Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2017, 03:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I use mine for a couple of situations - on a tripod in a studio with an ultrawide for talking to the camera, or for really low light stuff.

With external sound capture and using the slimport with a monitor for framing it's quite handy in a studio environment - but frankly the KP doesn't match my Oly Em5 for handheld shooting.
Please show some video-links with KP footage if possible ... I still think of swapping my K5 for it to get the KP for low budget or back up.

My second thought on going for Olympus - even though it falls a little short compared to the Lumix GH5 in most disciplines. But the 2 main lenses are better on manual mode (12-40 and 40-150 / 2.8) ... (sadly still varifocal of course - as with all MFT-glass.)

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-10-2017 at 03:45 AM.
08-10-2017, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

I've been shooting for clients, so no to footage (there is a few videos on youtube, they give a reasonable idea of what it does), but realistically I wouldn't recommend a Kp for video - it's a great stills camera (albeit with a shallow buffer depth & small battery), but for video it really doesn't do anything special apart from high iso's. For a b camera to a gh5 I'd run with a panasonic gx85 or g85, maybe an oly em1ii or em5ii. Possibly even a canon 80d for a more stills oriented camera - Oly is more oriented to stills but does adequate video - the Kp is almost exclusively oriented towards stills.

I brought the Kp for stills, and I really like it for that - I just happen to use it for a few video things (almost exclusively with my 10-20).

If you want to shoot video without a tripod/stabiliser, and especially with any sort of camera movements I'd strongly recommend looking elsewhere.

As an aside - My Panny's (I have a couple of IR GX1's) ride Oly glass almost exclusively & vice versa -they should all be cross compatible.
08-14-2017, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your view on KP and Panasonic.
Of course Pentax is not even a video camera for beginners. It cannot compare in any segment.
But if you allready own Pentax components you want to switch from your old body to one with better minimal abilities. The K3 once almost offered the entrylevel of having at least manual ISO, shutter speed and soundlevel. Before that Pentax just worked automatically and was almost unusable for serious jobs.
But K3 was still poor in codec and without true image stabilisation -
so still no serious choice to any prosumer even if it came a little closer to the entrylevel ... but at the same time lost much codec-quality compared to the older K5.
Now the KP just won a few points in codec and maybe in low light but still got no IS worth its name.
The new grip is utter nonsense because it creates smaller batteries.
Foolish Pentax always plays with secondary new shapes, colors and gimmicks to gain superficial interests but does not lift the quality of minimal affordings ... sad old song.

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-14-2017 at 07:20 PM.
08-17-2017, 04:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
With a suitable adaptor you can use all the Pentax lenses on most m4/3 / E mount cameras. Manual focus, but still perfectly useable.
Yup.
Used my SMC KM/KA glass in front of A7s, FS-7, and GH-4, thinking of buying the G85, as I have Shogun, so don't need the extra datarates of the GH-5, but could do with the sensor shift in video.

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
Yes, your police video looks better than K5 results - even at night time. But I see no equal quality to GH5 & Co.
Thanks!, and, yeah, that's one of the other reasons why I'm looking at the G85.

My point would be loving to use real lenses - parfocal / manual focus / possible zoom - directly on the KP
I have a pair of push-pull style Sigma Zooms, of the same age as my Pentax Primes.
Both zooms retain focus as zoomed, and the 35-70 zoom was very nice on a mate-ette's GH4.

Recording outside the body is only second choice, best is a propper codec and high memory bodywise.
You've not used ProRes files in editing Tom?
Compared to the h.264, they're so much more flexible, and a PC that struggles doing multicam on four h.264 sources usually handles ProRes a lot better, so long as the drives are fast enough.

08-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah tried the G85 vs the GX85(?) and they're both really nice. Disappointing that Pentax don't address their video weaknesses, but can't wait forever for them to catch on to this.

Like others here, I have now completed paid work with a Pentax K-3, but you are very restrained to conditions that the Pentax can cope with.

As described many times before, a few tweaks would make all the difference.
08-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now two questions about Pentax glass on MFT (Focus must be manual always, anyway, yes)
1. Is that mostly suitable only for lenses with real aperture ring ? As far as I remember half-heartedly you need a more expensive adapter if lense is without a ring and to guide the f-stops externally per body or via adapter. Otherwise simple adapters can serve well enough along with fully classic photo-lenses. Right ?
2. How much will the image crop with Pentax APS-C on a MFT adapter ?

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-17-2017 at 12:10 PM.
08-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I personally wouldn't bother to use a modern apertureless k mount on an m43 camera. But then I only ever use about 3 lenses for video.

[2;3;4] [ff;apsc;m43] basically - so 10 on ff is like 15 on apsc is like 20 on m43