Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Wait, so are you saying the DPs who shoot major motion pictures on digital Arri cameras are not cinematographers?
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
A cinematographer is a person with technical expertise who manipulates light to transfer visual information by the use of a camera into aesthetic moving images, onto motion picture film or electronic recording systems. ► Australian Cinematographers Society

07-05-2017, 06:12 AM - 4 Likes   #17

I have a very little film production company in Argentina. We have some canon 6D, 5DII, and 2 sony a6300. Ziyung gimbal, and lots of gear around. We are 4 filmmakers that work as a rock band, lol, but Im the only photographer, and main cinematographer, with a K3 and a (now broken) K30. We make any kind of job...social, TV programs, Online programs, fiction, music video, corporate films, commercials, etc. Luckly we have a lot of work.

In side by side comparision, the K3 always lose to the rest of our cameras. But in every day job, In muted color profile it do the trick. Its incredible how many times it have save us. We also adapt all my Pentax glass to video, since a lot of lenses have aperture ring.

I already suscribe to your channel, and I KNOW, that cinematography is a lot more of how you put the lights than wich camera you use. I would love to see some uploads.

Hope one day Pentax surprise us all with a apsc (s35) camera, with clean output for 4k 10bit 422, and a nice slow motion. Until that day, we have one of the most amazing ¨timelapse machines¨ ever made . Do it before I get Sony FS5 with an external recorder and sony raw uptdate, lol.

Cheers, and sorry for my english.

PS

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcdJGmttPbZ1siX8TJy2W4A
https://vimeo.com/mimesisfilmworks

Some footage there have been made with the K3.

Last edited by Enrique S Toso; 07-05-2017 at 06:21 AM.
07-06-2017, 02:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
In side by side comparision, the K3 always lose to the rest of our cameras. But in every day job, In muted color profile it do the trick. Its incredible how many times it have save us. We also adapt all my Pentax glass to video, since a lot of lenses have aperture ring.
I have found much the same - the reviewers don't do a proper job of comparing the video features or funtionality.
Yes, there's limits, and there's loads of room for improvement, but sub-standard reviews just make things harder.

Heck, I'm not happy with some of the process in the current Pentax Forums review of the KP - an assessment of the K-70's CAF was used to descibe what was expected of the KP's CAF, rather then an actual assessment of the KP being made.

And, yes, the Iris ring on the lenses, is what makes it so easy to swap a Pentax lens on to any other brands cameras.

Uploads, hopefully the first new one will be next week.
07-08-2017, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I was out and about filming last night with a mate, and I'm typing this before hitting the pillows.

We met up with some of the Media reps for Victoria Police, who were holding one of their "Safe Night" events, where they stop hundreds of drivers for alcohol, drug, roadworthy, licensing, EPA and fines checks, looking for Un-safe dirvers, and Un-safe cars.

Moved around, shooting on the K-01's, with the DA40, KA 50f1.4, and Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6, and using the ISO from around 320 with the 50mm, to 2000 with the zoom.

This sample is "Ungraded", and was shot in the 'Natural" profile - an almost out-of-the-box set up.

I wasn't going to post any footage like this up yet, but I noticed something while crashing the shots together in DaVinci Resolve.

I would normally edit in Edius, which has served me well for nearly two decades. Edius is the NLE that has always had the best support for native CoDecs, it's fast and runs on nearly any spec PC, right up until the latest versions.

What I noticed with Resolve though, was it seems to do a much nicer job of decompressing footage from the h.264 CoDec in the MOV files. This may be due to being able to access the system GPU(s) and use them to do the number crunching, instead of the CPU.

I'll have to look at the differences more closely later.

For now, you should be able to see what I was seeing - less blotchy patches in the dark areas of the video

Music is by Eric, you can find his links here in the Video section of the forum.

Oh/And,... yes, I kept shooting in the rain, even though the K-01 isn't as WR as the DSLR's we love.
It is more WR then the C100 one of the reps had.

07-09-2017, 02:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Hamburg calling - a reminder to me - from the K5

My first attempt to act like a tv-team just on my own - at this peaceful Demo in Hamburg, 2014
Pentax K5 aperture, shutter and sensitivity automatic didn't always work right with me then.
It's a complicated game to ALMOST controle exposure, shutterspeed and ISO, because they are completely
automatic and must be tricked around the bush somehow ... Here I had overblown hights I could not controle
yet ... Later on I found this can be done - almost - but also the SR is not good at all in such vivid scenes, and
this problem adds up to a to slow or to fast shutterspeed without your own will ...
You can see all those faulty mismanagements here, but most of all now I do dislike the blurred image.

ND4 filter on my Tamron 17-50 / 2.8
(At least Zoom-Motion is possible here with ease because of parfocal glass.)

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-25-2017 at 11:22 AM.
07-09-2017, 05:35 AM   #21
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
So I was out and about filming last night with a mate, and I'm typing this before hitting the pillows.

We met up with some of the Media reps for Victoria Police, who were holding one of their "Safe Night" events, where they stop hundreds of drivers for alcohol, drug, roadworthy, licensing, EPA and fines checks, looking for Un-safe dirvers, and Un-safe cars.

Moved around, shooting on the K-01's, with the DA40, KA 50f1.4, and Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6, and using the ISO from around 320 with the 50mm, to 2000 with the zoom.

This sample is "Ungraded", and was shot in the 'Natural" profile - an almost out-of-the-box set up.

I wasn't going to post any footage like this up yet, but I noticed something while crashing the shots together in DaVinci Resolve.

I would normally edit in Edius, which has served me well for nearly two decades. Edius is the NLE that has always had the best support for native CoDecs, it's fast and runs on nearly any spec PC, right up until the latest versions.

What I noticed with Resolve though, was it seems to do a much nicer job of decompressing footage from the h.264 CoDec in the MOV files. This may be due to being able to access the system GPU(s) and use them to do the number crunching, instead of the CPU.

I'll have to look at the differences more closely later.

For now, you should be able to see what I was seeing - less blotchy patches in the dark areas of the video

Music is by Eric, you can find his links here in the Video section of the forum.

Oh/And,... yes, I kept shooting in the rain, even though the K-01 isn't as WR as the DSLR's we love.
It is more WR then the C100 one of the reps had.

VicPol Ungraded - YouTube
That looks... dare I say... Good!

Here is an idea - I have premiere pro, fcpx, and the free version of DaVinci Resolve - what do you think of sending me a couple of raw clips and we can see how those three all treat the footage?
07-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
Hamburg calling - a reminder to me - from the K5
That opening shot, with the flares,.. someone didn't clean the front element either

The blown highlights, make it look very "TV Camera" to me - ENG cameras don't have anywhere near the dynamic range of a DSLR or MILC - ANOTHER REASON to use DSLR's & MILC's for video production!

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Here is an idea - I have premiere pro, fcpx, and the free version of DaVinci Resolve - what do you think of sending me a couple of raw clips and we can see how those three all treat the footage?
I did clear some space on a DropBox folder for some KP samples, haven't heard if they've been uploaded yet.
I don't have a huge amount of space on there, but don't mind uploading some ungraded samples.

07-09-2017, 07:12 AM   #23
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did clear some space on a DropBox folder for some KP samples, haven't heard if they've been uploaded yet. I don't have a huge amount of space on there, but don't mind uploading some ungraded samples.
Sure. PM me maybe?
07-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

No Pidicus, the front lense was clean (of course) and the ND filter was clean as well.
but internal reflections between top lense-glass and ND-filter are very possible while direct light shines in to the "tunnel" ...
even though I bought high priced ND filters with the best possible coating. (Hoya Pro Digital: NDX 4 + NDX 16)

But anyway, nobody seems to be much interested in analysing this clip ... and care for Pentax Videos anyway.
because there is not much to say about Pentax anymore ...
We, the lost few veterans of a forgotten premature war ...

Last edited by TomGarn; 07-26-2017 at 05:57 PM.
07-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How is this going? Are there youtube videos we can watch now?

I'm keen to see how people are setting the exposure in Manual mode for video (using histogram? Green button to set initial point from the internal metering suggestion? Does green button retain your say 1/50s shutter speed when determining the start point?)

Also interested to hear if people are using any of the JPEG corrections, such as shadow/highlight protection, in video mode, and what their experiences with this are.

Great idea for a Pentax specific video resource. Gets my vote
07-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Have done a couple of shoots, and got grabbed for some film work - taking the money when it there!

Editing away and should have some uploads soon. Has to figure what was the best way to do pieces to camera with my ugly mug too,... Going for the Driver-talks-to-camera style with a gopro clone for those, to make sure they stand out as not-Pentax shots
08-17-2017, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: Family stuff got in the way, but rather then just rebrand an old youtube, I've created a new one, just trying to get the right URL for it now.
08-17-2017, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

*Than*
08-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually did consider which was right, but had fewer option to consider then one might think.

Also, S07E06,.. What The Actual Faq ??!!
08-21-2017, 02:05 AM   #30
Veteran Member

*Than* .... lol

---------- Post added 08-21-17 at 07:06 PM ----------

Also, S07E06,.. What The Actual Faq ??!!
I haven't bothered with S7. Enough was enough...