 at 02:16 PM.
03-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Rather confusing..
Video a series of 2.07mp stills/frames (2,073,600 pixels ) for 1920x1080 HD video.

btw: This discussion has nothing to do with SR Firmware, probably best to get back on topic
03-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rather confusing..
See what Steve said. Video is a series of 2 megapixel images or in the case of 4K 8 megapixels. But how do you get from 24 or 36 megapixels down there is the problem. If you got a full raw image and could process each individually to get maximal dynamic range and noise performance, that would of course be optimal, but the camera just ends up pitching out a bunch of information on its way to creating video.

03-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

But I meant the low score for a7s II! Low is bad. a7s II has also only 12 mpix.
Same reasons - the score is for the Stills performance, when it's the Video version of the A7 series.

In video, it kicks so much butt it should be a footballer.

And going back OT,... The A7s2 has the advantage of five-axis stabilization in video, plus 4K recording and 4K HDMI.

Iff the hdmi hardware supports 4K output in the KP and K-1, they would not need to record internally at the same time to satisfy us Cinematographer types - we'd use devices like the Atomos Shogun to record to a much more edit-orientated CoDec (ProRes or DNxHD).

Fixing the SR and the HDMI, WILL sell cameras.
03-28-2017, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, I understand now. Stills and video ARE very different things when it comes to a cameras level of performance, as I suspected. And I hope that Pentax throw in some more improvements in firmware than the mechanical SR. April is soon now...
03-29-2017, 02:44 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys!
Your answers really shed light over the subject for me. I draw the conclusion that videoquality is probably going to evolve much more and faster than the iq for stills, due to faster processors that work on the data from sensors with more 40 mpix and more. 40 mpix gives 5 pixels to every singel 4K-pixel. Adding the data in the right way will improve dynamic and snr.
And due to better SR of course! To go back to the original topic..

Am I right?

03-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Firmware update for shake reduktion in videomode. K-1 and KP.
Getting a K1 and asking for mechanical video SR, is like getting married with a woman you don't like and asking her to change to your taste. That's plain wrong.
03-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Getting a K1 and asking for mechanical video SR, is like getting married with a woman you don't like and asking her to change to your taste. That's plain wrong.
But, I might like parts of her much!
Besides, I wasn´t asking. They throw it at us. It will be useful for many...I think. So why not? And if we get a good HDMI, it´s not so much more to ask for. Excellent camera for stills, and quite ok for video.

Last edited by mrmentera; 03-31-2017 at 03:52 AM.
04-02-2017, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
And that's just Troll-ing for an argument.

We're not asking her to change from something she and her Aunts have never been, we're asking her Dad to let her be all she's capable of being, rather then being limited to the narrow views of Luddites.

Edit,... Come to think of it, the Luddies want to oppress her, where the Video-shooters want to pay for her tuition in college,..

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-04-2017 at 02:24 AM.
04-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
It seems we have to wait a little longer.
I hope they dont changed their mind.

Pentax K-1 Firmware v1.41 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com
04-23-2017, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Perhaps we need an organised social media campaign, that replies with questions about this and other video firmware needs, on any official announcement posts.
05-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Unless there is a technical reason preventing it, I feel Pentax should be allowing a mechanical stabilisation menu option (maybe off by default?) in the K-3 range as well.

It shouldn't be limited to just the newer models, having openly admitted that they've been actively limiting their models capabilities for years now. The K-3 has mic in/headphone out options, so is therefore quite video orientated.

I said this at the time of the announcement, but I'll believe it when I see it from Pentax. They aren't exactly known for their new feature packed Firmware updates...
05-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

05-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #30
Pentaxian

OLYooooop!