Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2017, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Q & A about Pentax KP - VIDEO

Anybody running the Pentax KP for videos ?
How ist it ?

Please compare with K5, K01 or K3 in terms of "Shake Reduction"
... and any real approvement or failure ...

What about the video codec ?

Last edited by TomGarn; 07-04-2017 at 11:20 AM.
07-04-2017, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

The sample videos show it's better, and the CoDec has been lifted from 19Mbit/s VBR to 24Mbit/s VBR, which is why the ISO 1600, 3200 and the new 6400 setting are usable.

Albert Seigel posted this video sometime back, from a Pre-Production sample.

This one shows how flipping good the Dynamic Range of the KP is -> Download it and look at how much detail is kept in the shadows..

This one will show you how bad the MovieSR is.
Watch for how the tool head appear to be moving compared to the camera - in messaging the uploader, it was revealed that the tool head is fixed and the camera on tripod, with the workbed moving.
MovieSR is still useless.

The screen on the right in this side by side, on a Pentax Stand at a Trade Show, shows how good Sensor Shift 2 is, and will be painfully obvious why it should be included in Video Mode.

If anybody in Melbourne, Australia, or anywhere in Victoria, has a KP and is willing to test the Slimport's output, I'll buy you an adapter dongle and bring my Atomos Shogun along.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 07-04-2017 at 12:35 PM.
07-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At the end of the day the KP is very similar to previous models in terms of video quality, compression, and stabilization. You do get the new continuous AF option as on the K-70, but still no focus peaking during recording.

It does have pretty good low-light performance, and is pretty much on par with the K-1 at high ISOs. I think the improvement comes from the sensor itself rather than a targeted overhaul of the video system.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so far ... there may be not much more I feal - or doubt ...

The two advantages toward the GH5 (and its class-comrades) seems to be good low light and manual glasses with manual focus.
Using parfocal zoom-lenses you don't really need an autofocus. And you can zoom in full motion as well with them.

I might have to train myself to work with AF - but I never liked that at all - happy with all kinds of manual pro-cameras.
For photo I also used AF of course ... but when my AF was f u c k e d up once - I had to do it the old school way for some
days - but that surely takes some more time to - zoom in - catch the focus - zoom out - and shoot.

One of my favourite reviewers ... Here on the Pentax KP:

Last edited by TomGarn; 07-04-2017 at 05:44 PM.
07-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Found a good example for Pentax KP Video that is quite good to watch.
It is mostly about higher ISO - but also shows more about pictue quality:

... but Pentax Videos simply never are so crisp and sharp as Lumix GH Videos

07-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The TCS review missed testing the Slimport HDMI too.
I haven't found a single test of it yet, so it might be crap, it might be amazing, but with no examples or advertising, who knows ?

Most Cinematography is done with manual lenses, only the very latest Panasonics and Sony's have anything close to decent AF in large sensor cameras, and only with their own lenses.
The GH5, G85 and GX85 seem to be racing ahead with the sharpness and especially the 5-Axis SR (Lens SR combined with the IBIS and with the EIS, all working together).
Sony Sensors, in Sony, Nikon and Pentax cameras, get much better gamut and colour accuracy though.

Even when there is AF used in Cinema, it tends to be external systems with Ultrasonic distance measurement and external motors driving the focus rings of cinema primes - when looking at Behind Scenes photos of camera rigs, look for the two miniature megaphone horns on top of the camera or matte-box - those are the ultrasonic transmitter and receiver.
07-07-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The one - very good point about the Pentax KP - maybe their acces to good manual glasses,
and all their manual settings which the K5 only dreamt of ...

Q: 5-axes SR is just for photo, right ? ... That's terrible again ... But at least you can
work professionally with this camera without all those mostly unneeded AF gimmicks, etc.

(I seriously think of buying a Pentax KP to give my K5 a peaceful death)

07-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

SR on Pentax, is only for Stills, yes.

Where I mentioned "5-axis" for the Panasonics, is a Video Only feature on them - they get "5" from two axis of Lens SR, Two on the Sensor being moved, and the fifth is applying the EIS.

IIRC, the only 'Roll' SR is on Pentax Stills, and Sony's.
07-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, I got that wrong. I understood Pentax got that 5-axes-SR too ... To bad they also stopped this development.

About the Lumix GH5 I wanted to see if Olympus-lenses 12-40/2.8 and 40-100/2.8 could do better in manual mode.
Yes, they do absolutely ... but, but, but ... they have no own SR.
Exception is the 12-100 / 4 but when I asked users on amazon everybody told me Panasonic SR does not cooperate with this Olympus-glass.
Thats no good news. Olympus lenses must be on Olympus-body to gain all 5 axes ..

Last edited by TomGarn; 07-26-2017 at 04:22 PM.
07-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nobody here who films with the Pentax KP at all ?

I can't believe all Pentaxians are completely desillusioned ... ;-)
08-01-2017, 06:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If I could find proof that the output could be recorded to my Shogun (via the certified dongle) I would have bought one already.

I think there's a lot of people underestimating how much value there is in the KP's light sensitivity for video - the Only other cameras out there that have the same useful ISO range, are Sony's A7s, A7s2, FS700 and FS7.

Even as the outgoing model, the A7s is about halfway between the price of the KP and the K-1, admittedly with FF sensor, but with No stabilization options - the 'big deal' for the Mark2 versions of the A7 range, was Sony's version of Sensor Shift.
Their works in video as well as stills, exactly the same as Panasonics on the M4/3 sensors.
(*Yes, the A7s2 got internal 4K, the A7s only does 4K externally)

Thing is, the KP is natively a "Super35" sized sensor, which means for HD footage, it matches the look of other Super35 cameras - BMD's, Red's, Kinefinity's, Arri's, Cions, Canon C-series - which in turn means it would slip seamlessly in to projects with those cameras, where the end to end workflow is HD.

The comment I always hear about my K-01, is how people love the colour reproduction.
It'd be nice to see the same colour accuracy in low light footage.
Even better if it was externally recorded 4K.

Think I'll be messaging CRKennedy to see if they want to 'sponsor' a KP based test shoot soon
08-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My point would be loving to use real lenses - parfocal / manual focus / possible zoom - directly on the KP
and forget about the GH5 - and Olympus - lenses - being varifocal and impossible to zoom.

But the optical aethetics in colour and resolution of known Pentax Cameras (up to now) are not high quality.
Yes, your police video looks better than K5 results - even at night time. But I see no equal quality to GH5 & Co.

What is still missing anyway is a lense with 8 x zoom at 2.8 minimum,
but that is true about all semiprofessional DSLR and DSLM yet ...
08-07-2017, 06:23 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With a suitable adaptor you can use all the Pentax lenses on most m4/3 / E mount cameras. Manual focus, but still perfectly useable.

Pentax just needs to up their video game, in areas that matter first.
As has been mentioned many, many times (last 5 years basically) they need to:

- Return Mechanical SR, (now found on Sony, Panasonic and Olympus cameras instead).
- Up the bit rate by a factor of 2 at least.
- Allow focus peaking and digital zoom to work during recording, (and maybe offer some customisation around this: sensitivity/colour etc).
- Add some real time blinkies/zebras to convey exposure.
- Sort a clean hdmi out that an external device can capture.

Sort that lot and their cameras will be significantly more useful, instantly.

Pushing these changes (suspected to be mostly software) out to everything existing too (at least K-3 and up) would go a long way to rewarding your (overly?) loyal customer base.
08-08-2017, 02:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most admired focus gimmicks are not needed, not wanted, and not even possible at manual parfocal lenses when you are searching outside MFT-gardens. We could call that a Pentax-Dream for halfway Pros without money or with the urge to go lightweighted on their run and gun field trips with alternative pro-equipment that is available in a thinkable niche of photocameras in our dreams only ...

Speedboosters on MFT yet offer the most usable pro-acess but leaves the plain and class of it's format with higher weight and budget.

Pentax would open up a new market if they fullfill certain wishes that some of us 23 loyals have still in mind and even here this vision is shared only partially.

Parfocal and fast lenses are wanted if you will not develop those semi-pro-dreams of focus-peaking and quick continous AF. But with them only you can zoom manually and get the best possible focus.

Recording outside the body is only second choice, best is a propper codec and high memory bodywise.

Yes, a robust 3 or 5 axis SR is a must inside the body as well. but Pentax yet has not reached a quality SR even in so called good K5 times. It is still shaky and impossible for good smooth panning. Well at least it is better than this ugly stupid electronic movie SR ...

Pentax will never go for high video dreams as we all know for 5 years now. You're right !

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-09-2017 at 11:13 AM.
08-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I use mine for a couple of situations - on a tripod in a studio with an ultrawide for talking to the camera, or for really low light stuff.

With external sound capture and using the slimport with a monitor for framing it's quite handy in a studio environment - but frankly the KP doesn't match my Oly Em5 for handheld shooting.