Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-1, K-3, K-01 Video Limitations?

Do these still have a limit of about 20-25 minutes video recording in one "take".

Also what about overheating? My K-5 or K-7 used to overheat recording video.

Shooting a wedding tomorrow and have the church's Canon video recorder for one fixed angle, but using two of my DSLRs for alternate angles to mix together in Premiere Pro afterwards. Service might be 30+ minutes. The Canon will pick up the main shot, but I know I will probably have to get to one of the cameras and stop/start recording (which is doable), but not if the camera is going to overheat on me too

The third, most likely the K-1 will be in my person (monopod) for more dynamic angles and quick fill shots.

I normally shoot video with the K-01 (in my studio for game unboxings, etc...) and it has not gone yellow, but those videos are only about 10-15 minutes each.

Thoughts?

01-05-2018, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe the recording limitation remains, even on the K-1, because the memory card is formatted in FAT which has a maximum file size limitation which is reached around the time you mentioned. Stopping and starting the shot, creates a new file and the countdown begins all over again. I can't comment on overheating since I don't have any experience with those cameras nor long video sequences. Ambient temperature most certainly plays a role, and overheating is more likely to occur if the surrounding temperature is high (e.g. summer outdoors, camera is located in the sun, etc.).

Best to try some shots before hand and see what happens. Be sure your batteries are fully charged in all cases when you begin, and have some backup batteries on hand.
01-05-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The 25 minute limitation is because in the EU they tax video recorders at a higher rate than cameras. The breakpoint is about 25 minutes. If it can record over that time limit its a video camera and attracts a higher tax rate.

Also agree on the file size limitation. I've got 2 Canon 5D Mark IIs and they will do about 12 minutes for a 4GB file.

Regards

Chris
01-06-2018, 02:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There are a number of things which can limit the length of a video:

File size maximum 4GB (the camera doesn't make a difference between FAT32 and exFAT so you can't get around it using SDXC cards) You can only record longer by filming at lower quality and/or resolution. Otherwise you have to start a new recording. Ricoh should resolve this with a firmware update (don't know if other manufactures have done this already).

Maximum recording time 25 minutes. (the EU has a tax rule saying camera's that record for 30 minutes and longer are high and and are taxed heavier. Why it is 25 and not 29 beats me. Maybe some other country that has different rules. The EU has just reached a new trade agreement with Japan. I don't know whether this will affect the restrictions on video).

Overheating (there is no set time for this, it is dependent on the circumstances).

Also there is the limitation of not being able to use mechanical SR in video on the K-3 and K-1. It uses inferior digital SR (inferior because IQ suffers from it). It is best to turn digital sr off and shoot from tripod or with some sort of hand held external stabilizer.

01-06-2018, 03:43 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There are a number of things which can limit the length of a video:

File size maximum 4GB (the camera doesn't make a difference between FAT32 and exFAT so you can't get around it using SDXC cards) You can only record longer by filming at lower quality and/or resolution. Otherwise you have to start a new recording. Ricoh should resolve this with a firmware update (don't know if other manufactures have done this already).

Maximum recording time 25 minutes. (the EU has a tax rule saying camera's that record for 30 minutes and longer are high and and are taxed heavier. Why it is 25 and not 29 beats me. Maybe some other country that has different rules. The EU has just reached a new trade agreement with Japan. I don't know whether this will affect the restrictions on video).

Overheating (there is no set time for this, it is dependent on the circumstances).

Also there is the limitation of not being able to use mechanical SR in video on the K-3 and K-1. It uses inferior digital SR (inferior because IQ suffers from it). It is best to turn digital sr off and shoot from tripod or with some sort of hand held external stabilizer.
AFAIK the K-01 also uses digital SR.

Why they don't just continue recording to a new file after 25 minutes is beyond me, but do plan ahead so that you can split the recording at a set time in order to capture everything.

Overheating shouldn't be an issue unless it's hot outside.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Why they don't just continue recording to a new file after 25 minutes is beyond me, but do plan ahead so that you can split the recording at a set time in order to capture everything.
Thought the same thing. In fact, it seems our church Canon true video recorder does this same thing. Or I didn't format the new SD cards in camera, so it did. 30 minute chunks, but that's all good. But it seems obvious to just flow into a second file if space permits.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Overheating shouldn't be an issue unless it's hot outside.
It was a problem with the K-5 or K-7 in the past, cannot remember which. Inside, in the winter. It'd get a yellow or red temp sensor and lock up.

They handled just fine. The K-01 can do about 16 minutes. The K-3 did 20. I thought the K-3 would not need to be restarted, but the wedding order was slightly different than I'd expected and had to get to the front, start it one more time, only to have the first bridesmaid stand right in front of it!

The K-01 and K-1 did fine though. Had to restart the K-01 a couple of times (restart = start recording again). I like that it does a countdown timer vs. the others which just start counting upwards from 0 when recording.

K-1 was monopod mounted and I used it to create smaller segments.

Now onto Premiere Pro (after backing all the files up first!)

Thanks all!
01-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Check the file sizes on your K-1 and K-01 cameras when they had topped-out files (right click - properties) and see if they have the same file size. I believe the K-1 might top out first time-wise since it generates slightly more data in a given period of time but you're probably ending up with the same size maxed out file.

As long as you know when they max out, it's not too hard to work around it unless you're using the camera unattended.
01-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Check the file sizes on your K-1 and K-01 cameras when they had topped-out files (right click - properties) and see if they have the same file size. I believe the K-1 might top out first time-wise since it generates slightly more data in a given period of time but you're probably ending up with the same size maxed out file.

As long as you know when they max out, it's not too hard to work around it unless you're using the camera unattended.
Yeah, was going to be unattended. I had the K-1 myself and shot start and stop as needed (though I used stabilization on a monopod thinking I would need it for wobble... guess my hands are too steady!). The K-01 and K-3 were going to be unattended, but I just shot back by there and reactivated the shutter on each.

The best solve would be for Pentax/Ricoh just auto roll to a new file.

01-24-2018, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Since 2012 every Pentax camera has about the same video specs, and none have real mechanical sensor stabilisation anymore.
This is one area that Pentax is now miles behind in, with constant small tweaks of the same video offering.

I get that many/(most ?) Pentax users don't use video, but even to stay slightly in the ball park of current, they should have addressed this by now.
We're going on 6 years with no improvement in this area, which is really sad/poor.

Time limits are always going to be capped at 25min on current devices, regardless of the video settings you pick (resolution/star quality level etc).

Over heating doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as it once was on modern Pentax cameras, but you've got to be sensible about it.
Personally I think that if you're regularly recording for longer than 25min at a time, then a DSLR may not be the right tool for the job.
A DSLR brings better low light performance and narrower depth of field, but if you don't need this for your subject matter, then you might want to purchase a basic video camera designed to do that.
01-26-2018, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Record time varies according to frame rate - roughly 16 minutes at 30fps, 19 minutes at 25fps, and just slightly longer again for 24fps.
That's the point at which the data rate and the frame rate combine to hit the file size limit.

K-01,.. if you can over heat one, you've done spectacularly well. I've seen the Temp Warning symbol ONCE in the last four years, and that was working in direct sunlight on a 40+ deg Celsius day.

K-5 was the last Pentax to use Sensor Shift Stabilization - On ALL other Pentax's since, turn OFF "Movie SR",.. Tripod highly recommended, or wider focal lengths for handheld/shoulder rig use.

Auto Restart / New File,.. I believe that's an option on new Panasonic cameras, and is possible on Canon's using Magic Lantern - I for one would love a scripting option for Pentaxes that allows sequential file recording.

Rather then Premiere, give Resolve a go, it seems to do a better job decompressing the h.264 CoDec, if you shoot on the 'Muted' profile, you can recover a lot of hidden details in the highlights and shadows, and the colours of Pentax cameras are still superior - the colour accuracy in skin tones rivals cameras a lot more expensive, so long as you make sure to plan a shot to put as much of the CoDecs bit allowance in to the important parts of the image.
04-16-2018, 12:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Auto Restart / New File,.. I believe that's an option on new Panasonic cameras, and is possible on Canon's using Magic Lantern - I for one would love a scripting option for Pentaxes that allows sequential file recording.
Actually, my Panasonic DC-GX85 can do do continuous recording in some modes, including 4K / 30p. No need for any auto-restart.
Magic Lantern on my T3i was nice, but you still missed some frames and sometimes up to a second or two or video. Not suitable for live event recording