Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Turn off SR for video?

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if it is possible to turn off shake reduction on Pentax DSLRs while shooting video. If so, is there any model that doesn't allow for this? I was thinking of picking up a newer body in a month or two when some money comes in, but anymore I don't want to spend a lot on a body that doesn't do video. I don't like the way video looks with SR on, hence the question.

08-11-2017, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax beat you to it! The newer bodies actually have a neat feature where you can't turn SR on for video!
08-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if it is possible to turn off shake reduction on Pentax DSLRs while shooting video. If so, is there any model that doesn't allow for this? I was thinking of picking up a newer body in a month or two when some money comes in, but anymore I don't want to spend a lot on a body that doesn't do video. I don't like the way video looks with SR on, hence the question.
Yes, you can turn it off. Video SR is electronic and really bad, so you'll always want it off. They promised the return of mechanical SR via firmware for the K-1 and KP, but we haven't seen any such update yet.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What kind of camera are you using now? Your profile says you own a K10D. Does that even do video?

08-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
What kind of camera are you using now? Your profile says you own a K10D. Does that even do video?
No, it does not. I should say that my profile hasn't been updated in many years, and I currently have a couple of non-Pentax cameras, as well as an ist ds. Anyway, my question was about a possible upgrade a little bit down the road, not with the cameras I have now.

---------- Post added 08-11-17 at 09:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, you can turn it off. Video SR is electronic and really bad, so you'll always want it off. They promised the return of mechanical SR via firmware for the K-1 and KP, but we haven't seen any such update yet.
But are there any where it can't be turned off?
08-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
No, it does not. I should say that my profile hasn't been updated in many years, and I currently have a couple of non-Pentax cameras, as well as an ist ds. Anyway, my question was about a possible upgrade a little bit down the road, not with the cameras I have now.

---------- Post added 08-11-17 at 09:24 PM ----------

But are there any where it can't be turned off?
No.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No.
That's good to hear. Thanks!

08-13-2017, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, as above, they all have the option to enable or disable the stabilisation.

In stills it's still real mechanical sensor stabilisation, but in video it's an electronic software attempt, which frankly isn't very good. Ok for small movements, but goes nuts at times because it has to guess at what's shaking vs actual intended movement.

Best option is to disable it at all times during video, and when you are tripod mounted or intentionally panning in stills.
08-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Eletronical SR - unusable.

Mechanical SR for video would have to be reinvented by Pentax (besides the copyright of other systems) And there are many companies these days who have a good 5-axis-image stabilisation
Once we liked the mechanical SR by Pentax K7 and K5 a little more - but today it is not acceptable any longer. Going back in time would serve nobody.

In case you haven't seen this example for the old Pentax-mechanical SR start at minute 1:18 (K7 and K5 had the same SR)
08-27-2017, 02:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry, Tom but I must strongly disagree with this video. I had K-7 and the footage I shot with it was much better than even the first section of your linked video. At one point I wonder if the user even had SR enabled.
Every IBIS system has a level of bounce-back when 'panning' too quickly. SR is a 'shake reduction' system 'SHAKE' as in unsteady hands. Not a swinging/panning reduction system. This will always confuse IBIS and is an unrealistic expectation on the part of the user to assume otherwise.
If you want smooth pans, use a tripod and a fluid head.
08-27-2017, 04:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My K5 did just the same RETURNMENT with the SR - and I once had two of them in my posession !

Maybe your shootings where not that smoothly and controlled like in my testing-demonstration ?
Also in very slow panning it can be overseen, especially if not so "flatmoving" as in my peacefull scenery above.
The same in very wild situations, when one can miss-out this "bug" because so much is happening for the watcher anyway ...

Of course SR was On here. Only excuse: It may have been broken - other than in your K7 ... >> see also
You can see the function in the always-turning-back to the original-standpoint, which seems to be logical for this kind of sensor shake reduction.

Yesterday I had been in the shop again to do some pannings and focus experiments with the GH5. There was almost no such false returning of
the 5-axis stabilisation - plus two axes on the 12-35 lense - plus electronic stabilisation ... as far as I could see in the viewfinder. I have written the
clips to my own SD-card and will see now what came out of that ...
Yes, there is a little image-turning-back as well ... but that might just be a reflex of my muscle-moves that prevent a full stop here.

Full HD MOVE transcoded by Premiere to mpg.4 - H.264

Directly from my website: ... GH5 proudly presents: "THE PANNING"

............................................. or here - uploaded to YouTube:

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-27-2017 at 07:27 AM.
08-27-2017, 05:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh well. I tried.
08-27-2017, 05:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

There is one situation Steve, where the SR on my K7 surprised me a lot - positively - when shooting from a driving tripod:

(...and your training can sophisticate the SR: >> as commented in here << ...)

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-27-2017 at 07:34 AM.
08-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Newer IBIS implementations account for panning. Remember Pentax hasn't touched real mechanical stabilisation in video for 5 years or so now, so any reference to previous attempts are quite old in tech terms.

In stills Pentax has addressed the panning aspect.

Feature 3? PENTAX K-3 II | RICOH IMAGING
08-28-2017, 01:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, richandfleur ... I am pretty aware of these problematic things, as you will know.

Because some of us still work with the K7 and K5... and some have postively looked at the old mechanical SR I still posted these tests and prooves.
Some of us always felt that Pentax should open mechanical sensor-SR for video-mode again. Now we see they have closed it for good reasons - even if it was of some help to some of us - if done very aware.

Yes, this is rotten past - but never dies - as we still (and me) have a Pentax K5 or even K7 ... Right ?
Maybe "just for the record" only ... OK ?