Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2017, 01:24 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
S07E06,.. What The Actual Faq ??!!
Thought it was the series final. Seemed epic enough to end it there, but no, there's one more...

08-25-2017, 03:23 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The problem with leaks, is when no one leaks the following week.
08-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Cinematics ? (A very personnal job-situation review (aged 62 years now)

Well, Pentaxistic videomakers are so rare ... we can't really open up a discussion or "Learning DSLR" group here it seems (quoting beloved "Dave Dugdale's" Tube-Series, that really teaches so very well) This whole Pentax thing is mostly off-road (highway to hell) Lots of frustrations to come for low-low budget fools like us. You either get it - or not ...
Watching Panasonic Lumix GH5 ... or Sony's 7S ... or alpha 6500 ... Canon, even Olympus or whatever ... and then returning to what could be possible with Pentax ... leaves us almost speachless.

What about me ? I am a frustrated ENG-Cameraman who, years ago, lost all contacts to tv-production-companies. I never had my own professional equipment and almost no direct connections. I always used the company's professional equipment for all my broadcast jobs as a freelancer.
Four years ago I dropped my dead job and started working as a photographer with my Pentax K10D which did the job absolutely sufficient enough ... well, just photos of refurbished young AUDIs ... lol. Then I switched to K7 and K5 to find a way of returning to video with my own equipment and even my own storytelling. This idea failed to work out because I didn't get the knick of finding my own customers and be happy with my Pentaxes to really go for straight job-acquisition.

For years I knew it must rather be ... could only be ... a Panasonic Lumix GH 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... or 5 ... to start all over again. When money came close enough I tested the GH5 with a 12-35/2.8 and a 35 -100/2.8 in the shop. I found out AF was not my choice and manual focus was poor in the eyes of my old school skills. Yes, the focus-peaking is quite good but overlays the now viewed image. Before I only used such a focus-assistant if I had to work with company-equipment that had no sharp viewfinder for focussing their semipro cameras. Nowadays AF is needed because cheap lenses are not parfocal and can't zoom in for focussing and then zoom back and shoot.

Today I got an optional job with a DSLR or DSLM - and might get the courage together to jump in the cold water and just buy equipment. I am so tired to rent a camera - cause I have done this for years for non broadcast-jobs, but again and again technical problems happen due to those non-professional tools and their bad caretaking. Sometimes I was lucky enough: The sound was OK and usable, batteries were strong, tripod was stable enough, etc. The other problem is you mostly have different systems, quality and extras, depending on what is still available in the shop right now. A tricky game. Now I want my own stuff only !
But most of all I now need new ways to go for jobs ... New path, new camera, new positioning ...

The shop nearby sells the Panasonic GH5 but only rents a Sony A7S II ... mostly with Metabone Speedbooster to add Canon quality lenses - not my choice I think. To heavy for handheld jobs
So now the point to jump for a GH5 is closer than ever - but I also don't want to fool myself just because of this optional job ... but it could also serve me well to make the jump at all.

Pentax-Alternative could only be:
Get a connectable viewfinder for the display, so manual focussing can be controlled well enough. (For me even with additional lenses inside - done by the optician - needed for my old-age reading-glass distance) Get a Pentax K-01 or the new KP and add your favourite lenses for manual focus ... Forget about the unusable Shake Reduction (mechanical and electronic) and use some sort of shoulder-support to smoothen the hand-held shaking ... or use a tripod of course.

Thinking over GH5 and 7S II ?

Last edited by TomGarn; 11-25-2017 at 05:20 PM.
09-19-2017, 01:55 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update,.... Filmed segments, then had to deal with Mum getting pretty darn sick, and currently Lighting a feature film.

Have created a new Youtube channel just for this, will be posting a video with the 'please help hit 100 subscribers' to lock in the channel name

10-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #35

I'm using a K-3 for video projects just because I can't buy a C200 or a a7sII or a Ursa mini for the moment (this three would be my choices in order of preference).
At the moment I shoot interviews with b-footages and the K-3 is good enough IF you don't want a lot of room for color correction or the ability to deal with special lightning conditions or an extended dynamic range because K3 is really missing any single feature that makes a DSLR good for video. But again, paired with a good lens (I mostly use M 50 f/1,7) with rock solid lightning, audio and grips&rig equipments, it is enough for having some results. There is just nothing special in her. Here a sample of my job vimeo.com/236551138
10-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andher76 Quote
I'm using a K-3 for video projects just because I can't buy a C200 or a a7sII or a Ursa mini for the moment (this three would be my choices in order of preference).
At the moment I shoot interviews with b-footages and the K-3 is good enough IF you don't want a lot of room for color correction or the ability to deal with special lightning conditions or an extended dynamic range because K3 is really missing any single feature that makes a DSLR good for video. But again, paired with a good lens (I mostly use M 50 f/1,7) with rock solid lightning, audio and grips&rig equipments, it is enough for having some results. There is just nothing special in her. Here a sample of my job vimeo.com/236551138

Excellent summary and example.

Tripod mounting allows the camera to devote it's bitrate to moving subjects, and this is a great way to work with the Pentax video offering.
Thanks for sharing.
10-26-2017, 11:34 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm using a K-3 for video projects just because I can't buy a C200 or a a7sII or a Ursa mini for the moment (this three would be my choices in order of preference)
I'd swap the order of the first two, but I own a Shogun,...
Heard some brutal comments about artifacts in the vision from the Ursa Mini recently, but the truth is, in the over AU$5000 bracket, if you can't get good video from the camera, it's normally not the camera where the issue lays

At the moment I shoot interviews with b-footages and the K-3 is good enough IF you don't want a lot of room for color correction or the ability to deal with special lightning conditions or an extended dynamic range because K3 is really missing any single feature that makes a DSLR good for video.
Can't quite agree - the sensor is the right size for 'cinematic looks', aka, S35.

And Pentax does preserve the dynamic range better - rather then clipping and loosing high-lights and shadow detail, by ignoring the IRE signal level limits.
Then they compress it waaaay to far and loose detail

Set the K-3 up in Muted picture profile with the contrast down one or even two steps if you want to maximise your Post Production scope.

with rock solid lightning, audio and grips&rig equipments,
That, is the key, to getting good images out of any DSLR or Cinema camera.

11-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #38
Veteran Member

But again, paired with a good lens (I mostly use M 50 f/1,7) with rock solid lightning, audio and grips&rig equipments, it is enough for having some results. There is just nothing special in her. Here a sample of my job vimeo.com/236551138
No, there is indeed nothing special with video from K3, but for this kind of things it is quite allright. Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

---------- Post added 11-01-17 at 01:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Also interested to hear if people are using any of the JPEG corrections, such as shadow/highlight protection, in video mode, and what their experiences with this are.
I'm recording something friday night. I'll play around with that & see what i find..

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I did clear some space on a DropBox folder for some KP samples, haven't heard if they've been uploaded yet.
any KP samples sofar?
11-03-2017, 04:12 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

I take back what I said. I bad mouthed K5 for video a little while back but I recently made a little video of opportune clips and the K5 stuff looked pretty good. Here it is - the nature stuff at the beginning is K5ii:
11-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #40
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now that I've got a K-3, I must say the video quality looks a lot better than my k-30... I don't know what it is. Is it the lack of an AA filter?

Something I put together recently:

11-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Friends ...

... finally I made it ... and got a Panasonic Lumix GH5
... now selling my Pentax K5 with equipment used for video only.

Pentax had some good things invented but didn't go for their video-fans.
Shocking is their terrible vision to coop with their video-departement for all these years.

If interested in my K5 and equipment please ask for the list.
(Here they want a donation for sales)

Last edited by TomGarn; 11-25-2017 at 05:30 PM.
11-29-2017, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thinking about video more seriously these days, and pleased that the K-3II does not do a bad job at all, when set up in manual mode on muted profile (or maybe natural profile, depending on subject/location/conditions) with built-in SR turned off and using a lavalier-type external stereo mic. I haven't got a fluid tripod head, but VirtualDub with the de-shaker plug-in does a very good job of shake removal in post.

The problem for me with the K-5 video was that there was no control over the shutter speed, so that in bright conditions it tended to set a fast shutter speed, giving a very choppy output (like they purposely use in some Marvel superhero films!)
11-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #43
Veteran Member

As the K3 has good controls but no real Shake Reduction ... one maybe can
live with the small codec ... if not doing to much editing, yes. A better choice.

The K5 shutter can only be controlled when using ND-filters and the right f-stop
this needs a lot experience and understanding ... so it may be almost possible
The same of course with ISO - which also is a stupid automatism ... and needs
to be balanced with manual aperture as well ...

These things are such a hastle and may destroy a lot of flow, love and aestetics.
11-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Thinking about video more seriously these days, and pleased that the K-3II does not do a bad job at all, when set up in manual mode on muted profile (or maybe natural profile, depending on subject/location/conditions) with built-in SR turned off and using a lavalier-type external stereo mic. I haven't got a fluid tripod head, but VirtualDub with the de-shaker plug-in does a very good job of shake removal in post.

The problem for me with the K-5 video was that there was no control over the shutter speed, so that in bright conditions it tended to set a fast shutter speed, giving a very choppy output (like they purposely use in some Marvel superhero films!)
I use the same set up with the original K-3 for outdoor interviews but with a fluid head and a small ‘dead kitten’ around the microphone and I agree with your conclusions!
12-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #45

Just got the sony FS5 + Shogun Inferno a month ago. I think is the best option in the 4k-7k price range. I mean....4k 120p raw in burst mode....4k 60p raw or ProRes. Cant be more happy, lol. I think is an amazing and bargain camera. Got a Novaflex adapter for my DA lenses too. Expensive but amazing choice.

Pentax should do something like that, maybe with Ricoh brand, honoring some old Ricoh camcorders, you know....the KP sensor, 4k 60p internal, and a clear SDI out. That would be groundbreaking.

Lets keep dreaming....its almost free, lol.