Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
I've picked up a 3-axis brushless gimbal that works very well. All the SR is now done by the newer gimbal technology. Alas, I cannot use my Rode microphone anymore due to clearance issues, so I am looking at a small yet high quality bluetooth transceiver so I can do a shoulder mount shoe and have the microphone on the shoulder rig. Using a cable impacts the SR from the gimbal.

08-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah if you can mount the mic on a cage, or a static part of the gimbal body, then this can be routed to an separate external audio recorder instead, with the audio tracks realigned in post.

Gimbal tech has come a long way fairly quickly, and is very impressive now. I'm still quite sad to see the requirement for this, given the same tech hardware (conceptually) is in play on the camera sensor, and has been for many years now. Pentax just don't want to use it for video anymore, whereas other companies have now perfected this.
10-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Actually I prefer the way my K-5 stabilized video compared to the GX80 which has in body AND in lens stabilization working at the same time. Now the GX80 is much, much more effective. But there was something to the way the K-5 stabilized video... it looked handheld, but like a much heavier camera, perhaps with shoulder mount. The GX80 I can (and even have to) hold relatively steady with one hand at 100mm (so 200mm 35mm eq), if I hold it with two hands it sometimes deactivates the stabilization, which turns everything into a terrible mess.
07-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #19
rsk

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
Yes, richandfleur ... I am pretty aware of these problematic things, as you will know.

Because some of us still work with the K7 and K5... and some have postively looked at the old mechanical SR I still posted these tests and prooves.
Some of us always felt that Pentax should open mechanical sensor-SR for video-mode again. Now we see they have closed it for good reasons - even if it was of some help to some of us - if done very aware.

Yes, this is rotten past - but never dies - as we still (and me) have a Pentax K5 or even K7 ... Right ?
Maybe "just for the record" only ... OK ?
I remember how the K7 was launched with fanfare that its RS worked well in video mode. It was one of the selling points. If this turned out a failure when deployed among the users, it's unfortunate that it took so much time and trial & error.