Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #31
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got a B&H email today Bruce, the one with the articles, not just a 'what's on special' type of email. In it is this article: Running Around with the Zoom F1 Field Recorder | B&H Explora that reminded me of the thread you'd started about video mics etc. Through B&H they offer this beastie with a Lav mike or a shotgun mike. For the presentations I reckon the Lav might be good if you can get them to wear it, and that shotgun mike might come in very handy too. But as previously stated there's plenty of people who know way more about this stuff so ignoring my suggestions here is a logical choice.

I also noticed you were asking about video monopods. I have a couple of monopods including a fluid monopod from Manfrotto, the MVM250A: Manfrotto MVM250A Video Monopod | Digital Camera Warehouse I also ended up getting a fluid head but instead of a straight video head I went with one that could be used for stills as well: Manfrotto MH055M8-Q5 Magnesium Photo/Video Pan Head | Digital Camera Warehouse Of course this meant it was a lot more money than a number of other options but I was actually after a head that would give me a more flexible set up for sports/action stills and if need be, video if I should ever get into it.

Anyhoo, thought you'd be interested.

Tas

03-11-2018, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

I record videos for my Udemy.com courses with my Pentax K1 camera and an adapted Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 lens. I record at 1080p at 24fps (sometimes 30fps).

Udemy has a maximum file size that I can upload - 4GB. That's equal to about 25 minutes of recording. I've not recorded for 25 minutes continuously yet, but have done 15 - 20 minutes a few times, with no problems with overheating.

For sound I use a Rode Broadcaster Condenser Microphone. I set up my camera about 10 feet from where I sit. You always want the microphone very near the speaker. I have the microphone on a long cord (15 foot) and the microphone is held by a stand that sits on the desk just a few inches in front of me.

For the best quality sound you need to run your mic into a pre-amp before it goes into the K1. This is the pre-amp that I use and it works great - Beachtek DXA-MICRO-PRO Active XLR Compact Adapter
03-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I got a B&H email today Bruce, the one with the articles, not just a 'what's on special' type of email. In it is this article: Running Around with the Zoom F1 Field Recorder | B&H Explora that reminded me of the thread you'd started about video mics etc. Through B&H they offer this beastie with a Lav mike or a shotgun mike. For the presentations I reckon the Lav might be good if you can get them to wear it, and that shotgun mike might come in very handy too. But as previously stated there's plenty of people who know way more about this stuff so ignoring my suggestions here is a logical choice.

I also noticed you were asking about video monopods. I have a couple of monopods including a fluid monopod from Manfrotto, the MVM250A: Manfrotto MVM250A Video Monopod | Digital Camera Warehouse I also ended up getting a fluid head but instead of a straight video head I went with one that could be used for stills as well: Manfrotto MH055M8-Q5 Magnesium Photo/Video Pan Head | Digital Camera Warehouse Of course this meant it was a lot more money than a number of other options but I was actually after a head that would give me a more flexible set up for sports/action stills and if need be, video if I should ever get into it.

Anyhoo, thought you'd be interested.

Tas
Thanks Tas, I'll read that article later.

Yesterday was indeed the actual 'day' for the video/recording event. I honestly have no idea how it really all went, not until I review footage properly and start the editing process.
I ended up with 3 Smartlav+ mics, but only 2 phones to use (two of my own), the sound files were around 0.5-1gb each, if I used other peoples phones (speakers or hosts of the event) it presented problems in getting the sound files off quickly after the event, and I couldn't exactly keep their phones awhile, I kinda need some more cheap phones lol.
One phone + mic for the speakers, one for the presenters. But it still presented some audio gaps on the day. We had a surprise local MP guest speaker, who took the Microphone (but not my mic!) and proceeded to talk for 2-3mins, so not sure any of that footage will work :/ And then there was Q&A time, the audience members questions will be hard to hear (due to no mic), but we tried to make sure the question was repeated by the speaker so that everyone could hear the question, but there was still the odd occasion the speaker didn't really repeat the question.

Getting a proper mic on the camera might be something I eventually have to do. Thing is, this particular gig is very low pay, Yesterdays gig I didn't make a dime seeing as I needed to buy more Smartlav+ mics anyway... I know there are many better solutions to recording this event (and juggling a 20-25min timer on the two cameras during a two 40min presentation is annoying af!) but I can't really justify buying whole new equipment (video and audio) for such a low paying endeavour. Right now I'm weighing up my reputation really vs cost.

The experience itself taught me that I don't really like videoing, there's something missing for me, like still images I get excited about reviewing and seeing, video feels a little 'flat' for me. It was tiring as well, as all I could do was monopod a K-1 for two blocks of 30-40mins... definitely felt my core system get tired and fatigued in a harder way than taking stills ever could.

I'll check out those manfrottos you linked also, once again thanks for the post.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I record videos for my Udemy.com courses with my Pentax K1 camera and an adapted Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 lens. I record at 1080p at 24fps (sometimes 30fps).

Udemy has a maximum file size that I can upload - 4GB. That's equal to about 25 minutes of recording. I've not recorded for 25 minutes continuously yet, but have done 15 - 20 minutes a few times, with no problems with overheating.

For sound I use a Rode Broadcaster Condenser Microphone. I set up my camera about 10 feet from where I sit. You always want the microphone very near the speaker. I have the microphone on a long cord (15 foot) and the microphone is held by a stand that sits on the desk just a few inches in front of me.

For the best quality sound you need to run your mic into a pre-amp before it goes into the K1. This is the pre-amp that I use and it works great - Beachtek DXA-MICRO-PRO Active XLR Compact Adapter
Overheating was starting to kick in on the second run. The first speaker was a longer one, his entire talk + Q&A ran to a little over 45mins. I had to stop the A roll camera (KP tripodded) at around 20min mark and restart, and then I had to unfortunately stop it one last time before restarting again for the final 2-3mins (grrr). The B Roll (K-1 monopod) was toggling off and on as I changed position to record throughout the speech, but at the end of both talks my cameras were definitely hot. I ejected the warm batteries, but new fresh cool ones in and they had a break for about 10mins before the next presenter and speaker took the stage, this time a quicker talk of around 30mins.
So I think swapping batteries definitely helps, I doubt on one battery you could do three runs in a row (of 25mins each). I would say twice is the max, with a battery change and if possible some turn off time.

I used Smartlav+ mics and phones for audio (^ see above).
03-11-2018, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well done. Agree videoing is a different field, different mindset, and different sort of pressure than stills.

To be honest, a DSLR is not ideal for long takes such as this, unless you absolutely need some of the strengths, such as a narrow depth of field or low light abilities. Pentax isn't ideal for these either, given there are few aids for focussing when recording, and the bit rate is low, which means low light isn't it's strong point anyway as high ISO noise really cuts in.

Monopods with feet help, but really you want something wide to cut in with something close up/quite different angle. Sound is another aspect, which I hope comes off for you. Good sound really helps set you apart from the rest.

Re questions not being heard, can you overlay these in text, so it's clear to the viewer what the question was? Might work ok, depends on the edit.

Congrats on giving this a go though. It's a great taster to see if you like it. I think it's a very useful skill, but underrated given the amount of work required, and the pressures of capturing live vs stills that can often be re staged.
Good luck with the edit.

03-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Well done. Agree videoing is a different field, different mindset, and different sort of pressure than stills.

To be honest, a DSLR is not ideal for long takes such as this, unless you absolutely need some of the strengths, such as a narrow depth of field or low light abilities. Pentax isn't ideal for these either, given there are few aids for focussing when recording, and the bit rate is low, which means low light isn't it's strong point anyway as high ISO noise really cuts in.

Monopods with feet help, but really you want something wide to cut in with something close up/quite different angle. Sound is another aspect, which I hope comes off for you. Good sound really helps set you apart from the rest.

Re questions not being heard, can you overlay these in text, so it's clear to the viewer what the question was? Might work ok, depends on the edit.

Congrats on giving this a go though. It's a great taster to see if you like it. I think it's a very useful skill, but underrated given the amount of work required, and the pressures of capturing live vs stills that can often be re staged.
Good luck with the edit.
Thanks.

I'm lucky really, in that I get to try such things in an event that is very laid back and chilled, the organisers my close friends whom also understand the predicament I and they (we lol) are all in. They can't afford to pay someone proper to do videoing on a steady basis, but also understand my perspective of trying to make do with what we have and spend as little as possible. It may well be we just do pod casts (because audio capture should not be an issue at all) and then stills for post promotion. The only issue is with pod casts is some stuff might not make sense when referring to a projector screen etc. We'll see. Perhaps a Youtube audio capture with stills of their projector might be enough (ie get their Powerpoint presentation and try and sync that with the audio). So we have a few options if this video capture was too amateurish.
04-01-2018, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #36
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce me old mate, no need to thank me now, but I think I've found your microphone solution, it comes from Rode out of Sydney.

RØDE presents The RØDELink Performer Kit Karaoke Edition | Photo Rumors

There's more details for it on the Rode website: http://www.rode.com/wireless/performer-karaoke Interesting that they launched this on 31 March.

I can see you getting use out of this at home as well.

Tas
04-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Bruce me old mate, no need to thank me now, but I think I've found your microphone solution, it comes from Rode out of Sydney.

RØDE presents The RØDELink Performer Kit Karaoke Edition | Photo Rumors

There's more details for it on the Rode website: RØDE Microphones - Performer Kit Karaoke Edition Interesting that they launched this on 31 March.

I can see you getting use out of this at home as well.

Tas
I'm now saturated with April Fools stunts!

04-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #38
Forum Member

and the bit rate is low, which means low light isn't it's strong point anyway as high ISO noise really cuts in.
Can you explain this? Aren't the frames downsampled prior to being impacted by bitrate? Isn't gathering more light from a larger sensor going to be the determining factor for noise? I thought the IQ issues with Pentax video had to do with compression/softness/artifacts, not noise.
04-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #39
Pentaxian

You can't raise the ISO very high in video mode, before it turns to noisy mush. Try it and see what you find.
04-14-2018, 06:38 AM   #40
Forum Member

Oh, I believe you... I was just hoping you could explain the relationship between noise and bitrate, because I thought noise was related entirely to other things.

I have a k-7, which does not, I think, suffer from quite the same set of problems... I don't think its picture at maximum ISO is terrible compared to the stills. Actually I'd say you can get away with more because of the motion.
04-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Noise in a captured video isn't bit rate related. It relates to the same thing as in a still image - amount of light/exposure time/sensor noise. In video, exposure time is more restrained and can never be more than the time between frames (usually considerably less) so when there is an absence of light, the only way to compensate is to increase electronic gain (increase the effective ISO), and up goes noise (same when you manually increase the ISO). Whatever that produces is digitized (with the noise in the signal) to get a standard bit rate for whatever system is being used.

In still photography, exposure time can be increased which partially overcomes electronic noise issues. The best solution in either case is to have a faster lens (which increases the amount of light) but, of course, there are limitations on how fast a lens can be, and lenses loose image quality & DOF at wider openings as well. It's a conundrum.

Using fewer bits in digitizing can lead to "noisy" images (and other things), and sometimes when bandwidth is limited, fewer bits are used (lower bit rates), but in a wired wideband connection (as with the K-1) this doesn't apply.

Last edited by Bob 256; 04-14-2018 at 10:49 AM.
04-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Agree videoing is a different field, different mindset, and different sort of pressure than stills.
You'd be amazed mate, at the number of Stills-Shooters who don't see there's a difference, and expect to be better then every Videographer, just because they can take good Stills.

You can't raise the ISO very high in video mode, before it turns to noisy mush. Try it and see what you find.
Spot on.

800 ISO for most Pentax bodies, 1600 if it's 'Newsworthy', the KP goes to 3200 with the same level of noise as the rest at 800, because of the higher data rate.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canid Quote
Can you explain this? Aren't the frames downsampled prior to being impacted by bitrate? Isn't gathering more light from a larger sensor going to be the determining factor for noise? I thought the IQ issues with Pentax video had to do with compression/softness/artifacts, not noise.
What a lot of people describe as 'noise' on Mpeg4 based devices, is actually colour blotching and compression artifacts, which grow rapidly as the ISO is raised, as there is too much data for the CoDec to handle.

You won't see true 'sensor noise' until you shoot on a camera capable of recording to ProRes or CineDNG raw
Sensor noise is the visual equivalent of background hiss in sound recordings.