Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2017, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Fixing the SR and the HDMI, WILL sell cameras.
i'd buy a k1 instantly. now i might revert to nikon for video..

05-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
i'd buy a k1 instantly
Good idea, go and give it a test run....its worth it!

i might revert to nikon for video..

There are better options, just view Youtube and you will find out.
05-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agree Steve, although Pentax were stupid enough to go an say they were working on it, thus reviving the conversation...
02-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
Still no firmware with sr in videmode or better hdmi for K-1 and KP and here comes K-1 II also without those functions.
So what do you think, guys. Will it just appear on the next high-end aps-c? Along with 1080p 60fps and even 4K? Aps-c/super 35 seems to be a more attractive format for video also.

02-22-2018, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

K-1 update is a few improvements, along the likes of the K-3 ii

It's not the next new camera from Pentax.

And the K-1 just isn't targeted at sports/tracking AF/video, so I'm not surprised or particularly worried about that particular upgrade.
02-22-2018, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
K-1 update is a few improvements, along the likes of the K-3 ii

It's not the next new camera from Pentax.

And the K-1 just isn't targeted at sports/tracking AF/video, so I'm not surprised or particularly worried about that particular upgrade.
I agree with this. The K1 II is not surprising. It's just about reviving a bit. I am expecting a lot from the next apsc model though. specifically AF and video area.
I think you can forget 4k though..
02-22-2018, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

I am expecting a lot from the next apsc model though. specifically AF and video area.
I think you can forget 4k though..
Actually I think they may jump on the 4K bandwagon, but without dealing to the underlying issues first.

So expect to see a higher resolution version of a low bitrate video with craptastic warping SR rather than real IBIS, and that still crops in when you turn the SR off, and where the focus peaking stops working once you start recording...

02-22-2018, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Looking at the sample shots, the K-1 and the K-1ii, would both make excellent video platforms, if a damn was given about writing decent firmware.

The hardware looks to be capable of a lot more then it's currently performing.
03-31-2021, 12:23 PM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrmentera Quote
Still no firmware with sr in videmode or better hdmi for K-1 and KP and here comes K-1 II also without those functions.
So what do you think, guys. Will it just appear on the next high-end aps-c? Along with 1080p 60fps and even 4K? Aps-c/super 35 seems to be a more attractive format for video also.
I quote myself and answer myself with a quote from todays initial review of K-3 Mark III in Dpreview.
Finally!

"Ricoh says the new IS system is quiet enough to be used during video capture, meaning the K-3 III is able to offer 3-axis (Roll, pitch and yaw) correction using mechanical stabilization, rather than the digital IS used in previous models."

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-3-mark-iii-initial-review?fbclid=I...qDEFQSTMbDjxFM
05-16-2021, 12:03 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmentera Quote
I quote myself and answer myself with a quote from todays initial review of K-3 Mark III in Dpreview.
Finally!

"Ricoh says the new IS system is quiet enough to be used during video capture, meaning the K-3 III is able to offer 3-axis (Roll, pitch and yaw) correction using mechanical stabilization, rather than the digital IS used in previous models."

Pentax K-3 Mark III initial review: Digital Photography Review
It was always "quiet enough", as proper video production has the sound recorded by a seperate person on an Audio Recorder, away from the camera handling noises, which as always louder then the internals.
Expect the K-3iii to only have Mic Level input on the socket, not switchable to Line Level, as used for feeds from the Audio Recorder to the Camera.
09-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #41
Pentaxian

A firmware update to offer mechanical stabilisation to K-1 and K-P never came right?

I had high hopes for this since the K-01/K-30 era 10 years ago took it away.
09-23-2021, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
A firmware update to offer mechanical stabilisation to K-1 and K-P never came right?

I had high hopes for this since the K-01/K-30 era 10 years ago took it away.
Reintroduced on the K-3 III, Rich!
09-24-2021, 01:08 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Reintroduced on the K-3 III, Rich!
Yeah I see that, that’s good news.

Sadly never came to older (last 10years) hardware via firmware update.

Glad to see it back. Sadly during that time it’s now available on many other brands, so these things are no longer Pentax only special features.

Taken on K-3 recently. Hand held and stabilised in post, thought I'd share.

Last edited by richandfleur; 09-24-2021 at 01:17 AM.
09-26-2021, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

What's most annoying, is that it is in the bodies - it works in Live View for Stills - all it would be is code to activate it in video.

It has been a stupid move in sales, to give the competition 10 years advantage on a feature that Pentax brought to market first, when they had a whole seven years lead that they could have been marketing as the Only DSLR maker with that feature in video.

Botching up the HDMI was just as bad, as is the pathetically low data-rates, and now the missing frame rates in the K-3iii,

Some of these choices kind of pointing to there being someone inside Pentax management who is actively working against Video features being done properly.