Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What is causing this?

Hi all, I did a shoot today. Can you take a look at this footage? This has happened once or twice before but I can't seem to make it happen reliably and I am wondering what is causing it.
Dropbox - IMGP9664.MOV

So the camera is a K3ii with the 100mm Macro on it. It is locked off on a tripod and has the Movie SR on. Watch as hi walks down the hall. The entire image goes up and down to keep his body in the same position so the light switch bounces up and down. Is this due to my failing to turn off the SR? I tried to reproduce it at home but it didn't happen and this is the only shot it has done it on on the whole shoot. Can anyone identify the reason?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Phil

01-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure it's the camera's digital shake reduction messing up the video. Turn the "Movie SR" off and give it another try (2nd tab, 3rd item down, in movie menu). I think that'll take care of your problem.
Daryl
01-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've never used movie mode, the guy struts up and down and I think the anti shake fixed on him and started going up and down with him. This is a total guess but its what it looks like to me.
01-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil_Rose Quote
So the camera is a K3ii with the 100mm Macro on it. It is locked off on a tripod and has the Movie SR on. Watch as hi walks down the hall. The entire image goes up and down to keep his body in the same position so the light switch bounces up and down. Is this due to my failing to turn off the SR?
Phil
Phil, yes, almost certain you should have turned off SR. Anytime the camera is locked down on a tripod, SR will actually cause "shake" and not compensate for a handheld shot at slower shutter speeds.

01-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I saw a shot on the national news once where a group of athletes in training were doing jump-ups together and the whole room was going up and down with the athletes mostly stationary - had to look at it three times (DVR) before I figured out what was happening and then I couldn't believe they would use that video.

Can you do it when you want the effect??? Probably not
01-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all. It's funny that it only happens sometimes. Ah well, I will arrange a reshoot!

Phil
01-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, movie SR, stuffing otherwise good footage since ages ago.

In your case it's moved the footage up and down, but very often it warps it so your content stretches in all different directions.

Even though it's all electronic in video mode (no real sensor movement going on) it's still best to switch it off if you are using a tripod.

(To be honest it's best to switch it off altogether in video mode).