Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2018, 11:57 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
My take (from extensive experience)

Throw this on the K1, and be done with what goes on the K1 - RØDE Microphones - VideoMicro

When it comes to events, getting a lav on the speakers or a wireless mic up close to them is the best way to go. There is no shotgun mic around that is going to erase unwanted noise, as a lav mic up close to the person speaking. That is the best way forward.

Invest in a simple wireless lav setup to an external recorder. Then in Adobe Premier or other application match the audio to the track that was captured with the K1.

Heck, most times I just leave the K1 as is, as the audio is good enough for the "scratch track" to match to.

Buy a Zoom H6 - Zoom H6 Handy Recorder with Interchangeable Microphone System H6

Buy a Sony Wireless lav transmitter and receiver - Sony UWP-D11 Integrated Digital Wireless Bodypack UWPD11/14 B&H

Buy a Sony Wireless handheld mic on the same frequency so you can use the same receiver when you need to have someone "hand off" or "hand around" the mic -

This - Sony UWP-D16 Integrated Digital Plug-on & Lavalier UWPD16/14

Or This - Sony 2-Channel Receiver with Bodypack and Handheld Microphone

Some K1 - interviews alongside a Sony FS7 - Why Collaborate 18 with Michelle Kolbe - YouTube
Good to see some footage, thanks for that.

01-02-2018, 12:06 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Good to see some footage, thanks for that.
Thanks.

Don't believe the folks that say the K1 is "terrible" at video.
The K1 works right along side my FS7, A6500, Osmo, GoPros and whatever else.
The K1 is a fine camera.

01-11-2018, 01:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Has anyone used a Gyro thingy with a K-1/KP? I'm trying to gather information for an event later this year. I may need to have two cameras running, one from the side capturing audience and speaker, another one head on, on person to capture another angle as well as more importantly projector screen info etc. Handheld will look terrible unless I can somewhat minimise the shake. People... I am not shooting a film, just a local community event, but if there is a Gyro type set up that works with a dslr (something like this; Zhiyun-Tech Crane v2 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer ZYC B&H) then that's within our budget etc.

I might post this question separately as well depending upon the response (or lack thereof) here
01-11-2018, 01:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Monopod might be more useful in that instance?

01-11-2018, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone used a Gyro thingy with a K-1/KP? I'm trying to gather information for an event later this year. I may need to have two cameras running, one from the side capturing audience and speaker, another one head on, on person to capture another angle as well as more importantly projector screen info etc. Handheld will look terrible unless I can somewhat minimise the shake. People... I am not shooting a film, just a local community event, but if there is a Gyro type set up that works with a dslr (something like this; Zhiyun-Tech Crane v2 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer ZYC B&H) then that's within our budget etc.

I might post this question separately as well depending upon the response (or lack thereof) here
I've used both a Ronin for the K3/K1 - and it's HEAVY.
I've used a Zhiyun Crane along with my Sony A6500 - the opening shot below is with the A6500 and the Z-Crane on a monopod -

To be honest, if you are not actively moving around as part of the shot, a dSLR on a video monopod might be best. From your description, you seem to be able to get away with tripods and just do a regular shoot?

If anything maybe all you need is some B-Roll to make it dynamic and that is why you want something to stabilize a camera?
01-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Monopod might be more useful in that instance?
Having never tried it I woulda thought a significant degree of camera shake would still come into play no?

I've used a Zhiyun Crane along with my Sony A6500 - the opening shot below is with the A6500 and the Z-Crane on a monopod -

To be honest, if you are not actively moving around as part of the shot, a dSLR on a video monopod might be best. From your description, you seem to be able to get away with tripods and just do a regular shoot?

If anything maybe all you need is some B-Roll to make it dynamic and that is why you want something to stabilize a camera?
Is a video Monopod different to a regular monopod? And I have no idea what B-Roll is so here I am showing my complete and utter lack of knowledge in this regard.

I shall attempt to illustrate (with pictures) the event room and situation that I am faced with filming this year (a series of them).

For the past year or more I have been snapping pictures for a friends initiative called 'Science at the Local', it is a free community event that involves the general public sitting down with a pint listening to various speakers give a talk about their field of specialty followed by some Q&A afterwards. The pictures I have taken have been useful in post promotion for their fb pages etc. It's been quite a success even drawing in some big names and fancier speakers such as Australia's Tim Low and fancier venues.
My friends the organizers are now thinking with the idea of capturing the talks on video and making available on youtube etc, so they're looking into the feasibility of doing this. They are sponsored and do get a small budget but really there's not much in the pot that I'm really getting 'paid' for this, it's community out reach stuff. They're aware I have zero video-graphing experience but they also realise that they won't be able to afford a proper one, so we're just trying to spend funds as wisely as possible.

Below is the room that we shall be using for the year, I know the manager of the club very well also, here's some sample pictures taken to give an idea of what I'm working with;

Ha! That age demographic is not always like that, there is often young people in the audience also! Honest! hehe

More pictures can be found here (but involve different venues, the pics above show what I have to work with this year)

I have a Lav+ and iphone, hopefully the speaker will be able to carry and wear this to record the audio. The speakers sometimes use a mic, sometimes not, a mic often is handed around during Q&A time to the audience, or if not the speaker repeats the audience members question again so all can hear clearly.

My initial thoughts is that I have two cameras, a K-1 and KP. For the KP I have the DA15mm (and a Sigma 10-20mm if that's not enough). I have a small tripod with a 'proper' video head (Velbon FHD-61QN 2-Way Fluid Pan Head FHD 61QN B&H Photo Video), I was going to sit the the KP with the DA15mm on this towards the far side, something to capture the speaker and audience (like in the first pic).

Then I would need to operate the second camera (K1) with perhaps my FA50mm or DFA100mm (that's all I got), and have this one more 'flexible', definitely covering the projector and when editing make sure that the footage swaps to this camera where ever heavy talk is concerned around the projector/slideshow.

The last picture illustrates I could probably manage this from the side, I'd like to avoid the middle aisle as much as possible as people do tend to come and go and I'd block some peoples view from the very middle. My issue is I know I won't do a good job handheld, a monopod will help but I still thing a degree of shake will come in, hence why I thought about a Gyro type thing.

After doing my first wedding this year, I can also see how in future wedding events I could wire up the best mans speech and record that moment, once again moving freely and smoothing to pan and capture audience laughs and reactions would definitely be an advantage also, so all of this stuff is also kinda practice for me for real serious cash monies events down the road

Does any of this help give an idea of what might be a solution? The talks last around 45mins in total (with the Q&A's included).

Cheers,

Bruce

PS: Oh nice video by the way!
01-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

If you want no movement at all, then use a tripod. If it's all static, then the type of head isn't that important (fluid head will help with smooth pans/tilts, but not as important if you want it fixed/static/locked in place).

If you need movement, (like you're following someone talking down a hall way/street, or in a moving vehicle for example), then a gimbal helps to minimise this. I don't think a large DSLR gimbal is a sensible choice for a long talk, where you're not actually intending to be moving though. It will be expensive and heavy.

If you want to be able to move to different spots on the fly, and feel a tripod is too bulky to achieve this (might bump into people, or takes too long to collapse and reassemble at next location) then a monopod can help provide some stabilisation whilst still being portable. A shoulder rig would be another option along the same lines, giving some stabilisation but also being portable.

B Roll is what you've described with your projector. It's non core stuff that you can cut in to provide different angles/different content. It's also often where you can get most creative, shooting through things, framing artisitc like, narrow depth of field, slow motion, closeups etc.

All the best. Make sure you have good audio is something I'd suggest also. Great pictures by the way too.

01-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So many things happen with presentations like this...it's hard to write down all the experience over the years, and give you a heads up about all the things that go wrong.

Sometimes people want a recording of the entire presentation, sometimes just highlights, sometimes just the person who is "paying".

Since you are shooting on dSLRs remember that there will be a time limit to the amount of video you can make before the camera will shut off. The K3 was/is VERY fast when you hit the record button, the K1 is almost as fast, I have no experience with the KP. If you set the cameras up, go for a safety of 10 minutes and make sure that at least one camera is offset from that 10 minutes so you have a camera to cut to. Otherwise you are going to have a momentary blank. dSLRs are not designed for recording long presentations, so you might want to go and get a cheapy video camera that does 1080p/60 at your local electronic's store to cover the bases if you need to record the entire presentation.

Use a color chart for all the cameras so you can match color/white balance in post.

Goodness...like I said, there are way too many things to write down over the years.

Sound - have either lavs, mics or mounted mics to get the sound, and make sure that whoever is talking is talking into something. If a presenter doesn't like to use a mic because people can hear him/her - you are going to have a bad day in post.

The presenters - sometimes people are "walkers" and some are "Podium plants". You never know what is going to happen, so you might have to follow the person around.

Remember that cheap video camera? Make it a wide shot, and forget it, so you get a safety.

If you can, use a recorder that accepts a few XLR inputs like the Zoom H6. Ditch that iPhone solution - it sounds cool, but it will give you headaches in post.

If you are in that room you showed us, you aren't going to have to worry too much about light since it seems to be lit from the side. Since the room also looks like it is tight, you won't have much ability to setup tripods without having a tripping hazard, so your only option might be to setup in the back. DFA 100 as your longest lens? Not gonna cut it as you will need at least something to a 70-200/50-135 to get the reach.

Again, go online, grab a cheapy Sigma 100-300 or an old Pentax 100-300 so you have some reach if you're going to be in the back.

Lots and lots of things, and many moving parts to something like this.

This was when I was doing recordings with all Pentax gear -

This was when the FS7 (and Sony) started to replace cameras in my workflow because Pentax was not making something with higher frame rates, and I needed a true 'video camera'.

Even more has changed these days.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 01-12-2018 at 12:00 AM.
01-12-2018, 01:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So many things happen with presentations like this...it's hard to write down all the experience over the years, and give you a heads up about all the things that go wrong.

Sometimes people want a recording of the entire presentation, sometimes just highlights, sometimes just the person who is "paying".

Since you are shooting on dSLRs remember that there will be a time limit to the amount of video you can make before the camera will shut off. The K3 was/is VERY fast when you hit the record button, the K1 is almost as fast, I have no experience with the KP. If you set the cameras up, go for a safety of 10 minutes and make sure that at least one camera is offset from that 10 minutes so you have a camera to cut to. Otherwise you are going to have a momentary blank. dSLRs are not designed for recording long presentations, so you might want to go and get a cheapy video camera that does 1080p/60 at your local electronic's store to cover the bases if you need to record the entire presentation.

Use a color chart for all the cameras so you can match color/white balance in post.

Goodness...like I said, there are way too many things to write down over the years.

Sound - have either lavs, mics or mounted mics to get the sound, and make sure that whoever is talking is talking into something. If a presenter doesn't like to use a mic because people can hear him/her - you are going to have a bad day in post.

The presenters - sometimes people are "walkers" and some are "Podium plants". You never know what is going to happen, so you might have to follow the person around.

Remember that cheap video camera? Make it a wide shot, and forget it, so you get a safety.

If you can, use a recorder that accepts a few XLR inputs like the Zoom H6. Ditch that iPhone solution - it sounds cool, but it will give you headaches in post.

If you are in that room you showed us, you aren't going to have to worry too much about light since it seems to be lit from the side. Since the room also looks like it is tight, you won't have much ability to setup tripods without having a tripping hazard, so your only option might be to setup in the back. DFA 100 as your longest lens? Not gonna cut it as you will need at least something to a 70-200/50-135 to get the reach.

Again, go online, grab a cheapy Sigma 100-300 or an old Pentax 100-300 so you have some reach if you're going to be in the back.

Lots and lots of things, and many moving parts to something like this.

This was when I was doing recordings with all Pentax gear -

This was when the FS7 (and Sony) started to replace cameras in my workflow because Pentax was not making something with higher frame rates, and I needed a true 'video camera'.

Even more has changed these days.

Thanks for the pics and info!

Yes, some speakers become very animated using the entire stage, some fairly stationary and still. The animated ones proved challenging when taking pics so I imagine the same for video

This is still a community initiative, not for profit and as such I don't think our members are expecting very much. I don't think half the audience would have the technology to view 4K let alone know what it is For now I will be making do with my current equipment and spending no more, any equipment purchasing I think I would like to base around smooth panning/movement such as a Gyro or some sort, this for using at weddings also.

My equipment was stated above but it's a K-1 and KP with DFA100, FA 50mm (I actually have a second 50mm also), DA15mm, DA 40mm XS and Sigma 10-20. I don't think I'll need longer than 100mm, not for this event or size of room, if you view the last picture I showed, that was taken from the side and covered the speaker and projector (which would be the aim of the 'B Roll') and was taken with the 50mm. This angle is probably preferable, the back of the theatre often actually has kids playing etc so I'd rather stay clear of that and as I said before the main aisle.
For recording it's the LAV+ with either Android or iPhone I believe, I have both, I was advised earlier that this clipped to the speaker is good enough.

The KP from the side with DA15mm or Sigma 10-20mm with a narrow aperture so that I can kinda 'set and leave' this one without panning at all, the K-1 on my person, either Monopodding or a Gyro, that's kinda what I'm trying to decide on.

Superb advice about colour chart and 10min buffer time between cameras.

I just read the manual and both the K-1 and KP are said to be 25mins or 4gb as the limit for the .mov files. I'm imagining the 4gb file size limit is to do with the format of the sd cards and that recording 1080p you get a 4gb size file in 25mins? I'll have to test this. I might for example get away fine with 720p if this then doubles the recording time to closer to 50mins (but still a 4gb file). Some testing to do.

I really think a Gyro type gizmo that I can hold is what I am after, especially when in future doing weddings. People are unpredictable in those events, you need to be able to pan and capture moments quickly (but still smoothly), it might be overkill for this event and a monopod will do, but it might give a slight artistic touch to the event to do some slow walking and panning around during the event as well, rather than just two fairly stationary fixed views.
01-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did a small test the other day with the KP, set it to record at 720p and it managed 25mins as the menu said, I was a little disappointed. I thought 25mins was 1080p, I was hoping perhaps 720p might get a little more time but alas no. I have no idea what 1080p will get in terms of runtime, perhaps it's the same? Thing is the 720p was also a 4gb file (3.94 to be precise), could it be the bitrate is just higher with 720p files and lower with 1080? Or is the 1080p only gonna get 10mins or so before capping out at the 4gb file size? More testing needs to be done.

The other major concern is once the 720p recording got to 25mins the camera showed the message that it will now force shutdown to prevent damage to the camera due to overheating etc (or words to that effect), indeed it was warm! I didn't try to force it/toggle the on and off switch to try and bring it back on immediately but that's a little concerning for my project if I can only record for 25mins then I have to wait 5mins before I can then use that same camera to start recording another 25mins :/
The battery was also pretty much used up completely, I'm not sure if it was fully charged to begin with but I have a feeling after every 25min recording a new battery is required. I don't know either whether I can toggle the screen off whilst recording to preserve battery life and lesson the heat issue?

Definitely some awareness and camera swapping needs to be well planned out for me to not have any gaps in recording a 40min talk. When nearing the 25min mark for camera A (A Roll?) I will need to mount the B Roll and make sure it can cover A Roll's recording gap, so perhaps whatever Gyro or thingy I end up utilizing for the B Roll can smoothly dock onto a tripod or at least dismount quickly so that I can tripod it during dealing with A Roll.

I'll update as I continue to do more tests.
01-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Worth addressing a few points here:

The time limit stems from a 2006 EU tax decision, that classed high end cameras as video cameras, if they could record longer than that in one go. It's got nothing to do with resolution, so 720p will get you a smaller file size, but not a longer run time.

I wouldn't record at anything under 1080p nowadays, so suggest keeping that at 1080p and at the highest quality (*** 3 stars is best from memory).

It's been mentioned before, but your intended subject matter would be better served with a basic handicam type camera, where it can happily record for hours straight.

I get that you are keen on a stabilised gimbal, but I don't think that your subject matter warrants it in this case.
01-18-2018, 01:19 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Worth addressing a few points here:

The time limit stems from a 2006 EU tax decision, that classed high end cameras as video cameras, if they could record longer than that in one go. It's got nothing to do with resolution, so 720p will get you a smaller file size, but not a longer run time.

I wouldn't record at anything under 1080p nowadays, so suggest keeping that at 1080p and at the highest quality (*** 3 stars is best from memory).

It's been mentioned before, but your intended subject matter would be better served with a basic handicam type camera, where it can happily record for hours straight.

I get that you are keen on a stabilised gimbal, but I don't think that your subject matter warrants it in this case.
Really? A Tax decision and not hardware restrictions? Why is it then broadly applied to other countries not within the EU such as USA and Australia? How interesting...

Today I did a 1080p run and it too came to 4gb and 25mins, the same as 720p, however I noticed that the 720p shot at 60fps (I really thought I set it to 30fps to accurately compare with a 1080p file), but yes I agree that shooting 720p is cutting it fine nowadays and that 1080p should be the minimum (however as pointed out earlier here or elsewhere our Aussie internet is abysmal, many around these parts cannot even stream 720p successfully).

Interestingly as well, after the 25min 1080p clip was finished, I was good to record again, whereas the 720p 60fps clip the camera was hot and wanted to shut down to cool down. Some more testing to do here.
01-18-2018, 04:56 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The time limit stems from a 2006 EU tax decision, that classed high end cameras as video cameras. if they could record longer than that in one go. It's got nothing to do with resolution, so 720p will get you a smaller file size, but not a longer run time.
Actually resolution is a factor;
...when such apparatus are capable, using the maximum storage capacity, of capturing video in a quality of 800 x 600 pixels (or higher) at 23 frames per second (or higher) for a continuous period of at least 30 minutes (regardless of the fact that the captured video images may be recorded in separate files of a duration of less than 30 minutes (see also Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 876/2014)) they are always to be classified in subheadings 8525 80 91 or 8525 80 99.
Tariff Notice 21 (2016): Digital cameras and video camera recorders - GOV.UK

As mentioned above, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc are NOT members of the EU therefore the tax would NOT apply so neither would any restriction.
However, I would readily believe the limited recording time is more likely there to prevent damage from high internal temperaturesd (thus protecting the manufacture from potentially thousands more warranty claims) . Over-heating IS born out by empirical evidence. As DLSRs and MFT bodies have been getting more compact and filled with more high end tech including sensors pushed to their High ISO limits, and SD card writing even faster heat is even more of a concern than it was in 2006. There is zero ventilation inside camera bodies, esp the sealed bodies.
A camcorder makes much better sense for long periods of unbroken video recording - many have cooling fans.
01-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Great point Steve, bad wording above on my point. I was aiming to convey that changing the resolution on your Pentax won't allow you to record for longer periods, as the 30min limit exists regardless.

File system limits could be a relevant point, but it's going to be fixed at 30min max either way.

The concern came from devices being able to make a high quality copy of material. Local freeview TV recorder/DVR's had similar limiting features applied to them, so they couldn't move a saved TV file off the device, and analogue outputs were limited to SD resolution etc.

Why Digital Cameras Have a 30 Minute Video Recording Limit - Tested

Heat is concerns are really valid though, and that all comes back to the point about picking the right tool for the job. If you are recording for hours at a time, in fairly good lighting conditions, then the extra benefits of a DSLR (low light performance, narrow dept of field) aren't really required. In this case, a 'handicam' would be more suited to the task, and maybe have the footage supplemented with DSLR B roll clips.
01-26-2018, 05:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Has anyone used a Gyro thingy with a K-1/KP?
I've tried SteadiCam Jr with a K-01,... they're just awkward enough to make me wish I'd used something like this,..
HG3D 3-Axis Handheld & Aerial Stabilizer Gimbal

I could tell a story,. of a local Cinematographer standing waiting with a Red on one of those style gimbals, while a,. poor quality, Director made last second changes after the clapper had been struck,..
Heavy, gets heavier quickly when you stand still and wait.

BTW Lauren, tried vMix yet for livestreamed events? 100% can recommend.
Live Video Streaming Software | vMix

If you want no movement at all, then use a tripod. If it's all static, then the type of head isn't that important (fluid head will help with smooth pans/tilts, but not as important if you want it fixed/static/locked in place).
Bought a basic E-Image tripod and head with 75mm bowl recently - 8kg rating, handles the 10kg of my Cion with Lomo anamorphic rather well, especially given it's a heck of a lot lighter then my 20 year old Manfrotto
This isn't the same model I got, but an example of a good 'bargain' priced unit that would do most applications with a DSLR sized camera
Professional Tripod System Fluid Video Head

Secondhand VG-20 or VG-30 would be perfect - K-to-E mount adapter would allow using already-owned Pentax lenses, so long as they have the Iris ring.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
A camcorder makes much better sense for long periods of unbroken video recording - many have cooling fans.
All top end Digital Production Cameras - BMD's, the Cion, Reds, Sony's, Kinefinity and Arri's, all have bodies shaped more around the heatsink and cooling fans. You can tell when the cameraop has stopped recording on many because the fan cycles up to pump more air through the heatsink.
Keeping the sensors cool that way reduces the amount of noise in the image, especially as the ISO or EI setting is increased.