Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2017, 12:05 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Series of landscape&nature video's with a K-3

The idea behind this series is to highlight the 'good stuff' in our landscape and nature and link that to a person that has a intimate knowledge or a special bond with the place I am filming. A lot of the nature news we report on does not entice people to develop a bit of affection for their local nature&landscape. Either nature is under threat or nature is a threat! So I was set loose 'into the wild' with my K-3, DA*16-50, DFA150-450, lots of ND-filters, a Røde microphone and a Gitzo ocean sytematic tripod with a video fluid head. For each video I had one day to shoot and one day to edit; first alone and later on with a video editor. I did use some of my own free time to get wat I wanted. The results have been broadcasted and can be seen here: De Stille Genieter | Omrop Fryslân

Cheers,

Remco

07-09-2017, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Series of landscape&nature video's with a K-3
Super. Great work. Thanks for sharing.
07-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Super. Great work. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I forgot to mention I used a lavalier type microphone for the interviews.
07-09-2017, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for sharing with us.

07-10-2017, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
The results have been broadcasted and can be seen here: De Stille Genieter | Omrop Fryslân
Mate, they should be using this stuff to sell Pentax Cameras.

These shots really show of the camera well, sound is crystal clear with good balance between the live sound, the dialog, and the backing music.
Looks like you've nailed the exposure in the vast majority of shots - there's some I'd have blown out the sky more in favor of detail in the shadows, but it's a creative choice, not a technical critique.

I can see where the compression used by the site is limiting things, far more then the camera.

You should grab the original exports from the NLE, and upload them to Youtube with subtitle/caption in English.

That sort of shooting - it's another reason why we love DSLR's and MILC's for video - because carrying the mass of a large digital cinema camera and support gear out in to those locations would be back-breaking.
07-10-2017, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Thank you so much for sharing with us.
You are most welcome and thanks for enjoying my work.

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Mate, they should be using this stuff to sell Pentax Cameras.

These shots really show of the camera well, sound is crystal clear with good balance between the live sound, the dialog, and the backing music.
Looks like you've nailed the exposure in the vast majority of shots - there's some I'd have blown out the sky more in favor of detail in the shadows, but it's a creative choice, not a technical critique.

I can see where the compression used by the site is limiting things, far more then the camera.

You should grab the original exports from the NLE, and upload them to Youtube with subtitle/caption in English.

That sort of shooting - it's another reason why we love DSLR's and MILC's for video - because carrying the mass of a large digital cinema camera and support gear out in to those locations would be back-breaking.
You have hit the nail on the head so to speak. I could not do this stuff with my 'normal' camjo set. It is just to big, to heavy and does not have the option to attach another lens... I had to cover a murder today with my 'company' Sony PMW-100 today and for working right out of the boot of my car it is okay. But I was glad they send a cameraman with a ENG-camera later on. (I needed somebody with Live-U for the live stand-up segment.) The camera itself isn' that heavy, but the whole package somehow ends up quite unwieldy.

The compression is annoying. I found one of the four I made on Youtube. Here:
Unfortunately I don't have the time to give Pentax a break by making this stuff more accessible to a wider audience. That is further complicated by the fact that I don't have the rights (my employer has) and it there are rules that prohibit using publicly funded material for a commercial purpose without compensation. I once tried to alert Pentax trough Facebook to my work but that didn't register.
07-12-2017, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Using the Live-U needs a functional video output from the camera,..... we don't have that from the HDMI yet.

ENG is great ergonomics for the work it's designed to do, it's just way too heavy to go traipsing through the wilderness with unless you're a full time Documentarian..

10-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice work. Enjoyed that! nice editing and storytelling.
yes, i could understand. most of it at least -

Last edited by grispie; 10-17-2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: remove
10-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well done, and thanks for sharing. Great stuff.
10-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Using the Live-U needs a functional video output from the camera,..... we don't have that from the HDMI yet.

ENG is great ergonomics for the work it's designed to do, it's just way too heavy to go traipsing through the wilderness with unless you're a full time Documentarian..
Sorry for the late response! Work and a holiday with limited internet acces are my excuses... And your are right although I've seen a leading nature filmer in our country use a rather big set up with a Red camera and very long lens requiring a really big tripod.

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Very nice work. Enjoyed that! nice editing and storytelling.
yes, i could understand. most of it at least -
Thanks Christophe! There a plenty of Dutch people claiming they don't understand Frisian at all. Perhaps living in a bilingual country does have it's advantages and gives you an edge in understanding other languages.

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Well done, and thanks for sharing. Great stuff.
Thanks! I earn good money sharing this stuff and I like this part of my work. So I like sharing it here. If only to show that quality can be achieved with our equipment. And much of that has to do with using good lenses.

Cheers,

Remco