Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2018, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Nah. I dropped my Pentax for most of my photography. The Panasonic is good enough in most situations, if not better than the Pentax (always depends on what you need). Plus it has the benefit of being so much easier to transport. There are situations where I'll put my Pentax in the bag, but they are few and far between. I just can't justify bringing it along, because the Panasonic does great video AND great stills, while Pentax does okay video and great stills, but is much heavier. And I want video too wherever I go.

And I think if I'd be doing professional work, I'd still just use the Panasonic. Maybe I'd go for a bigger Panasonic if clients want to see a professional looking camera, but I don't see much point in getting a Pentax at this point.

Limitations are usually due to technical constraints or for tax reasons (30 minutes). So I guess the 96 GB limit is because of the file system etc. The number already sounds like that...

I like to shoot concerts too, and am quite happy with my GX80. Ideally you use Panasonic lenses with IS, for the dual IS system which works really well. If you rely on in body stabilization only, it can hit its limit. Granted, with a 200mm lens (so at 400mm basically) the smallest movement would need massive movement of the sensor to balance it out. I don't think the IS is bad... it just isn't as organic and beautiful as on a Pentax... shame, because you can't use it for video on a Pentax (newer than the K-5).

I find the GX80 pocketable with the 12-32, though I'm thinking big pockets, like coats and jackets.

Manual focusing works with focus peaking, for 4K video I find it good enough. For stills I mostly use Panasonic lenses though.

@LensBeginner: Get the GX85 with the 12-32. It's quite wide, it is sharp (I'd say 50mm 1.8 levels of sharp when stopped down quite a bit), it has AF and it is tiny. And has IS, for that super smooth dual IS. Plus together with the GX85 it is really cheap. Only thing it doesn't have is a focusing ring, for obvious reasons (there's simply no space for one!).
Owning both a GX85 and a K-1 II, I would have to say that the difference in image quality for stills between the two cameras is night and day. Simply put, anytime the GX85 is inside of a building and the light is less than bright sunlight, the quality of the images is poor. There is just no getting around that small sensor. Even against my APS-C K-30, the GX85 does poorly either indoors or at night time. And that is with the 12-32 lens also. I live in California and coats and jackets are not worn most of the time Certainly not outdoors in the daytime, when GX85 is a decent stills shooter. The GX85 with 12-32 is not pocketable in my jean pockets, the way my Galaxy Note 8 is. I find the GX85 to be a great 4K video camera, but not a compelling stills camera. I have compared the stabilizer also for still pictures. Even with dual I.S. in the GX85, the stabilizer in the K-1 II is far superior, at least 1-2 stops better for long exposures.
Obviously for video it is a different story. The stabilizer for video in the K-1 II is a joke (doesn't work, basically).

06-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes K-1 for stills any top mirrorless for 4k.
07-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes K-1 for stills any top mirrorless for 4k.
Hm. A7R III?

I think a reason why the stabilizer in the K-1 works better is maybe because of the way you hold it (up to the eyes, whereas with the GX80 you may hold it away from you instead. Of course if you use the viewfinder, ignore what I just said). Also, it's heavier. I'm not one to notice IS very much in stills, so I had no problems there. It does well enough for me.

My K-5 is a low light beast compared to the GX80, absolutely, although I do like the noise pattern of the GX80 more. It looks more... organic. The K-5 has a much bigger dynamic range in low light situations though, and really above ISO 1600 I absolutely prefer my Pentax.

I always have the GX80 with me, the Pentax stays at home most of the time.
07-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Hm. A7R III?

I think a reason why the stabilizer in the K-1 works better is maybe because of the way you hold it (up to the eyes, whereas with the GX80 you may hold it away from you instead. Of course if you use the viewfinder, ignore what I just said). Also, it's heavier. I'm not one to notice IS very much in stills, so I had no problems there. It does well enough for me.
FYI, I compared the K-1 II and GX85 stabilizers for stills .
K-1 stabilization vs Olympus e-m1 mark 1 stabilization: is Oly really that good? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Have no idea why the GX85 did so poorly. Was using OVF with the K-1 II and EVF with GX85. My theory is that het GX85 is so much lighter (less than 1/4 the weight) than my K-1 with grip & lens, that any minute movement is going to affect the lighter camera more, but not the heavier camera. I have no idea if that theory makes sense But my results speak for themselves.

07-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Low light argument on the M4/3rds cameras is less of an issue if you're picking up the extra stop or so from a good quality Focal Reducer - I've dealt with the same comments about my Cion by showing how much extra range a Focal Reducer gave it - Night shots under street lights with a decent fast prime (the KM 50 1.4 or KM 85 f2) work perfectly well, which mirrors the experiences I had doing the same sort of shots on a GH-4.

Anamorphic front elements - such as the projector lens style of shooting - can also add a little more light.