Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2018, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Cool! Lol that’s my want too, 60fps 1080p at 50+mBits. 2.7k if it’s an option for stabilisation and cropping options at a 1080p output. And IBIS that works...

And I want to use all the other bits I love about the Pentax, handling, weather sealing/rugged, 2nd nature buttons, native mount etc.

Just to clarify, is that adapter giving you autofocus with that Pentax lens?
No autofocus, and in cinematography you don't want auto focus - hence the focus puller.
However the adapter works wonderfully because there is click-less adjustment of the aperture, which makes the combination even more "cinema".

Novoflex Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX/PENT

01-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
but you've got to keep the 2x crop factor in mind
Good point. Forgot to mention that in my post.
01-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Good point. Forgot to mention that in my post.
Ah...I see Lumix in a prior post. Great camera for sure.
01-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
No autofocus, and in cinematography you don't want auto focus - hence the focus puller.
However the adapter works wonderfully because there is click-less adjustment of the aperture, which makes the combination even more "cinema".

Cool, just checking and clarifying your comments re the quickshift. Agree that combo sounds ideal, good thinking

I hear you about the autofocus, although I'm loving how the ramp speed can be controlled in some newer cameras. Now camera autofocus changes can appear as if they're being rack pulled. Looks very organic, with none of that traditional zippy focus hunting etc.

01-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Cool, just checking and clarifying your comments re the quickshift. Agree that combo sounds ideal, good thinking

I hear you about the autofocus, although I'm loving how the ramp speed can be controlled in some newer cameras. Now camera autofocus changes can appear as if they're being rack pulled. Looks very organic, with none of that traditional zippy focus hunting etc.
Professionally, you blow focus, it's game over.
So not many people will ever use auto focus unless it's for a B-Camera or something that is not critical to focus.

On my FS7 I have a full Sony setup and autofocus screwed me over a few times when I thought it was working correctly. NEVER again.

Since 4K shoots creep into my workflow from time to time, you blow 4K focus and you lose your crop.
01-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Here are two shots from different shoots
Tell us more about that little fill light in the corner of the second photo?

Another advantage to the K, KM and KA series - more then 270 degrees rotation on the Focus ring on average,.. combined with a half decent Follow Focus, repeatable focus pulls are ridiculously easy.

For those without a Follow Focus, you can mark focus points on the barrel - use a white Eye Liner pencil, as it's easy to spot and easy to wipe off.

Since 4K shoots creep into my workflow from time to time, you blow 4K focus and you lose your crop.
How do you go with using remote mounted Follow Focuses?
I keep finding there's no 'feel' to the movement compared to the tactile feedback on a mechanical unit on the rails, and I suck at using those remote RF follow focuses....

For those using more modern lenses (L-series if you must,..) and mounting them to cameras with shorter lens flanges, there's electronic follow focuses that allow programed and repeatable focus pulls that plug directly in to the lens adapters.
01-26-2018, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Tell us more about that little fill light in the corner of the second photo?
HA! That is one of my secret weapons! That little light is one of these - Fiilex LED Lights - P100

When I have to shoot outside of power availability, I use a combination of the Amaran lights and the Fiilex lights. The Fiilex lights are incredibly tough and expensive, but never let me down. This is the Amaran Kit I also use - Led Video Light | Aputure Amaran HR 672

The Amarans a very cheap, but they get the job done and are a great value.

My main traveling lights are these - when I have power - P360 Classic | Fiilex LED

I use these in my studio - Fiilex LED Lights - Q1000

When I need to put out tons of light I throw in these - SpectroLED Studio 500 Daylight LED Light | Genaray

Basically lights are the things that make or break a shoot and are often the things most overlooked.

01-26-2018, 11:54 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Metabones don't support K-mount,... annoying, as they do a C/Y Speedbooster, which has Identical FFD.
Mitakon and Kipon do some models for Pentax lenses,... reviews seem to suggest the Metabones products are slightly superior.
RJ Camera also makes a speedbooster for Sony E to PK. Pentax PK lens focal reducer speed booster adapter to Sony NEX 5 6 7 FS700 FS100 VG20 EA50

The Novoflex is a premium product. I have three inexpensive PK to NEX adapters: a Fotodiox with clickless aperture, another without aperture control and one with no aperture control and integral tripod foot. IIRC, these cost around $20 each.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-30-2018 at 07:04 PM.
01-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

HA! That is one of my secret weapons! That little light is one of these - Fiilex LED Lights - P100
Ooooooo,... Single point source, I shall investigate.

This is the Amaran Kit I also use - Led Video Light | Aputure Amaran HR 672
Aputure,... Tried the Lightstorm COB120 yet?
Bloody amazing piece of kit, and the softbox options are really good quality - had one on a feature film last year and matched other sources quite nicely.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
RJ Camera also makes a speedbooster for Sony E to K-mount.
Looks a little like the Roxsen version.

I ended up grabbing a low cost EF-M4/3rds focal reducer, gutted the faux iris out of to get clearance for the PK lens aperture control lever and shield, and used a new PK-EF ring.
That got me an FF look via the M4/3rds mount I engineered for my Aja Cion.
And a KA 24mm with FF coverage, in front of a Global Shutter sensor, when you have to do a handheld/on-the-shoulder shot, is amazeballs.
01-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Looks a little like the Roxsen version.
Yeah, identical. It's a very well crafted piece, fits tight in both mounts and doesn't have the Zhongyi's protruding element that impacts some lenses.

RJ camera is the manufacturer: "Hi, This is R.J. We ve been making and selling just about any accessories you may need for your digital cameras and film cameras. Lens hood, lens adapter tubes, tripods, camera bags, lens caps, batteries, you name it."

Roxsen is a reseller: "Roxsen Digital, a professional camera accessories' seller and wholesaler."
02-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

RJ Camera also makes a speedbooster for Sony E to PK. Pentax PK lens focal reducer speed booster adapter to Sony NEX 5 6 7 FS700 FS100 VG20 EA50

The Novoflex is a premium product. I have three inexpensive PK to NEX adapters: a Fotodiox with clickless aperture, another without aperture control and one with no aperture control and integral tripod foot. IIRC, these cost around $20 each.
I need such an adapter for MFT... but on the Fotodiox site I can only find adapters without aperture control?
02-11-2018, 05:32 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Roxsen is a reseller:
The Roxsen focal reducer - I remember seeing forum comments talking them down, due to lack of any sharpness at all.
02-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #43
Veteran Member

The Roxsen focal reducer - I remember seeing forum comments talking them down, due to lack of any sharpness at all.
I don't know exactly what you are referring to, but the RJ Camera focal reducer seems pretty good for the price according to this review: joe12south | Comparing Focal Adapters: The Metabones Speed Booster vs the RJ Photo Lens Turbo
02-18-2018, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Sometimes, it's worth the research,...

Recently, I've been looking at focal reducers to get 6x7 lenses in front of my Aja Cion, reading up on the Kipon Baveyes, I followed the trail of information and found, the same company that makes the optics for Kipon, is the company that makes Lenses that Arri brand as their own,.... So I'm figuring the Kipon units should be pretty good

according to this review: joe12south | Comparing Focal Adapters: The Metabones Speed Booster vs the RJ Photo Lens Turbo
Oh, thank fu,...

"Exactly how a focal reducer does it’s magic seems to confuse a lot of people. Put simply, it’s a lens in front of your lens that focuses the full frame image circle onto the smaller M43 sensor."

At least ONE tech reviewer actually gets it, that they don't "Make your lens wider".
02-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #45
Veteran Member

At least ONE tech reviewer actually gets it, that they don't "Make your lens wider".
Theoretically, you should gain .72 stops with the RJ Turbo, but in practice I get only 1/2 stop.