Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2017, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax K50 and video

Hello Everyone,

Since a lot of people have been complaining about the video quality of video footage captured on Pentax K 50 I decided to share some of my videos. I know it's no digital Arriflex, but honestly I don't think it's as horrible as some people are claiming. As many of you know, the trick is in turning off image stabilization or shake reduction.

Here is one test made with K50:

Don't forget to watch at 1920*1080.

Andrej

07-09-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You did a pretty good job there. It certainly works in the right situations if used properly.
07-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrej Cimerman Quote
Here is one test made with K50:
Good stuff, 'Natural' profile?
Will look forward to seeing what you get with the camera in motion too.
07-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's about working with the tools you've got. There's only enough data to handle a certain level of motion, so tripod mounted, with mostly static sky background is ideal.
As above, put the camera in motion, and with a more complex moving scene, and you'll hit the wall.
As you say though, the image is very nice. In HD land, Pentax were very close to being very good. Now they've lost that opportunity with 4K really coming on fast.

07-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Agree with all of the above but would add that I've always considered Pentax HD to be more akin to interpolated SD (720p). Take note of lines which are often jaggy (stepping).
Reduce your Pentax HD to 720p and it becomes much cleaner.
07-10-2017, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
You did a pretty good job there. It certainly works in the right situations if used properly.
Thanks, I will upload more soon.

---------- Post added 07-10-17 at 04:16 AM ----------

Thanks for the post. I always keep it in nature profile. I do have some videos with camera in motion as well and will post them soon.

---------- Post added 07-10-17 at 04:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Agree with all of the above but would add that I've always considered Pentax HD to be more akin to interpolated SD (720p). Take note of lines which are often jaggy (stepping).
Reduce your Pentax HD to 720p and it becomes much cleaner.
That is certainly worth looking into. Thanks. I haven't noticed and of the jagged lines when shooting on Biometar 120, so I sort of blamed the 135 SMC lens for being too sharp maybe?
07-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the cameras between K-5 and K-3 are as low as 720 lines, depending on lighting and lenses - it's very common for cameras to not actually be capable of resolving the detail that matches the output standard of the recorded files.

When the Sony EX-1 and EX-3 were launched, there were plenty of cammo's that praised them and hung shit on the Panasonic HPX-500 series, as the HPX's used Pixel-Shift (where the Red and Blue sensors are mounted half a pixel to the side and above that of the Green sensor, synthesizing the pixels between lines from data interpolation between the Red/Blue lines and the Green lines) letting it use sensors that for each colour would only output around 800 lines, but when combined were capable of higher then 1080.
Mean while, the Sony fanboys were crowing about the "Real 1080" output of the EX series, completely unaware that they were actually 960p sensors and up-rezzed in the camera to 1080p.
JVC was doing something similar, where they'd gone 720p, and everyone else went 1080p, so they upscaled in the camera until they developed true 1080p sensors.

This is one of the reasons that 4K is so useful, as when it's down-scaled to HD on export from the editing software, it produces 1080p that is MUCH sharper then cameras that shoot in 1080.

07-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrej Cimerman Quote
I haven't noticed and of the jagged lines when shooting on Biometar 120, so I sort of blamed the 135 SMC lens for being too sharp maybe?
Watch this sample I shot sometime ago. Straight out of the camera at 1080p. Notice first the cat's whiskers, and although youtube recompression has softened the IQ somewhat, the facial fur has some artifacting which it due to the same issue. It's clear to see what appears to be 'line skipping' in order to reduce the data rates the low powered processor needs to deal with. Definitely not clean and real 1080p.

View on youtube at 1080p