Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What to do when you don't have a microphone ?

I kind of got an important video assignment that requires serious sound quality yet iI do not have a mic. Also, I am unable to buy one because none of the camera shops sells one around here.

The job is basically taking short (2-3mins) videos of to-be prime minister (35% leading in recent polls) and his close associates giving a speech on certain topics. Now we do have a good media team but recently video guy quit and none of the photographers step up for the place and a good friend of mine in party council recommended me. When you get personal from the party leader himself and his saying "I trust your skills will be enough to overcome any equipment shortages" kind of ruined my rejection.

I do have a basic understanding and experience in video field but I got no idea how the audio quality will not sound crappy. Should i just buy some mics from pc stores and hope for the best?

I don't want to be the guy to embarrass him...

03-15-2017, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Good audio for sit down interviews can be achieved cheaply via a lav mic.

You can run this into an IPhone for example (sometimes requires an adapter) and match/sync with the onboard camera audio in post.

If audio is important, do not rely on the onboard audio at all. Just don't.
03-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Good audio for sit down interviews can be achieved cheaply via a lav mic.

You can run this into an IPhone for example (sometimes requires an adapter) and match/sync with the onboard camera audio in post.

If audio is important, do not rely on the onboard audio at all. Just don't.

I do have a sound mixer. May be find some decent mics for it and output the audio to camera ?

But this method will be too cumbersome as i will need a sounds mixer, a mic, stand, 3-4 long cables and AC power.
03-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which camera will you be using? If it's an iPhone several options are ok. If a DSLR an inexpensive Rode VideoMic or VideoMic Pro with a cord would produce decent quality and easy setup.

03-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Which camera will you be using? If it's an iPhone several options are ok. If a DSLR an inexpensive Rode VideoMic or VideoMic Pro with a cord would produce decent quality and easy setup.
Got a K5ii and K3. It will be on a tripod asll well. Not sure which one is superior in terms of video. ( I know K-3 movie SR is funky).

And as i said above. NONE of the camera shops sells anything remotely related which a mic. And first shoot is this monday, not enough time to buy overseas.
03-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the video guy quit, certainly his equipment is available and not that difficult to use. if it's not available and you must use a dslr, go with a separate audio recorder and you can and synch on the timeline. There are radio receiver/transmitters for audio also that you can plug right into the camera, but test them at the venue first and use new batteries.

---------- Post added 03-15-17 at 08:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Got a K5ii and K3. It will be on a tripod asll well. Not sure which one is superior in terms of video. ( I know K-3 movie SR is funky).

And as i said above. NONE of the camera shops sells anything remotely related which a mic. And first shoot is this monday, not enough time to buy overseas.
Use both cameras, use one at a constant position/view. You should be a able to buy a mic at somewhere other than a camera store, people use mics for audio, computers, etc.
03-15-2017, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #7

I agree the camera mic will not give great results. You can go to a music store and either buy a mic or a digital recorder in the $100 range and be in much better standing. I only have a cheap Sony $50.00 mic that I used to use for my minidisc. Even that mic is a tremendous improvement. Best of luck.

03-15-2017, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the audio track from the camera as the backup and sync track. Record better audio separately and sync in post.
  1. If the speeches are at a public venue, then talk to the AV team at the venue. Ask if you can patch into their audio system. You may need a special cable to connect an external audio recorder (typically 1/4" audio or XLR)
  2. If the speeches are in a professional office or other space without audio capability, try to get a mic for your phone as richandfleur suggested. Phones will require a TRRS connector (looks like a regular 1/8 headphone jack but carries an extra mic signal). Download a dedicated recording app that lets you set levels and record for long enough. Put phone in airplane mode while recording. Practice with the gear at home beforehand.
  3. If you cannot get any gear, still get an app for your phone and place the phone as close as possible to the person. You will at least have two sources to choose from.

Best of luck.
03-15-2017, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Put the K-3 on the tripod, off to the side of the person speaking - so it's just out of frame of the K-5ii.
Frame the K-3 for waist to top of head, with a little spare room for taller people.
Put the K-5ii on a second tripod, looking as close to square on to where the speeches will be made. You can use a zoom on the K-5ii, and when editing, cut to the K-3 while zooming in or out on the K-5ii.

Go to a PC store or Electronics store - get either a desktop mic or a gamer lapel mic, and an extension cable, clip that mic to the lectern or whatever the speaker will be standing behind.

TEST BEFORE THE DAY - make sure you have set the input level on you camera to a conservative level to get good, clear sound without overdrive distortion.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If the speeches are at a public venue, then talk to the AV team at the venue. Ask if you can patch into their audio system. You may need a special cable to connect an external audio recorder (typically 1/4" audio or XLR)
If you can do this, it's the best solution, but remember, the PA system will output Line or Speaker levels, your K-3 uses Mic levels.
Feeding Line signal in to Mic input can damage some cameras.
If you have an Android or crApple tablet, you may be able to find an app online that lets you use the input of the tablet to record the output of the PA system, with an easy to use input level control.
Some Audio Desks even have a USB connection that is meant to be used for recording, so talk to the PA system guys as soon as you can.
03-19-2017, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
If you can do this, it's the best solution, but remember, the PA system will output Line or Speaker levels, your K-3 uses Mic levels.
Feeding Line signal in to Mic input can damage some cameras.
If you have an Android or crApple tablet, you may be able to find an app online that lets you use the input of the tablet to record the output of the PA system, with an easy to use input level control.
Some Audio Desks even have a USB connection that is meant to be used for recording, so talk to the PA system guys as soon as you can.
Yup. The location of the audio board is not necessarily a good place to shoot video from, so I'd use a phone/tablet or other recording device to record the audio while positioning the cameras appropriately.
03-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #11

Original Poster
UPDATE:

Venues going to be his office, party building (both controlled environments) and some village halls without any sounds system.

Went to every computer, electronics, phone, camera shop in my city. none of them sells a mic that can connect my camera. Closest thing was gamer headphones with separate mic inputs.
03-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Absolute last resort is to use an iPhone (in aircraft mode) located close to the audio source, using its built in mic. Then sync this back up in post to the camera onboard audio track.
03-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
UPDATE:

Venues going to be his office, party building (both controlled environments) and some village halls without any sounds system.

Went to every computer, electronics, phone, camera shop in my city. none of them sells a mic that can connect my camera. Closest thing was gamer headphones with separate mic inputs.
Can you find a place that sells earbud headphones for smartphones? Find one that you can make calls with. That's a mic.
03-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hire a Panasonic....they do GOOD video!
03-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Hire a Panasonic....they do GOOD video!

Huh? This is an audio thread.