Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Camtasia 9 for $20 - Humble Bundle

So I am not a video guy but I am playing with Timelapses.

To post a timelapse to Instagram takes some work. Adobe has some programs (Premier, After Affects) that will work but they cost each month.

Another program I know of that works was Camtasia.

But it was $250. So forget that.

Except the current Humble Bundle includes Camtasia 9 for $20. The latest version is Camtasia 2018 and version 9 appears to have come out in 2016.

So not the latest version, but it works. I was able to take a timelapse I created and convert it the format Instagram wants.

So I figure I would also post it here. Maybe others could use it. Or you already have a program that works fine and just ignore this.

It comes with some other software as well.

Humble Software Bundle: Up Your Game! (pay what you want and help charity)

07-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
So I am not a video guy but I am playing with Timelapses.
Hi SirTomster,

One of the best and most complete software is Lrtimelapse, integrates with Lightroom and many tutorials on the network are available.

Here the link: Lrtimelapse and Tutorials

Last edited by maw; 07-20-2018 at 12:33 PM.
07-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi SirTomster,

One of the best and most complete software is Lrtimelapse, integrates with Lightroom and many tutorials on the network are available.

Here the link: Lrtimelapse and Tutorials
Thanks.
07-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Was this in the price watch forum yesterday ?

If you need a video editor the free Davinci Resolve is fantastic
If you need a screen recording app the free OBS Studio is a solid pick too.

I have used lightroom 4 to do timelapses before.. it had a slideshow feature that would assemble movies with a bunch of images. Cutting the delay between frames down to a fraction of a second and increasing the output resolution (done in a settings file) could get you ok timelapses. I think LRtimelapses builds on that (a lot) and offers some features that let you smooth between frames better and also color grade. I suspect it could be done in Resolve but I'm not sure how to specifically. Either way the dedicated app(lrtimelapses) maw suggested would be a rather nice way to go if you really get into timelapses.

07-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Davinci Resolve
I know Davinci Resolve, but I never used.

Lrtimelapse, integrates with Lightroom and many tutorials on the network are available.
With any software even if they are optimized much better later it is likely that you will have to use the de-flicker It fixes flicker that’s common in video footage.

Here a link: for Flicker free,

I have a complete videotutorial on using Lrtimelapse and De-Flicker, but it is in Italian.
07-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Was this in the price watch forum yesterday ?

If you need a video editor the free Davinci Resolve is fantastic
If you need a screen recording app the free OBS Studio is a solid pick too.

I have used lightroom 4 to do timelapses before.. it had a slideshow feature that would assemble movies with a bunch of images. Cutting the delay between frames down to a fraction of a second and increasing the output resolution (done in a settings file) could get you ok timelapses. I think LRtimelapses builds on that (a lot) and offers some features that let you smooth between frames better and also color grade. I suspect it could be done in Resolve but I'm not sure how to specifically. Either way the dedicated app(lrtimelapses) maw suggested would be a rather nice way to go if you really get into timelapses.
Oh I will use LRTimelaps or the built in tools to create a Timelapse.

But if you want to create some additional items like a title card or add audio to the file, you will need another program.

I wanted to convert a timelapse into a format that I could upload to Instagram. I had created a timelapse using the camera software so it was a MOV file and that was huge and not compatable w/ Instagram. But was w/ YouTube.

So I needed a software to convert my MOV file into an AVI with some codec Instagram wanted. Many people recommend Adobe After Affects but I am not paying $21 a month for that. So I kept looking. I thought Camtasia would work as we use it at work to create training videos. Alas, I was not paying $250 either.

Then this sale showed up. I purchased it and was able to convert my MOV timelapse into an AVI and post to Instagram. I have also created some other videos of a family trip with some title cards. So it worked for me. I figure I would pass it on.
07-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
maw
Pentaxian

Then this sale showed up. I purchased it and was able to convert my MOV timelapse into an AVI and post to Instagram. I have also created some other videos of a family trip with some title cards. So it worked for me. I figure I would pass it on.
The AVI format is heavy, I generally convert everything to *.MP4 and you can adjust the level of compression and therefore the quality. Even if I use Premiere,
Follow this guide. Wondershare video converter
Let me know if you like.

07-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The AVI format is heavy, I generally convert everything to *.MP4 and you can adjust the level of compression and therefore the quality. Even if I use Premiere,
Follow this guide. Wondershare video converter
Let me know if you like.
Whoops I should have said .MP4. That is what it was. This is what happens when I reply without double checking.

I will check out Wondershare.

Currently I am creating a Timelapse in LRTimelapse of images taken on my trip last Tuesday. Just playing around to be sure I understand how it works and what to do. So far, it is looking good.
07-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
maw
Pentaxian

Whoops I should have said .MP4. That is what it was. This is what happens when I reply without double checking.

I will check out Wondershare.
Hi Tom,

Work calmly and you'll certainly get good results, now use Lrtimelapse and Deflicker to correct the inevitable shifts between one frame and another,
and then you can try Wondershare, I'm sure that either program can make you fall in love and become, maybe even a filmmaker, you can never say.

Good job, Mario