Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-1 for video compared to other options?

Hi, I'm looking at the K-1 for making video. How does it compare to other options in the same price range, alsno considering the second hand market?

My most recent Pentax was a K-20D a few years back, which was stolen. I have experience with several Nikon models, most recently D3100 and am quite familiar with its limitations in terms of making video.. It has problems with bad sound (no external mic), whirring noise from autofocus, camera shake, and of course imprecise autofocus which is a common problems with many DSLRs when making video.

How does the K-1 handle those issues? And how does it compare to newer bridge type cameras like the Sony a7ii for example? I've seen video samples and read reviews that make me inclined to believe that bridge cams or mirrorless cams are the way to go for best video quality.

Needless to say, my next camera must also be able to take good photos, or else I'd buy a video camera.

07-28-2018, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #2

I can't speak to the K1's inherent video capabilities or quality, but I can offer the following thoughts in general.

The very best still camera video capabilities are still only fair compared to even a good (not great) video camera in terms of sound, stabilization, and overall quality. The same can be said for video cameras which snap still photos, as well. I've long been a firm believer in having and using the right tool for the job. In our current digital age, it's pretty easy to both afford and carry along a small digital video camera capable of taking good quality HD or even 4k video. I have an HD JVC I routinely carry along in my Pentax kit. It has good optical zoom, records to an SD card, and is about half the size of my 18-55WR kit lens, and about a quarter the weight. It makes no sense to me to sacrifice the quality of video by taking it with my DSLR, just as I don't use my video camera to snap still pics, even though it has the capability.

Just my two cents. If you really want a DSLR for video, I've read that Canon is the best at this combination. But its still not as good as a good video camera.
07-28-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You do get external audio and manual exposure control with the K-1 in video mode. There is no SR, though, and it suffers from poor AF and average video quality. Overall, it's average for videos. But IMO, the best in class image quality makes up for it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Pentax video is behind the competition. For video either go with the Sony A7iii or the Panasonic GH4 / GH5 (depending on budget).

07-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Pentax video is behind the competition. For video either go with the Sony A7iii or the Panasonic GH4 / GH5 (depending on budget).

That's pretty true. Really, it depends upon what kind of videos you're wanting to make and how often you plan to do it. If this is going to be a "video first...stills second" camera for you, you'd probably be better off going with the Sony or Panasonic. But if this is going to be your primary still photography camera and you want it to be able to occasionally shoot video, Pentax might not be such a bad choice.
07-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that a long time member here - LaurenOE could help you out. I'd suggest going back and reading her posts. She uses the K1 commercially for video production. Here is her thread on using the K1 for video where she works...Here are the threads she has started.
07-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's the link:

Search Results - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
rsk

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
If this is going to be a "video first...stills second" camera for you, you'd probably be better off going with the Sony or Panasonic.
Thanks to all of you. There were several interesting things brought up there. I realize that I should have mentioned that I need my videos to have professional quality, i.e. good enough for TV. In terms of photography, my emphasis is mostly on performance (speed of focus, sensitivity in low light settings, easy handling). I don't do landscape or architecture, more often action or "unexpected" photo opportunities.

I'd consider buying a small video cam to use in addition to my DSLR, but I am not sure I would get TV quality video from that kind of small sensor.
07-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #9
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
I can't speak to the K1's inherent video capabilities or quality, but I can offer the following thoughts in general.

The very best still camera video capabilities are still only fair compared to even a good (not great) video camera in terms of sound, stabilization, and overall quality. The same can be said for video cameras which snap still photos, as well. I've long been a firm believer in having and using the right tool for the job. In our current digital age, it's pretty easy to both afford and carry along a small digital video camera capable of taking good quality HD or even 4k video. I have an HD JVC I routinely carry along in my Pentax kit. It has good optical zoom, records to an SD card, and is about half the size of my 18-55WR kit lens, and about a quarter the weight. It makes no sense to me to sacrifice the quality of video by taking it with my DSLR, just as I don't use my video camera to snap still pics, even though it has the capability.

Just my two cents. If you really want a DSLR for video, I've read that Canon is the best at this combination. But its still not as good as a good video camera.
I would, respectfully, take issue with some of your statements. Either the Panasonic GH5 or the SONY a7III will deliver video, both 1080 and 4K that rivals professional standards. Short of professional ENG and run and gun type cameras that cost several thousand dollars or more, I know of no small affordable cameras that equal the Panasonic or SONY in delivered video quality. Both of those cameras offer multiple video recording options, have mic inputs, HDMI outputs for external recording if desired. The SONY in particular, at 24 megs full frame, delivers superb images with lower noise than a K1, or just about any other DSLR or mirrorless, for that matter, including your JVC, which likely has a much smaller sensor with inferior dynamic range and S/N performance. And Canon isn't even in the running at this point unless you get into a 5DmkIV, and it's still outperformed by any of the SONY mirrorless bodies in dynamic range and S/N. Additionally, when shooting in FF mode rather than the Super 35mm mode, the video is shot internally at 6K and down sampled to 4K. The output is superb.

It's also worth noting apps are available that allow a smart phone to provide wireless monitoring and control of both the SONY and Panasonic GH5. As for the K1, as formidable as it is as a still camera, its video capabilities are extremely limited and the actual resolution of its 1080 output is not even up to studio 720P quality, falling somewhere between that and standard def 480P.

Last edited by CDW; 07-28-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: addition
07-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Video has been reviewed well above.

If you put a pro quality external mic with a quality pre-amp on the K=1, you will get audio that rivals the best of the above alternatives.

Video is good enough for me to make a living from my K-1 videos. Whether or not K-1 video is good enough for you wholely depends upon what you will be using it for. Based upon what I'm reading in your profile, I expect the K-1's video will likely satisfy your needs too.
07-28-2018, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"I realize that I should have mentioned that I need my videos to have professional quality, i.e. good enough for TV. In terms of photography, my emphasis is mostly on performance (speed of focus, sensitivity in low light settings, easy handling)".

rsk,
Based on your stated need of pro quality recordings, I think you should stear away from Pentax. Video is okay for my rare needs, but focusing while recording and Pentax's attempt at digital video image stabilization would make achieving true pro quality difficult.
My 2¢.
Daryl

Last edited by darylk; 07-28-2018 at 06:07 PM.
07-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
rsk

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
Based on your stated need of pro quality recordings, I think you should stear away from Pentax.
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. From what the information I have available today, I'd most likely go for the Sony A7ii, all things considered, but I'm not decided yet. Will buy a new camera in the near future, though, and this thread has been very useful for my research into what options I have.
07-28-2018, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're welcome. I wish I could advise otherwise, because I want to support the Pentax brand for my future selfish wants and needs. Good luck with your decision!
07-31-2018, 06:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rsk Quote
I'd most likely go for the Sony A7ii, all things considered, but I'm not decided yet. Will buy a new camera in the near future, though, and this thread has been very useful for my research into what options I have.
FYI. If you are still shopping, I would also add the new BlackMagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K to your shopping list:

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera | Blackmagic Design

It will also be available at a good price, given it's capabilities. Cheaper than a Sony A7II, plus it will include a full Resolve license.
07-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
FYI. If you are still shopping, I would also add the new BlackMagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K to your shopping list:
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It will also be available at a good price, given it's capabilities. Cheaper than a Sony A7II, plus it will include a full Resolve license.
Yes, it sounds good...lets wait and see if its as good after the release as the build up.It could be???