Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2017, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 Video is not that bad

I spent all day making videos on my K1 with various wide angle lenses. This is the first time I've ever made any videos with my K1 camera.

I viewed these videos on my one year old, 55-inch, LG digital TV. The TV is set to "auto" aspect ratio, and it auto selected the 16:9 ratio (black bars at top and bottom, but with no distortion of the image) when playing my K1 videos. The K1 was hooked up directly to the TV with an HDMI-mini / HDMI cable. Obviously, no post processing was done.

Both my wife and I liked the videos the best that were made with the Sigma 18-35mm Art lens.

This Sigma lens vignettes when taking still photos on my K1 below 28mm. However, this lens does not vignette at all in video mode at 23mm and above!!!

My camera settings included: FF crop mode, Full HD / 24P, Aperture Priority Mode (Av) at f/2 and f/5.6, no shake reduction, AWB, exposure compensation -1. I focused the lens manually on a tripod.

On my 55-inch TV, the videos produced by the K1 and Sigma 18-35 Art looked just as colorful and clear as the "HD" digital channels we watch from Spectrum/Charter cable TV.

If you've never made a video with your K1 camera, don't let all of the negative reviews and Internet comments get you down, give it a try and like me, you just might be surprised to discover that K1 videos are actually not that bad!

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 08-20-2017 at 04:11 PM.
08-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #2

link to some video?
08-20-2017, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I spent all day making videos on my K1 with various wide angle lenses. This is the first time I've ever made any videos with my K1 camera.

I viewed these videos on my one year old, 55-inch, LG digital TV. The TV is set to "auto" aspect ratio, and it auto selected the 16:9 ratio (black bars at top and bottom, but with no distortion of the image) when playing my K1 videos. The K1 was hooked up directly to the TV with an HDMI-mini / HDMI cable. Obviously, no post processing was done.

Both my wife and I liked the videos the best that were made with the Sigma 18-35mm Art lens.

This Sigma lens vignettes when taking still photos on my K1 below 28mm. However, this lens does not vignette at all in video mode at 23mm and above!!!

My camera settings included: FF crop mode, Full HD / 24P, Aperture Priority Mode (Av) at f/2 and f/5.6, no shake reduction, AWB, exposure compensation -1. I focused the lens manually on a tripod.

On my 55-inch TV, the videos produced by the K1 and Sigma 18-35 Art looked just as colorful and clear as the "HD" digital channels we watch from Spectrum/Charter cable TV.

If you've never made a video with your K1 camera, don't let all of the negative reviews and Internet comments get you down, give it a try and like me, you just might be surprised to discover that K1 videos are actually not that bad!
+1. Fully agree. I have made several videos that I thought were completely acceptable. Using a quality lens helps.
08-20-2017, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
CDW
Site Supporter

The K1 is certainly capable of delivering video that is more than acceptable to many people. I certainly see a lot of cell phone video, shot vertically instead of horizontally, that is poor quality when viewed on a conventional large screen set, and inferior to K1 video. I also find the K1 video superior to video clips I shot years ago when I owned a 5Dmk2, and everybody was raving about its video quality at the time. However, SONY and Panasonic have advanced the performance levels of HD and UHD in consumer and prosumer camera bodies beyond anything Canon, Nikon, much less Pentax, are delivering at this point. If I want to shoot video I use my GH4 simply because my K1 won't even come close.

08-20-2017, 06:41 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Most folks chase the specs and forget the craft and the content.
Even more so for videos, so I've never been too bothered about all the speak about Pentax video being behind.

For those who need the video for high end work, yes, they need superior formats, etc.
But for the layman, most cameras do pretty well already for video if the user knows what he/she is doing.
08-20-2017, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Most folks chase the specs and forget the craft and the content.
Even more so for videos, so I've never been too bothered about all the speak about Pentax video being behind.

For those who need the video for high end work, yes, they need superior formats, etc.
But for the layman, most cameras do pretty well already for video if the user knows what he/she is doing.
Exactly.

What makes a video rewatchable has to do with things like plot, story, action, production values, and general editing. Quality of the video footage is certainly a factor as well, but most you tube/facebook videos fall apart long before you get to the quality of the video footage shot.

At the same time, really old movies like Rear Window or Casablanca are still rewatchable, even though they aren't HD because of the other factors at play.
08-20-2017, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Concerning the title of this thread, for what a K1 costs, the video should definitely be better than "not that bad".

08-21-2017, 02:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Concerning the title of this thread, for what a K1 costs, the video should definitely be better than "not that bad".
The K-1 price is commensurate to other full frame cameras. In fact, it is cheaper than most. One of the biggest things that people don't like about Pentax video is that they disabled the mechanical SR that was present in the K5 series of cameras and made possible an electronic SR (that doesn't work very well and can degrade the video).

I think it is understood that when you pay 1800 for a full frame camera, you are getting more in the package than just the ability to shoot videos. It should be at the level of cameras like the D610 and 6D/6D II, which it pretty much is.
08-21-2017, 03:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I remember (about 7 years ago) being impressed by a bunch of videos made with the K-x. Stuff like the Munnbrothers and others put up on YouTube:

I'm sure that, technically, the K-1 can produce even better video than a modest little camera like the K-x can.
08-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K-1 price is commensurate to other full frame cameras. In fact, it is cheaper than most. One of the biggest things that people don't like about Pentax video is that they disabled the mechanical SR that was present in the K5 series of cameras and made possible an electronic SR (that doesn't work very well and can degrade the video).

I think it is understood that when you pay 1800 for a full frame camera, you are getting more in the package than just the ability to shoot videos. It should be at the level of cameras like the D610 and 6D/6D II, which it pretty much is.
My complaint was with the thread title, not the camera.
08-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #11

I did some K-1 video shooting by myself lately. I like the ability to make real cinema like effects due to the shallow depth of field of FF lenses.
But to be honest, that and the ability to use an external mic is the only reason for me to occasionally use the K-1 for video instead of my 1" sensor Sony RX100M3.

The sony is just miles ahead in terms of visual quality, but on the other hand you can only miss what you know about.

Things I am really missing from my small Sony:

Over-sampled full sensor readout, or at least for APS-C Crop!:

- Removes the nasty moiré on fabrics in my K-1 videos!
- Sharpens the picture considerably
- Improves noise performance considerably (better than on my K-1, but you can use brighter lenses on the K-1 of course)

better video codec

- my Sony gives considerably less "blockiness" and smearing at AVCHD, I wont even start at XAVC (50MBit/s)
- I once tried 720p 60 FPS on my K-1 but due to the blockiness I had flickering on fine fabrics which was really annoying on an FHD 26" screen already

At least 1080P at 60 FPS

- allows for smoother camera movement
- more natural family videos

Don't get me wrong, I am happy we have video at all on our K-1 and it sure is a creative tool but "video quality" is really only mediocre for the release date of that camera.

Last edited by Snakeisthestuff; 08-25-2017 at 11:08 AM.
08-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

... Why nobody shows his great K1 videos here at all ? Something unnamingly weird is happening in this Pentax Board. Just theory and moralistic nonpracticability .... somehow ... 😪
I did show plenty of my K5 material but there is no discussion at all about image quality ... Why is this thread done just like a contradictory backfighting standpoint attempt and shows not the slightest proof at all ?
Pentax followers are strange ... more or less.

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-21-2017 at 11:39 AM.
08-21-2017, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
... Why nobody shows his great K1 videos here at all ? Something unnamingly weird is happening in this Pentax Board. Just theory and moralistic nonpracticability .... somehow ... 😪
I did show plenty of my K5 material but there is no discussion at all about image quality ... Why is this thread done just like a contradictory backfighting standpoint attempt and shows not the slightest proof at all ?
Because my videos are pretty bad -- just family videos that are unwatchable for anyone but me and my kids and someday my grandkids, I suppose. That's the point I made above. People argue non-stop about quality of video and then half of the stuff on the internet (probably an underestimate) is all but unwatchable. And not because it isn't 4K either.
08-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The K-1 is a great stills camera with a modest video capability,anyone who wants to shoot"up to date" video,wouldnt use the Pentax.However,the feature is there and it worked on my K-1 when I tested it for a minute!Other brands with smaller sensors do video better.

I'd only use the K-1 if there was no alternative.....For some people this is the case.
08-22-2017, 03:45 AM - 2 Likes   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
There are several reasons why people don't bother with uploading videos ( huge file size, privacy reasons - family members in video, ..).

As per request a very short unedited video-sample (K-1 FF-Mode + DA* 55 + ext. mic Rode stereo video mic pro):
Dropbox - IMGP4859.avi

Download file for full video quality inspection (~100 MB). Original camera codec, not reencoded in any way.

PS: I did turn the electronic SR off, hence the shaking in the movie (which in my sense looks still better then the artificial "stabilized" movement of Pentax electronic SR implementation, plus I can use deshake in vdub afterwards for better electronic stabilization, if I like to).