Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2017, 02:53 AM   #1

Flat profile for video shooting.

Hello,
I will shoot some video next week with a K3. Very confortable to use for the fast and logical settings but...
Any suggestions on how to correctly set the flat color profile? Normally it's Contrast to minimum, Sharpness to minimun and Saturation 2 steps left. On the K3 there are also Highlights and Shadows and other fine tunings to set. Any suggestion and experiences from video users?

Thanks!

05-19-2017, 04:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
choose 'muted' profile & the other stuff you mentioned..

---------- Post added 05-19-17 at 01:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
ps: what i also do sometimes, when i know what colortint i want for the finished video, i'll tweak it a bit in the WB menu. There is a 'wheel' that lets you adjust the color tone in camera..
05-19-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the jpeg mode affects the video. So choose Natural. Something like Bright or Film reversal affects saturation and contrasts. I don't know if other jpeg choices, like shadow correction, highlight correction, CA correction affect video on the new cameras. You can run a couple tests and compare

All I know about video is to turn off SR, set shutter speed to 1/(2*fps) and then try to keep steady hands.
05-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #4

Original Poster

---------- Post added 05-19-17 at 01:29 PM ----------

ps: what i also do sometimes, when i know what colortint i want for the finished video, i'll tweak it a bit in the WB menu. There is a 'wheel' that lets you adjust the color tone in camera..
Thank you. My questions was actually especially for the "mid settings" like highlights and shadows, since I read somewhere that there is the risk to lose some info reducing that parameters wrong way.
About the colour it is a good suggestion. In this case I will use a LUT in post, so better flat colors ;-)

---------- Post added 05-19-17 at 06:16 AM ----------

QuoteQuote:

All I know about video is to turn off SR, set shutter speed to 1/(2*fps) and then try to keep steady hands.
Yes, I know Pentax SR in video mode is electronic and horrible like the video AF function. In any case I use tripods, fluid heads, rigs and follow focus

05-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by andher76 Quote
like highlights and shadows
I believe there is a setting for highlight correction/preservation in photo mode. ĘPretty sure it will be applied to the video recording.
I think Pidicus has some tricks up his sleeve to preserve highlights.. Myself, i'm pretty happy with the dynamic range out of the box. Just watch the histogram i guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by andher76 Quote
In any case I use tripods, fluid heads, rigs and follow focus
Makes me curious about what you plan to record ;-)
6 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Myself, i'm pretty happy with the dynamic range out of the box. Just watch the histogram i guess.

Yeah your base exposure is still king here. Set that to protect the content of importance first and foremost.

There's nothing close to RAW video coming from a Pentax, so it's prebaked like a JPEG, and is therefore important to get it right in camera, as much as possible.