Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Yes. And for the non-pros out there, fortunately, there are cheaper options than the FS5 and FS7. I'm very happy with the video quality of my Lumix GX85 in 4K at 100 Mbit.
But obviously it has a smaller sensor and doesn't offer RAW video.
Nice camera!...Have you put some Pentax glass on it?

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Using Pentax lenses with adapters makes more sense with video since you mainly want to pull focus anyway.
Yep. Pentax glass is a pretty well kept secret too.

07-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Nice camera!...Have you put some Pentax glass on it?
I tried the DA35 and DA50, which worked well. Also Sigma 10-20. So far, I'm mostly shooting with the native micro 4/3 lenses that came with the camera, 12-32 and 40-150 .
Haven't done too much with the GX85 yet though - I got it not long before my K-1 II, and have used the later much more - for stills, not video.

---------- Post added 07-08-18 at 12:37 AM ----------

Using Pentax lenses with adapters makes more sense with video since you mainly want to pull focus anyway.
For my usage it's on tripod and I'm shooting myself, so focus really only needs to be set once. GX85 does lack a camcorder-style monitor that the subject can look at, though. And also lacks IR receiver for remote, both of which my old Canon HG21 camcorder had (now sold).
But GX85 can record nearly unlimited length clips (1h45min in 4K), so the absence of those features is at least somewhat tolerable. Really wish they didn't save $2 to remove IR sensor, and no shutter release input either.

For that matter, I cannot view the articulated screen of my K-1 II while shooting video of myself either. Which any $200 camcorder has. But those have gotten rid of IR sensors too, and in that price range always lacked shutter release input.
07-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #18

Pentax glass is great!

One of my favorite parts about Pentax has been this forum, both with the ability to asks questions and also the marketplace. Is there any similar forum and/or marketplace for Sony users? I just bought a used a6500 and before I even bought any native glass I bought a pentax adapter for it. It was kind of challenging to figure out which one has an aperture ring on it, because I am hoping to adapt a few newer lenses without an aperture ring. Which adapter do you use?
07-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blueheron90 Quote
Pentax glass is great!

One of my favorite parts about Pentax has been this forum, both with the ability to asks questions and also the marketplace. Is there any similar forum and/or marketplace for Sony users? I just bought a used a6500 and before I even bought any native glass I bought a pentax adapter for it. It was kind of challenging to figure out which one has an aperture ring on it, because I am hoping to adapt a few newer lenses without an aperture ring. Which adapter do you use?
I have several of the Novoflex ones...they are awesome.

Novoflex Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX/PENT

07-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blueheron90 Quote
Pentax glass is great!

I have never found anything as good as Pentax Forum. Talkemount.com is pretty good for e-mount cameras. Fred Miranda covers most brands and is ok for Sony. Weak for Pentax.
09-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #21

Amazing!! Got an FS5 too, DA lenses with novoflex adapter are amazing.
09-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

One day, I woke up and realized that I have an FS7, FS5, A7sII, A7rII, A6500 as well as an RX100MkII...and aside from a handful of Sony glass, they are used with Pentax glass mostly.
I couldn't own the Sonys - I absolutely hate Rolling Shutter Skew, which is why the Global Shutter of the Cmosis sensor in the Cion appealed so much.
One of the Cion User Group members figured out a work flow to get the full dynamic range from the camera, and the combination of the camera, the Pentax lenses, and the post workflow, has a unique and appealing look to the footage.

And putting the camera on the shoulder without needing any rigs, it frees the operator to move with the actors and get right in for the gritty close-ups when desired.

Monitoring the Linear sensor output is a P.I.T.A. in a 'log' world,... but the efforts are worth it.

Spot on! paired with a half decent Follow Focus, the long focus throws of the K, KM and KA lenses make focus-pulls a doddle.

I've got one shot in the 'reel, where I was walking backwards, with the actress walking towards me faster then I was moving, and is kept sharp (or sharp enough), on a 50mm 1.4 wide open, with ND16 + ND8 to bring the exposure back down where needed.
And the butter-smooth movement of the lens is what made it a fairly easy shot to get in the can, and to repeat.

I'm very happy with the video quality of my Lumix GX85 in 4K at 100 Mbit.
I looked at those, and the G85, to pair with my Shogun, and if you've got the external recorder and don't need Vlog - and who really does when Panasonic makes it possible to adjust the gamma curves in camera,.. - and both the GX85 and G85 are damn good cameras.
If I hadn't been offered the Cion at US factory cost price, I absolutely would have been buying the G85.
And for bonus points, the Panasonic mirrorless 'DSLR' form-factor bodies, will use a Pentax DLi-90 battery!!!
Plus they get in-body sensor-stabilisation, just like the K-5 had seven years before,... or paired with Panasonic lenses, 5-axis Stabilization.

I would love to see what Panasonic, Sony, and now Blackmagic Design, could do with a Camcorder form factor body, using their Mirrorless ranges hardware - a current day NEX-VG-30 or VG-900.

I've said it before, Pentax should absolutely have a go at that body style, as the real advantages Pentax could bring - Ease of Use, IBIS and the Pentax Colour Science - added to a high data rate or functional HDMI output, would make for a VERY appealing product.
Especially as they seem to be able to get better performance with less Skew out of the Sony sensors then what Sony can

09-18-2018, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I couldn't own the Sonys - I absolutely hate Rolling Shutter Skew, which is why the Global Shutter of the Cmosis sensor in the Cion appealed so much.
One of the Cion User Group members figured out a work flow to get the full dynamic range from the camera, and the combination of the camera, the Pentax lenses, and the post workflow, has a unique and appealing look to the footage.

And putting the camera on the shoulder without needing any rigs, it frees the operator to move with the actors and get right in for the gritty close-ups when desired.

Monitoring the Linear sensor output is a P.I.T.A. in a 'log' world,... but the efforts are worth it.
Yep. It's not so bad with the kind of shooting I do.
09-23-2018, 02:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I looked at those, and the G85, to pair with my Shogun, and if you've got the external recorder and don't need Vlog - and who really does when Panasonic makes it possible to adjust the gamma curves in camera,.. - and both the GX85 and G85 are damn good cameras.
Yes, I have got an external recorder. No mic input on the camera though, so has to be synchronized in post. Sometimes I would prefer to shoot a quick video with good sound and no editing, but it's not to be on this camera.
The AGC makes the built-in audio miserable.

Example during this practice session :
Anyone who knows about harpsichord is aware that there are no dynamics. But the camera's AGC takes about 4 seconds to ramp up the volume, from quiet to normal level. I haven't found a way to turn off AGC.

QuoteQuote:
Plus they get in-body sensor-stabilisation, just like the K-5 had seven years before,... or paired with Panasonic lenses, 5-axis Stabilization.
My testing shows the sensor stabilization , even dual IBIS, to be very poor for stills compared to Pentax SRII on K-1 II. Can't do video comparison, but the Pentax doesn't have it, so this would be with dual IBIS turned on/off in the GX85 only. Since I use the GX85 on tripod only, it is fairly useless.

QuoteQuote:
I would love to see what Panasonic, Sony, and now Blackmagic Design, could do with a Camcorder form factor body, using their Mirrorless ranges hardware - a current day NEX-VG-30 or VG-900.
Panasonic and Sony do have camcorders. Unfortunately, very small sensors only. I tried a Sony FDR-AX33 a few years ago and returned it. Terrible indoor performance. IQ was awful, which I think is because it couldn't even AF properly in my music room at night. Even my 10 year old Canon camcorder could. No other camera has failed like that. The AX33 IQ was great for outdoors. I didn't have it in my to try the Panasonic camcorder offerings. The reviews online stated the IQ was worse than Sony, and Sony IQ wasn't good enough for me.
09-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Yeesh, I can hear what you mean with the AGC, that hiss at the start, then the jump down in level to match the volume of the harpsichord.

Does your external recorder have an analog input for audio? - I have the Atomos Shogun, it's XLR adaptor fly lead can be a little flaky in assembly quality, but it does provide a better quality recording then most camera bodies.

Stabilisation should be turned off on tripod, regardless of camera brand. There's a youtube, reviewer walking down a street in Japan at night with the G85 using the full '5-axis' mode, which is lens, sensor, and vector math, all in concert, and it looks as good as a SteadiCam Jr or Merlin would.

Panasonic and Sony do have camcorders. Unfortunately, very small sensors only.,....
Yuuuuup, wait for the "these are 'stills' cameras" luddites to weigh in with their usual anti-video whinge.

Small sensors have their place, they're used in phones, or Standard Def DV Era products

If I was going to buy a video camera based around a small sensor, I'd grab a GoPro or Yi4K+, and then apply the 'Backbone' mod for C/CS mount lenses, so I could use Cosmicar 16mm (made by Pentax) or 110 lenses.

And none of them would match what you want to do with audio inputs.

In a way, what might suit your use best, would be a secondhand Sony NEX VG-30 (APSc) or VG-900 (Full Frame), which can have XLR audio inputs, still achieve decent depth-of-field, can use Pentax lenses on a cheap K-to-E adapter,.... But don't have the colour science of a Pentax

Now, how about some Queen or Beatles on the Harpsichord? Or maybe some heavy metal ?
09-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Yeesh, I can hear what you mean with the AGC, that hiss at the start, then the jump down in level to match the volume of the harpsichord.

Does your external recorder have an analog input for audio? - I have the Atomos Shogun, it's XLR adaptor fly lead can be a little flaky in assembly quality, but it does provide a better quality recording then most camera bodies.
My external recorder is a pair of Firewire interfaces, Echo audiofire 8 and Audiofire 12 . Total of 20 XLR in Both connected to a desktop PC, running Reaper software.
I run a 12-channel XLR snake cable from the music room to the home office.
I have a bunch of mic preamps in the home office also. The one I use the most is an ART Pro audio MPA II tube preamp.
I used to record with more than 2 mics at a time, but eventually found which ones work best for piano or harpsichord, and the proper placement, and now I only record with 2 at a time.

QuoteQuote:
Stabilisation should be turned off on tripod, regardless of camera brand. There's a youtube, reviewer walking down a street in Japan at night with the G85 using the full '5-axis' mode, which is lens, sensor, and vector math, all in concert, and it looks as good as a SteadiCam Jr or Merlin would.
Right.

QuoteQuote:
Small sensors have their place, they're used in phones, or Standard Def DV Era products
Agree. But the phones still have a short recording limit, far shorter than my practice sessions. And since I'm an amateur, what I end up posting is always whatever the best footage is from long practice sessions. I only interrupt the recording manually if I have something I feel is worthwhile, so that I know to look at the end of that file. Otherwise, I can keep it going for 1hr+.

QuoteQuote:
If I was going to buy a video camera based around a small sensor, I'd grab a GoPro or Yi4K+, and then apply the 'Backbone' mod for C/CS mount lenses, so I could use Cosmicar 16mm (made by Pentax) or 110 lenses.

And none of them would match what you want to do with audio inputs.

In a way, what might suit your use best, would be a secondhand Sony NEX VG-30 (APSc) or VG-900 (Full Frame), which can have XLR audio inputs, still achieve decent depth-of-field, can use Pentax lenses on a cheap K-to-E adapter,.... But don't have the colour science of a Pentax
Have not looked at those models. I guess the price must have been way over my budget when they were new.
I have a K mount adapter to m4/3 for my GX85. I mostly use the Panasonic 12-32 lens pancake, though, as I need something wide due to recording harpsichord in the corner of the room.
I don't have any wide Pentax prime to mount . DA 35 is the widest prime I have. I do have the Sigma 10-20 APS-C in K mount.
I like the form factor of the GX85 very much. I dislike the touch screen, though. No IR sensor is a pain. I can use my phone as a remote, but it runs out of battery way sooner than the camera does. IR remote lithium battery lasts 5-10 years.
It's hard to justify spending $1500 extra on a GH5/GH5s for a 50 cent missing IR sensor part . Those do have audio inputs, though, but not XLR. Looks like there is a $400 DMW-XLR1 adapter to attach 2 XLR via hot shoe. Rather pricey, but I guess it's also a built-in stereo mic preamp and stereo A/D, so that explains the cost.
Still, wish there was also a plain XLR adapter since I have spare mic preamps. And it could go through the camera's built-in A/D in a pinch. Ideally the camera itself could feature dual mini XLR connectors It would remain compact that way. The mini XLR connectors only cost $3 each and could fit even on a GX85 if the manufacturer wanted to fit them on that chassis.

QuoteQuote:
Now, how about some Queen or Beatles on the Harpsichord? Or maybe some heavy metal ?
Sorry, not gonna happen. Baroque music only for me. And it takes me forever to learn stuff as an adult music student.
09-28-2018, 03:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

My external recorder is a pair of Firewire interfaces, Echo audiofire 8 and Audiofire 12 . Total of 20 XLR in Both connected to a desktop PC, running Reaper software.I run a 12-channel XLR snake cable from the music room to the home office.
Not exactly 'portable' with the camera

And since I'm an amateur, what I end up posting is always whatever the best footage is from long practice sessions. I only interrupt the recording manually if I have something I feel is worthwhile, so that I know to look at the end of that file. Otherwise, I can keep it going for 1hr+.
Sounds like you'd be another person for whom External Recording would be preferable - Pentax's HDMI is too messed up to be usable, but the GX85 should interface with a BMD Intensity product, running parallel to your sound recording hardware.
09-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Not exactly 'portable' with the camera
Right, and the non-portable part doesn't really bother me. Not being able to quickly start recording with decent audio does. Having to go to the home office, stop every process on the PC, turn on the firewire interfaces and mic preamps, etc. And then of course the time afterwards to transfer and sync.

QuoteQuote:
Sounds like you'd be another person for whom External Recording would be preferable - Pentax's HDMI is too messed up to be usable, but the GX85 should interface with a BMD Intensity product, running parallel to your sound recording hardware.
Not clear what the BMD Intensity would accomplish for me. The specs say it's only HD, also, while the GX85 internally already records at 4K / 100 Mbps.
10-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Not clear what the BMD Intensity would accomplish for me. The specs say it's only HD, also, while the GX85 internally already records at 4K / 100 Mbps.
I'll have to check their website again, but pretty sure the internal PCI card version had a 4K variant.
10-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I wish I could do this with a Pentax camera.
I'm hearing this much more just lately than ever before.