Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2017, 04:38 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Cinematography.

So, I've been thinking about this for a while, and there's nearly zero resources for those of us who do use Pentax cameras and lenses to share knowledge and the like,...

I'm rebranding one of my YouTube channels, and I'll be putting some Tech-Tips videos up on it, as "The Pentax Cinematographer"

It'll still be currently searchable as 'PiDsMedia' with a music video I directed that was shot on 5D2 and 5D3,... I'll be using that as a comparative sample.

Questions for those doing video and film - what parts of the Pentax video system do you want to see better explained?

I've lined up a K-1 and hopefully a K-3 to test, on top of my K-01.
If anyone in Melbourne or the rest of Victoria, Australia, wants to make a KP or K-70 available, it'd be greatly appreciated - I'll bring the models for test-shoots .

Stewart.
Stewart Fairweather - IMDb

PiDsMedia - The Pentax Cinematographer - YouTube

07-04-2017, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd like to know what you think of Pentax's shake reduction when it comes to video. My feeling is that it introduces jumps in the video, and sound noise. I've almost never used my K5II for video because of this and the general rough looking image. Like to know what you think.
07-04-2017, 04:50 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love it!

How about this: Picture profiles, and how you treat them in editing.
07-04-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
I'd like to know what you think of Pentax's shake reduction when it comes to video.
Any other body then the K-5 or K-5ii,... Don't Use MovieSR !!

For the K-5's, Kadajawi has the most experience with shooting using it.

I've always assumed it works the same as the rest of the bodies when shooting Still in M and Live View - I got some samples using a K-3 and an Atomos Ninja, and I didn't notice much in the way of noise, but I did notice that it seems to wind up to a point then jump back to center, when dealing with fast pan's side to side.

The sort of thing that an owner would get used too, and know how fast they can pan without triggering the jumps.

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
How about this: Picture profiles, and how you treat them in editing.
Editing is going to be in DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Lite, because it's available free, so anyone wanting to try video, can do so without spending huge amounts on software.

Some may be done in Edius, which I've been using for close to two decades, so am reasonably familiar with.

07-04-2017, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #5

I wanted to use my k-1 for short films, but it is just terrible at handling... You don't have an auto-focus... okay I can live with it, but not to give users the focus peaking during recording is just omg...

I even closed my eyes to terrible aperture click sound with every change which also results in motion freeze for a brief second.

Terrible shake reduction, quality and everything else just screams NOT TO USE IT for filming.

I just want focus peaking so I can focus properly and see what I am doing... I can live with the rest... Even though it's so hard after handling amazing sony a6500 in that department.
07-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Proper Focus Peaking would be fantastic - most Cinematographers avoid AF as much as possible.

On the classic Film-Era lenses, 'De-Clicking' is about a 15minute job with a couple of Jewelers screwdrivers - remind me to do a video on it!

Compared to the A6500, all Pentax's have one thing in their favor - the Rolling Shutter on the a6300 and a6500 is really terrible - fast pan and the image tilts over 30 degrees!
It's worse then the BMD Pocket Cine camera.

I've mounted my K-01 on a Tripod with a Pocket Cine Camera mounted to the K-01 hotshoe, so I could pan both cameras together, while the BMD had my 24mm and the K-01 had a 50mm so the view angle was the same on both.
At the panning speed where the BMD became un-useable, the skew on the K-01 was still barely noticeable.
07-04-2017, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
So, I've been thinking about this for a while, and there's nearly zero resources for those of us who do use Pentax cameras and lenses to share knowledge and the like,...

I'm rebranding one of my YouTube channels, and I'll be putting some Tech-Tips videos up on it, as "The Pentax Cinematographer"

It'll still be currently searchable as 'PiDsMedia' with a music video I directed that was shot on 5D2 and 5D3,... I'll be using that as a comparative sample.

Questions for those doing video and film - what parts of the Pentax video system do you want to see better explained?

I've lined up a K-1 and hopefully a K-3 to test, on top of my K-01.
If anyone in Melbourne or the rest of Victoria, Australia, wants to make a KP or K-70 available, it'd be greatly appreciated - I'll bring the models for test-shoots .

Stewart.
Stewart Fairweather - IMDb
Can't make it to Melbourne I'm afraid. Good luck with the Tech-Tip video's! More sound information available alway's is a good idea. One of the questions people could use some help with is 'what does one has to do to get usable footage from a recent Pentax camera.' Even in this topic I get the impression that people expect the camera

PiDsMedia - The Pentax Cinematographer - YouTube
Can't make it to Melbourne I'm afraid. Good luck with the Tech-Tip video's! More sound information available alway's is a good idea. One of the questions people could use some help with is 'what does one has to do to get usable footage from a recent Pentax camera.' Even in this topic I get the impression that people expect the camera to 'just work' for video after switching it in video mode. As a aside; yesterday, today and tomorrow I am getting lots of useful tips from some very experienced reporters at the NOS (the biggest news broadcaster of the Netherlands) as a sort of course for reporters from smaller, regional, public outfits like the one I'm working for. I had to share some of my work en they were very complimentary of the video from my K-3. Stabilize the cam, use a external microphone and avoid doing stuff that exposes the weak area's of the camera can result in really good video as you very well know.

07-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
'what does one has to do to get usable footage from a recent Pentax camera.' Even in this topic I get the impression that people expect the camera to 'just work' for video after switching it in video mode.
Indeed they do, and yes, there are ways to get better footage then Auto will get.
07-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
JIS micro driver.
Searches,...
I'm pretty sure I've got two sets of those, comes from the 'formal' qualifications being in Electronics.
In earlier version of Me, I was part of the Engineering team for a TV Studio facility.
07-04-2017, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Hope we'll get the mechanical stabilizer sometime soon, the digital one produces weird artifacts sometimes when hand holding. Also I wonder if it's possible for them to add a better codec via firmware? Not a video pro, just curious about the possibility
07-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Go ahead with those plans PiDicus Rex, Good idea.

Something from the past ? Why not ...
And some of us may still want to buy a used K5 for low budget and high experience ...
So here two old K7 SR-Tests (done by me) that show 1. the problem and some 2. surprising advantage:

1. K7 and K5 have had a good mechanical SR for still videos - that was terrible when panning.
... starting at 1:30 with SR-Demos

2. Don't use SR while camera is on tripod ...
... but you can, if something like this needs SR:

Last edited by TomGarn; 07-04-2017 at 06:25 PM.
07-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love your idea and hope everything goes well. I've got just one little niggle with the title of the channel. A "cinematographer", by definition, shoots film. A "videographer" shoots video, either analog or digital. Sorry. I used to be a television photojournalist, and the sports anchor was constantly calling me and my colleagues 'cinematographers'. I think after awhile he did it on purpose, just to get a rise out of us!

Hope all goes well with the new venture!
07-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
I love your idea and hope everything goes well. I've got just one little niggle with the title of the channel. A "cinematographer", by definition, shoots film. A "videographer" shoots video, either analog or digital. Sorry. I used to be a television photojournalist, and the sports anchor was constantly calling me and my colleagues 'cinematographers'. I think after awhile he did it on purpose, just to get a rise out of us!

Well, not looking for a rise - but that's not the definition I am accustomed too. I seems it depends on who you ask.

A cinematographer is a person with technical expertise who manipulates light to transfer visual information by the use of a camera into aesthetic moving images, onto motion picture film or electronic recording systems.
Australian Cinematographers Society
07-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
And some of us may still want to buy a used K5 for low budget and high experience ...
Used?
I know two stores here in Melbourne that still have them New on the shelf!

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
K7 and K5 have had a good mechanical SR for still videos - that was terrible when panning. ... starting at 1:30 with SR-Demos
Wow! - besides how effective it is when moving slower, that little bump at the end is EXACTLY like what the Canon XL-1 used to do, and the JVC HD7.
The HD7 was never as good as that though.

It's also the same as what I got with a K-3, recording the screwed up HDMI output while in Stills mode, to see the Sensor Shift SR in use.

I might steal those samples, with correct accreditation, as samples to compare to the MovieSR.

A "cinematographer", by definition, shoots film. A "videographer" shoots video, either analog or digital.
That was true if the film era, but it's now used more to describe the art and skills of proper storytelling with proper production, as compared to picking up a phone and shooting with natural light while seeing events around you in Potrait Mode
I have the same reaction to being called a DoP, because when I'm driving the camera, I'm not the Director, or the Photographer. Those are people doing other specific tasks.

Yep, I follow the same description the A.C.S. uses, although there are some members of that group who prefer DoP and others who prefer Cinematographer.
'Videographer' seems to be a tainted word, due to it's association with the Weddings industry.
07-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #15
Imp
Pentaxian

Wait, so are you saying the DPs who shoot major motion pictures on digital Arri cameras are not cinematographers? I'm confused by your terminology (I also don't know much about analog)