Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #61
Veteran Member

BTW, here is an example of the barrel distortion. This was shot at 18mm, not 12. Just look at the shape of the box. It is just strikingly so wrong uncorrected. DXO did a great job correcting the RAW file . The uncorrected file was output from Aftershot .
Wish I could use DXO as a plug-in for Aftershot as can be done in Lightroom, but alas. I'm just not going to bite on Adobe's subscription model.
I believe I used the built-in flash for this shot. This was one of the pictures of 44 items I listed on ebay in the last week. I took most of the item pics with the new GX85 camera.

I haven't tried to check the barrel distortion with the Sigma. The GX85 built-in flash cannot work with it, as the lens is far too big, and the flash too low. And even on native Pentax K it casts some shade the lowest focal length.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX85  Photo 
03-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #62
Veteran Member

There's also a 4K photo mode, if you haven't found it yet. I believe it captures a 4:3 frame then?

I don't think I used the built in flash, I almost never use those.

Every use case is different, I don't extract stills from videos (though I guess I could, especially for the concert stuff I do (lets me not have to stop recording a good song just to take some stills)). I'm just averse to shooting JPEGs. And I like to capture the right moment, like, part of the fun is pushing the button at the right moment (or at least bursting at the right moment).

I agree that some people who claim they don't need proper video would actually enjoy it. But oh well. Not with a Pentax, I guess.

In Lightroom you can't deactivate the lens correction, though I'm never too bothered by distortion anyway.
03-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
There's also a 4K photo mode, if you haven't found it yet. I believe it captures a 4:3 frame then?
Yes, I found it. Thanks for mentioning the aspect ratio.
I just tried it, and it captures a 4:3 frame indeed, at 3328 x 2496 . Indeed 4K, but with a different aspect ratio. And you don't have to extract the frames in camera, which is tedious. It outputs an MP4 file from which frames can be extracted on a proper computer. 4:3 paper is much more available than 16:9 - I haven't found any such paper at all!
Yesterday I did a print from a 16:9 frame centered on 10x20 paper, since I had a panoramic 10x20 frame. I had white strips on the left and right sides, though.
On the other hand, there is 8.5x11 photo paper and frames easily available, and that is 1.29:1 aspect ratio and suitable for 4:3 photos with almost no crop or white.
I'd like to print larger than that, though and not sure what options are available. I can buy roll paper and cut it, but I don't want to build my own frames and/or mats. I have rolls of 13" width and 10" width currently.

QuoteQuote:
I don't think I used the built in flash, I almost never use those.
I found it very useful to photograph so many items that were stored in my garage. Many of the ceiling lights have gone out, and the replacement fluorescent tubes are no longer available as they have been phased out.
I will have to replace the ballasts eventually when it becomes too dark to accomodate new LED bulbs. There are supposedly new LED tubes that are compatible, but I tried some in my kitchen which has the same problem, and not all of the fixtures worked (I think some ballasts went out). At some point I will have to eat the expense and replace everything ...
I think a camera without a flash is much less functional, and I love that the GX85 has one. The GH5/GH5s are bigger and don't feature one, and I think that's a big con given that it would not take much more space. But these cameras are really not going after the same users, I guess.

QuoteQuote:
Every use case is different, I don't extract stills from videos (though I guess I could, especially for the concert stuff I do (lets me not have to stop recording a good song just to take some stills)). I'm just averse to shooting JPEGs. And I like to capture the right moment, like, part of the fun is pushing the button at the right moment (or at least bursting at the right moment).
With my pets, I found that sometimes out of 30 frames in one second, there is only one frame that's sharp enough and suitable for print. Hitting the shutter at the right moment is just an impossibility. Video is the only way. 60fps would actually help. The exposure and color has been surprisingly good so far on those extractions, and I have not had to do any edits at all before printing, so RAW wasn't missed. But with the GH5 or GH5s, with the 400 Mbit codec, I think there would be enough info with 10 bits of color vs 8. Ie. you could extract 10-bit PNGs instead of 8-bit JPEGs.

QuoteQuote:
I agree that some people who claim they don't need proper video would actually enjoy it. But oh well. Not with a Pentax, I guess.
Yes. Now I'm even more convinced I don't want a K-1 which is only good for stills. Of course, I wouldn't turn it down if it was free, but no way I would spend up to $2000 for it with current capabilities.
I may just never buy any Pentax body again if they don't improve the videos.

Sony mirrorless cameras are very attractive on paper with the full frame sensor, but are still reported to overheat, and have the 30 min limit. And of course there is the high price of not just the body, but lenses.

Last night, I left my camera on and recording at 4K30 with a freshly charged battery. Turned the screen off to conserve battery. Today when I woke up, there was a 1h44min file on the SD card. So now, I know approximately how long it can go on battery. I also bought an AC adapter so I should be able to go on to 96GB or 2h47min max according to what camera states.
03-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I found it very useful to photograph so many items that were stored in my garage. Many of the ceiling lights have gone out, and the replacement fluorescent tubes are no longer available as they have been phased out.
I will have to replace the ballasts eventually when it becomes too dark to accomodate new LED bulbs. There are supposedly new LED tubes that are compatible, but I tried some in my kitchen which has the same problem, and not all of the fixtures worked (I think some ballasts went out). At some point I will have to eat the expense and replace everything ...
I think a camera without a flash is much less functional, and I love that the GX85 has one. The GH5/GH5s are bigger and don't feature one, and I think that's a big con given that it would not take much more space. But these cameras are really not going after the same users, I guess.

With my pets, I found that sometimes out of 30 frames in one second, there is only one frame that's sharp enough and suitable for print. Hitting the shutter at the right moment is just an impossibility. Video is the only way. 60fps would actually help. The exposure and color has been surprisingly good so far on those extractions, and I have not had to do any edits at all before printing, so RAW wasn't missed. But with the GH5 or GH5s, with the 400 Mbit codec, I think there would be enough info with 10 bits of color vs 8. Ie. you could extract 10-bit PNGs instead of 8-bit JPEGs.

Yes. Now I'm even more convinced I don't want a K-1 which is only good for stills. Of course, I wouldn't turn it down if it was free, but no way I would spend up to $2000 for it with current capabilities.
I may just never buy any Pentax body again if they don't improve the videos.

Sony mirrorless cameras are very attractive on paper with the full frame sensor, but are still reported to overheat, and have the 30 min limit. And of course there is the high price of not just the body, but lenses.

Last night, I left my camera on and recording at 4K30 with a freshly charged battery. Turned the screen off to conserve battery. Today when I woke up, there was a 1h44min file on the SD card. So now, I know approximately how long it can go on battery. I also bought an AC adapter so I should be able to go on to 96GB or 2h47min max according to what camera states.
I do want my camera to have a flash, just in case, but I rarely use it. It's a last resort backup for me. Like I like my car to have airbags, even though I rarely use them. It's a shame Pentax dropped the flash on the K-3 II.

You can try the Cinelike D hack to get videos with more dynamic range. It gives you more freedom to edit the files, and it is pretty easy (and safe) to do.

How long the batteries last depend on if they are original ones or not. The original ones are really expensive, but they last quite a bit. The compatible batteries last maybe... 60-70% the time, however for the price of one original battery you can probably buy 10 alternative ones.

Sony mirrorless cameras tend to have huge lenses IMHO, and the colors...

03-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I do want my camera to have a flash, just in case, but I rarely use it. It's a last resort backup for me. Like I like my car to have airbags, even though I rarely use them. It's a shame Pentax dropped the flash on the K-3 II.
Agree. What bothers me also on the new Pentax bodies is that they dropped AA batteries. In body stabilization and AA battery support was what brought me to Pentax in the first place.

QuoteQuote:
You can try the Cinelike D hack to get videos with more dynamic range. It gives you more freedom to edit the files, and it is pretty easy (and safe) to do.
Oh.. Thanks for mentioning it. Googled it and appears the images are more flat in Cinelike D, actually and would need more processing. But I haven't tried it yet.
There is mention of a 200 Mbps capture mode - that would definitely be helpful to get more detail for extracted frames.

QuoteQuote:
How long the batteries last depend on if they are original ones or not. The original ones are really expensive, but they last quite a bit. The compatible batteries last maybe... 60-70% the time, however for the price of one original battery you can probably buy 10 alternative ones.
Yeah, I know. I have had very bad experiences with non-OEM lithium batteries as well on other cameras, which is why I really prefer AA Eneloops. Most of them have lasted me 10 years without any loss in capacity. I have over 100 AA/AAA eneloops in the house for various devices. Wish I could use them everywhere.

In this case, I bought an OEM Panasonic second battery as part of a kit with the charger. Yes, it was more expensive. $78 including external charger plus one OEM battery. I could have bought four chargers and 8 non-OEM batteries for that price. I think I got a great deal on the camera, so I chose to spend a little more there.

I just don't trust the non-OEM LiOn. Some inflate after 6 months of use, or completely die when left on a shelf for a year (cannot be recharged). Which is what has happened to me with many non-OEM LiOn batteries for my cell phone and Canon HG21 camcorder. The OEM ones have mostly survived the test of time, though their useful capacity has decreased.

When it's time to replace the LiOn battery packs on our Chevrolet Bolt EV and Volt, you can be sure I won't be buying non-OEM packs ...
04-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #66

Just want to thank LaurenOE for the best post I have read in years here!!! I've been struggling with glass for my a6500 but have a bag full of K mount stuff and never thought of adapting them.
04-21-2018, 09:04 PM - 2 Likes   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by charchri4 Quote
Just want to thank LaurenOE for the best post I have read in years here!!! I've been struggling with glass for my a6500 but have a bag full of K mount stuff and never thought of adapting them.
Sweet! Thanks!

I'm heading to Japan to film for a month (I am the camera woman for a motorcycle tour for my company) and I went to the local camera store to see if there was something akin to the DA 12-24, DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 in APS-C for Sony.

Nope.

Think about that for a second...a F/4 and two F/2.8 APS-C lens and Sony has nothing to match that.

So once again, it will be a Pentax/Sony/NovoFlex project.

And now you know why I pull my hair out when Pentax does not offer a camera with 1080p/60 at 50mbit...at the LEAST.

04-21-2018, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

Only issue I have with the 4K frame extraction as stills, is that you tend to pick a shutter speed with blur for video, that you don’t necessarily want for stills.
04-22-2018, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
And now you know why I pull my hair out when Pentax does not offer a camera with 1080p/60 at 50mbit...at the LEAST.
Seconded.
04-24-2018, 03:01 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Sweet! Thanks!

I'm heading to Japan to film for a month (I am the camera woman for a motorcycle tour for my company) and I went to the local camera store to see if there was something akin to the DA 12-24, DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 in APS-C for Sony.

Nope.

Think about that for a second...a F/4 and two F/2.8 APS-C lens and Sony has nothing to match that.

So once again, it will be a Pentax/Sony/NovoFlex project.

Join the micro side of the force....
04-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Seconded.
Thirded, and please add in 60fps p too please, so we can get some buttery slow mo action happening in post.
04-25-2018, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Thirded, and please add in 60fps p too please, so we can get some buttery slow mo action happening in post.
Maybe the K-1 V will do it, when Canikon is doing 8K ?
05-01-2018, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #73

Photos: Gallery
Agreed, I wish Pentax would at least give quality 1080p, I can't even entertain the thought of 4k yet. I find it quite irritating that I have to get another camera just for video and lens and the entire setup, and the risk with pentax is if a user switches to Sony and gets set up with Sony lenses, the image quality is pretty good with outstanding video quality and if they just opt for one system, they will switch to sony and Pentax will lose users who want to do video as well.

The entire reason Panasonic and Sony have gained so much following is because of their video capabilities, people vlog and like taking videos and sharing it more than photos now, so its time Pentax did some catch up..
05-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by donpjt Quote
The entire reason Panasonic and Sony have gained so much following is because of their video capabilities,
Truth.

And we keep having the Stills-Only-Luddite crowd keep on campaigning to block any advancement of video features.....
05-02-2018, 03:10 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I just rolled into Japan...decided to take along the K1 in addition to all the Sony stuff I am traveling with. It's a rainy and misty night...perfect for the K1 in downtown Tokyo. Pentax is always my goto field camera...but all I can get is 1080p/30 with a standard bit rate. Probably just order room service and catch up on some sleep.

If Ricoh would just understand that video is also part of a field camera load out I could leave so much of my Sony stuff home.