Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax short movies

Looking at Youtube, there are many amateur made short films done with dslrs which simply are amazing considering its not a Hollywood studio. Mostly Canons and Nikons, and comments reflect that it works out very well for that urge to buy "this" camera..free advertising for them..
Soooo, is there a Pentax dslr short movie for us? Ive seen short test clips but no themed movies..
A nice example is short movie made with a 7D and a Rebel t2i, and ending credits say that it was totally made with natural daylight in one day..some actor quirks but overall it has that TV series look. Producer name is Andyax on YT

04-18-2017, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
Looking at Youtube, there are many amateur made short films done with dslrs which simply are amazing considering its not a Hollywood studio. Mostly Canons and Nikons, and comments reflect that it works out very well for that urge to buy "this" camera..free advertising for them..
Soooo, is there a Pentax dslr short movie for us? Ive seen short test clips but no themed movies..
A nice example is short movie made with a 7D and a Rebel t2i, and ending credits say that it was totally made with natural daylight in one day..some actor quirks but overall it has that TV series look. Producer name is Andyax on YT
The video image quality is one reason. From DPReview, the first image is a still from K-1 video recording, the second from the 70d, the third from the panasonic g85, all 1080p (this is not the G85's 4k)
Attached Images

04-18-2017, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There could be others out there, but this is the only one that springs to mind, it was shot on a K7:

Tas

PS, saw mention of a 'making of' in the comments, so had to watch that one too:

It's a pretty kewl story after all.

Last edited by Tas; 04-18-2017 at 05:32 PM.
04-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is was I was talking about, Tas..thanks!! I mean, sometimes we have to spare the tech and appraise the art, right?
this one was great too..

https://youtu.be/66MWzGlv3fQ

Last edited by Jeff Lopez; 04-18-2017 at 08:08 PM.
04-19-2017, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax K-01, SMC Primes.

Submitted to Cannes Short Film Festival,... someone shared the URL and Password online, ruining our entry.
The letter from the judges to explain why it had to be rejected, as the competition rules state the film has to premiere at Cannes,... "We have not seen a silent film of it's calibre in many years".

The 'Cannes Short Film' competition is not to be confused with the Cannes 'Corner Short Film' segment, which is a pay-to-play event.

On the same channel, "I used to exist" and "Ignored" were shot on Aja Cion wearing Pentax SMC lenses, with some extra footage added in by the director in locations where you really couldn't take a Cion without attracting undue attention.

From my IMDB,... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3749317/ ..,

- Mirror of Filth - is Pentax lenses on 550D
- How Do You Like Dem Apples - is K-01 with Pentax SMC primes
- My Song To Say Goodbye - Pentax lenses on GH4
- Heed - K-01 with Pentax primes
- Midnight - Aja Cion with Pentax Primes

Not listed yet is 'Back Road', shot on AF100, Pentax Primes, and Rectimascop 2x Anamorphic.

From my Vimeo,...
The first 'pro' piece I did on my K-01

Test Video,.. K-01 and Sigma 28-200 lens

Make-up course submission for a friend. K-01 and selection of primes.

Music video, K-01, K-30, 7D and GoPro

Showreel peice,. K-01 and HD7

Awesome Mate-ette doing some fire-twirling - K-01, GoPro on the wide, and JVC-HD7 doing the shutter drag.

Actor Showreel scene,. K-01 and Primes

Behind Scenes Excerpt showing an actor going from herself to the character,. K-01 and Primes

Not on the K-01, but except for the first shot, every other shot was shot on the KA 35mm F2, on Aja Cion,.

And the Makings Of,.. Showing the lens in use

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-19-2017 at 04:30 AM.
04-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great job,Pid!! all of them are lovely, and the first one its great!
How did you control your lights on the first movie?
04-19-2017, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is one my son did a few years ago on a K-01 with Sigma and Pentax (all zooms I think). I think he forgot to turn the SR off on a couple of the hand-held shots and got a few jello effects.

Tom

04-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thix2112 Quote
Here is one my son did a few years ago on a K-01 with Sigma and Pentax (all zooms I think). I think he forgot to turn the SR off on a couple of the hand-held shots and got a few jello effects.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yepKtdGhUKo

Tom
Tom, was that really a K01? are you kidding me? geez, movie has that Hallmark Channel movie trademark burn, love it! How did you get to focus so fast between the bag and your son? tripod? exact lenses? (Im guessing a 18-20mm).
Cant believe the K01 gets so low points, yet PiD and you use it like a pro..K01 is simply amazing,hmm need to check the specs again lol..Anyway, great movie, you should consider submitting it to a producer
04-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The camera is just a tool in the suite of aspects to consider. Lighting, composition, depth of field, focus point, exposure, editing, theme, music/audio, acting if necessary etc all come into play.
Just getting a better/more capable camera isn't going to fix issues from lacking in the rest.

The Pentax is capable of Full HD at a range of frame rates, and the codec allows for some movement in the shot. It quickly get's swamped though if lots of the background is moving/is complex, or if the light drops away and you need to up the ISO to expose properly. You don't get any of the helpful guides during video recording, as focus peaking and digital zoom all stop once you start rolling. There's much that Pentax could improve upon, but it's fine really right now if your requirements aren't too taxing for it.

As shown above by Imp though, on the whole it's pretty average compared to the rest out there now. People have been making cool stuff from not much for quite a while now too, but Pentax really haven't significantly/sufficiently upped their game since 2012, and in consumer electronics terms, that's a pretty darn long time now...
04-19-2017, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Jeff -

Tom, was that really a K01? are you kidding me? geez, movie has that Hallmark Channel movie trademark burn, love it! How did you get to focus so fast between the bag and your son? tripod? exact lenses? (Im guessing a 18-20mm).
Cant believe the K01 gets so low points, yet PiD and you use it like a pro..K01 is simply amazing,hmm need to check the specs again lol..Anyway, great movie, you should consider submitting it to a producer

Thanks Jeff - My oldest son, Joseph, the movie maker, created and shot the film. My youngest son, Tim, was the actor. I was just the helper, snapping the whatever you call those snapper things to sync the sound. The lens used in the shot flipping between Tim and the camera bag was a Pentax A 70-210 f4 on a tripod. He practiced pulling focus for that shot. The other lens used for the wide angle shots was a Sigma 15-30 f3.5-4.5 from film day heritage. He may have used another lens, but I cannot quite remember. My son Joseph is a movie whiz who studies movies as a hobby but has a job as a tech a Panavision Atlanta. He removed his name from the credits, hence the "???".

When Joseph lived at home, he would attend a local movie gathering where everyone was shooting Canikons. He got some strange looks when he told his fellow movie makers he used a Pentax K-01. I just passed the legacy on to him, hence, he uses Pentax.

I will pass on to him you liked it.

Best.
Tom
04-19-2017, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tom, please do..
The whole point of this thread is about "doing more with less".
What Rich says is very true, however you can get to produce very nice results with less tech and more human interaction. Its very admirable what you can produce with very little in gadget terms.In fact, most indie films which get to be awarded are done with very basic equipment, its all art..
04-20-2017, 05:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

How did you control your lights on the first movie?
Mad effing skillz,...

I've been shooting video since I was 14, and stills since I was 15, doing lighting since my 20's for broadcast, films, music videos, the IMDB page lists less then a third of the short films and features I've lit, and too many of the people responsible for the credits roles and credit listings, don't bother making sure they're accurate.

There's one local indie feature where I should be listed as B-Cam, Editing, Lighting, SF/X, Data Wrangler, Transport, Safety Officer and Grip,.. I'm listed as 'Best Boy', which is the assistant to the guy who showed up 30% of the time but still got the credit for lighting,.. It's the world only 'Roller Derby Slasher Film, so should be easy to find.

That first listed film used my Redhead kit and Lee Production Gels kit.
The one called 'Karma' used no lighting, as a No Lighting Test for the camera it was shot on, which according to some people (Cinema5D,...) doesn't have much dynamic range and needs to be used in controlled lighting only...

QuoteOriginally posted by thix2112 Quote
When Joseph lived at home, he would attend a local movie gathering where everyone was shooting Canikons. He got some strange looks when he told his fellow movie makers he used a Pentax K-01.
I know that reaction well. The guy who runs my local short film night bought a K-3 after seeing what I get out of my K-01, and finding out how much more Price Competitive the K-3 was over equivalent specced Canons - all of which didn't have Sensor Shift or the like at the time.

Yeah, overall, you can get 'good' video out of Pentax cameras, they just need some tweaks by the factory to get GREAT video out of them.
Basically, the firmware bits we've all been wanting, are the bits that would lift the video performance, to the quality of the stills performance, which is second-to-none on the price versus performance index.
04-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
"Mad skills", love it!