Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 01:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
You'd need to ask Sony. The software requires that a specific version of Quicktime be installed. I am aware of the issues surrounding that.
This should be grounds for stopping the use of this Sony product, IMO.

QuoteQuote:
Cool. As I mentioned earlier, I can't justify the price of the pro level Adobe products (a 12 month subscription for Premiere and After Effects is AUD$686). I may try a demo version of Premiere Elements just to see if the rendering is better than the other software I've got, because AUD$145 for a license (as opposed to subscription) is bearable. Anyway, as I mentioned above, simply playing the raw video shows softness which isn't going to get better after editing. Thanks for the info!
I can't justify the Adobe prices either ! I hate subscriptions of any kind.
You should give the Cyberlink software a try. There are free trial versions available on their site. It may not be as full-featured as Vegas Movie studio (which I also tried, but gave up on), but it's a lot easier, IMO. Also renders way faster, especially if you have an nVidia GPU or a Skylake CPU that supports Quicksync.
PowerDirector is definitely going to cost you less than $100 . They ship upgrades every year, but you don't have to use them.
One feature I really like in PD is the automatic synchronization of multiple video or audio clips by audio analysis. Works great, and I'll never have to manually align video & audio clip tracks again. I always record my audio separately, as in-camera audio is never good enough for me.
AFAIK, most other consumer video editing software still cannot do this.

03-10-2018, 05:20 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
This should be grounds for stopping the use of this Sony product, IMO.
Maybe. As I mentioned, I originally used it before it was a Sony product (back in 2002). It's hard to give up a product you've become very familiar with.

QuoteQuote:
PowerDirector is definitely going to cost you less than $100 . They ship upgrades every year, but you don't have to use them.
One feature I really like in PD is the automatic synchronization of multiple video or audio clips by audio analysis. Works great, and I'll never have to manually align video & audio clip tracks again. I always record my audio separately, as in-camera audio is never good enough for me.
AFAIK, most other consumer video editing software still cannot do this.
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll take a look.

Sounds like you need a camera-recorder setup that can be linked with SMPTE.
Product: DR-701D | TASCAM
03-10-2018, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

@RobG: I'd recommend trying Da Vinci Resolve 14 (from BlackMagic Design, Aussie company). The free version has almost everything you could realistically need to edit, colorize etc your footage.
It also now includes full Fairlight Audio post production tools.
I use it on a fairly old machine without problems to edit all the videos I shoot at our local music club.

PS: It handles all my .MOV and .MTS files without any complaints.

Here's the link to download
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/davinciresolve/

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 03-10-2018 at 08:02 PM.
03-11-2018, 04:33 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
@RobG: I'd recommend trying Da Vinci Resolve 14 (from BlackMagic Design, Aussie company). The free version has almost everything you could realistically need to edit, colorize etc your footage.
It also now includes full Fairlight Audio post production tools.
I use it on a fairly old machine without problems to edit all the videos I shoot at our local music club.
PS: It handles all my .MOV and .MTS files without any complaints.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a try too. Fascinating to see the name Fairlight in connection with Video. I know they created a CVI after the CMI, but it's mostly the CMI that I know.

03-14-2018, 07:18 AM   #35
Veteran Member

+1 for DaVinci Resolve from BMD - I used Edius from 1999 through to the start of 2017, which is when Resolve 12.5 became the first version that would install and run on one of my PC's.
With Resolve 14 (and the required Win10) the free version has become indispensable, and the full version at US$299 / AU$415, is worth the investment.
03-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Sounds like you need a camera-recorder setup that can be linked with SMPTE.
Product: DR-701D | TASCAM
I think this would limit me to very expensive combos.
I use a desktop PC with Firewire interfaces to record the audio. Echo Audiofire 12 an Audiofire 8a. 28 in/28 out in total at 24/96.
I have no desire to replace all my equipment. Not to mention software as well.
03-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think this would limit me to very expensive combos.
I use a desktop PC with Firewire interfaces to record the audio. Echo Audiofire 12 an Audiofire 8a. 28 in/28 out in total at 24/96.
I have no desire to replace all my equipment. Not to mention software as well.
Fair enough - the Tascam unit was just an example. I guess it depends on the level of hassle with lining up the audio and video all the time instead of having them time-code locked to each other.

03-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Fair enough - the Tascam unit was just an example. I guess it depends on the level of hassle with lining up the audio and video all the time instead of having them time-code locked to each other.
As I was trying to explain, with PowerDirector, there is no hassle at all. I just put the video & audio clips on separate tracks, highlight them, right click and do "synchronize by audio". And soon after, they are perfectly aligned, by virtue of sound that is present in the video. No need for SMPTE.
I think Final Cut can do this on Mac too. Sony Movie Studio could not, last time I checked.
03-15-2018, 02:34 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
As I was trying to explain, with PowerDirector, there is no hassle at all. I just put the video & audio clips on separate tracks, highlight them, right click and do "synchronize by audio". And soon after, they are perfectly aligned, by virtue of sound that is present in the video. No need for SMPTE.
I think Final Cut can do this on Mac too. Sony Movie Studio could not, last time I checked.
OK, cool. You have a solution which works for you and is inexpensive.

I just briefly tried PowerDirector and it's very fast to render. The result using video from my Panasonic camcorder was excellent, and rendering the same MOV files from the K3 produced much the same result as with the original software (I didn't expect it to be better, but importantly it's not worse and is much faster). The source data is the problem, which is what I was suggesting at the beginning. I'll have to try recording a new source clip from the K3 using some of the settings people have suggested to see if I can get a better result.

I also just tried DaVinci. The result from rendering seemed equivalent to PowerDirector and it was just as fast to render, but the interface isn't nearly as intuitive. Something as simple as adding files required right clicking on a background section of the interface and changing the render filename required clicking on a tab which wasn't obvious. In PowerDirector you could choose to crossfade clips just by overlapping them, but this didn't happen in DaVinci. DaVinci looks like it's very powerful once you figure out the interface.

Last edited by RobG; 03-15-2018 at 03:28 AM.
03-15-2018, 04:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

OK, cool. You have a solution which works for you and is inexpensive.

I just briefly tried PowerDirector and it's very fast to render. The result using video from my Panasonic camcorder was excellent, and rendering the same MOV files from the K3 produced much the same result as with the original software (I didn't expect it to be better, but importantly it's not worse and is much faster). The source data is the problem, which is what I was suggesting at the beginning. I'll have to try recording a new source clip from the K3 using some of the settings people have suggested to see if I can get a better result.

I also just tried DaVinci. The result from rendering seemed equivalent to PowerDirector and it was just as fast to render, but the interface isn't nearly as intuitive. Something as simple as adding files required right clicking on a background section of the interface and changing the render filename required clicking on a tab which wasn't obvious. In PowerDirector you could choose to crossfade clips just by overlapping them, but this didn't happen in DaVinci. DaVinci looks like it's very powerful once you figure out the interface.
Yes, rendering speed is one of the primary advantages of PowerDirector. Though it has tons of features as well. I don't use 1% of them.
SVRT is really nifty to make lossless cuts without re-encoding. Saves tons of disk space.