Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 10:08 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA* 300mm and Sony FS5 at 240fps

I shot this today using the Pentax DA* 300mm F/4 on my Sony FS5, saving to my Atomos Shogun Inferno in DnXHD 240fps.

I LOVE Pentax glass on my Sony cameras.
I wish I could do this with a Pentax camera.

Enjoy

07-01-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very good - keep it up!
Glad you are enjoying your Sony FS5 - looks like a nice piece of kit!
07-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neat seeing them shake in flight like that!

I assume the motion would not be fluid enough at the bit rate with Pentax? Other issues? In no way do I ask this to bash, just trying to understand video more, since it's an area I know very little about.

I picked up an a6000 last fall as a camera to always have with me in a small leather bag of stuff I seem to always drag with me when leaving the house, and I've been surprised at how easy it is to shoot some pretty decent video with it. As a still camera, I prefer my K3II and K1 in every way, but for video, the little Sony, while pretty basic in today's world at "only" 1080p, seems to do much better.
07-02-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Very good - keep it up!
Glad you are enjoying your Sony FS5 - looks like a nice piece of kit!
It's a great camera even without using it with the Atomos Shogun Inferno

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Neat seeing them shake in flight like that!

I assume the motion would not be fluid enough at the bit rate with Pentax? Other issues? In no way do I ask this to bash, just trying to understand video more, since it's an area I know very little about.

I picked up an a6000 last fall as a camera to always have with me in a small leather bag of stuff I seem to always drag with me when leaving the house, and I've been surprised at how easy it is to shoot some pretty decent video with it. As a still camera, I prefer my K3II and K1 in every way, but for video, the little Sony, while pretty basic in today's world at "only" 1080p, seems to do much better.
Not bashing at all

Filming Terns is one of the hardest birds to film since they are incredibly fast and unpredictable. To record RAW sensor data..at 2k and 240fps requires a ton of specialized hardware to achieve that kind of slow motion.

I use my Pentax cameras when I need to just record simple 1080p/30p since they do pretty well at that. It would be nice - and we've had countless threads lamenting - if Pentax upped their game when it came to video.

07-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I understand the challenge of filming the terns just from trying to keep up with many of the sea birds around me shooting stills. It's hard enough to just track a mallard or osprey in flight, and they are not the fastest ones out there. It looks like you had a really neat spot to shoot from regarding field of view and activity levels.

I should try more video with my Pentax cameras. I've not done enough of it to get good with manual focus, and I feel like it's pretty hard to hand hold steady without any shake reduction. This is where I've grabbed my little a6000 for video since it seems to take care of these things better than I can.

Yes, I've read many of those threads. I'm very interested in the next APS-C camera and what features it will have. While I'm more interested in improvements in AF speed, I can't help but think video is going to take a big step forward as well, at least relative to current bodies.

Last edited by clickclick; 07-02-2018 at 01:39 PM.
07-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for showing this to us. A great use of the DA*300.
07-03-2018, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Thanks for showing this to us. A great use of the DA*300.
Pentax awesomeness is not just the cameras.
The DA* glass - in APS-C - is pretty much perfect for Super 35mm video.

07-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lauren,

It would be great if you could share more of your work with us. Video or still. It is always inspiring.
07-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lauren,

It would be great if you could share more of your work with us. Video or still. It is always inspiring.
LOL...You can always go to my Vimeo channel. That is were I test and produce much of my personal stuff. In between all the cinema/video, I *do* photography too - obviously. It's funny in that people just expect me to be an accomplished photographer if I already do cinema/video. It's why I call myself a Cinematographer.

https://www.vimeo.com/laurenoe

People can't believe what is on my Vimeo channel is pretty much all my work - not something I am re-posting.
There, you can see many different genres and locations that I shoot.

07-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Lauren. I will look at the Vimeo material.
07-06-2018, 01:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I LOVE Pentax glass on my Sony cameras.
Had my film-era lenses on A7s, FS-7 and FS-5,... it's crazy how well they go together.

I wish I could do this with a Pentax camera.
Same.
Can't even use the 120fps of my Cion without huge expense

Footage looks fantastic
07-06-2018, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Had my film-era lenses on A7s, FS-7 and FS-5,... it's crazy how well they go together.

Same.
Can't even use the 120fps of my Cion without huge expense

Footage looks fantastic
LOL...you sound like me.

One day, I woke up and realized that I have an FS7, FS5, A7sII, A7rII, A6500 as well as an RX100MkII...and aside from a handful of Sony glass, they are used with Pentax glass mostly.

Imagine if I could put Pentax bodies back into my workflow the way I use Sony.

Just don't EVER call me a Sony fan-girl.

I will be a Pentaxian until I die.

07-07-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL...you sound like me.

One day, I woke up and realized that I have an FS7, FS5, A7sII, A7rII, A6500 as well as an RX100MkII...and aside from a handful of Sony glass, they are used with Pentax glass mostly.

Imagine if I could put Pentax bodies back into my workflow the way I use Sony.

Just don't EVER call me a Sony fan-girl.

I will be a Pentaxian until I die.

I think many of us have gone through this discomfort. Operating two brands seems the only solution for the foreseeable future.
07-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think many of us have gone through this discomfort. Operating two brands seems the only solution for the foreseeable future.
Yes. And for the non-pros out there, fortunately, there are cheaper options than the FS5 and FS7. I'm very happy with the video quality of my Lumix GX85 in 4K at 100 Mbit.
But obviously it has a smaller sensor and doesn't offer RAW video.
07-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Using Pentax lenses with adapters makes more sense with video since you mainly want to pull focus anyway.